The New Substitute.

His Ambition

 

Uhh… What a drag. Another day of school in this useless place. I swear if I wasn’t forced to come by parents, I’d be living the high life. No having to wake up at 7 in the morning every day. No having to waste my time in these boring classes that I don’t care about. No having to see my teacher’s stomach grow bigger and bigger each week that passes, making us all fear she might just pop that er in class one day. And certainly no having to deal with all these annoying girls squirming around for my attention, that I personally don’t want to deal with.

The only good thing about school is I get to see the guy much more than if I didn’t come. That’s the only real reason I take all this unwanted crap. And even so, I sometimes get annoyed by their crazy antics, but at the end of the day, these two weirdos are all I have as real friends.

As I forced myself to yet another long day at school, I meet up with Chanyeol and Kai who were already waiting for me. The thing is, at our school, many refer to us as the “Three Musketeers” because we are always together. “All for one, and one for all” should have been our motto, but that’s child’s play. To me, we are no more “Three Musketeers” as we are the “Troublesome Three”

I’ve heard the rumors, and we know what everybody thinks about us. Take Chanyeol, the oldest but the most childish one of the three who got held back a year and ended up with us two. We were already friends back when he was still a year ahead, but this just makes it easier for us to be together. Makes jokes about everything and loves playing pranks on the school. Some might just say ‘vandalize’, but pranks gets him into less trouble with the principal. Often, if not always, seen with a toothy smile, but everybody knows not to mess with him. If only that poor guy would have known before hand, he wouldn’t have left with a bloody and broken nose, one that would leave his face disfigured for the rest of his life unless getting plastic surgery. Stay on his good side, and you’ll be safe. One comment that makes him giggle is how his voice just doesn’t match with his face, but then again, that’s his charm.

Then we have Jongin the youngest, but everybody, including us just call him Kai. Known around the school as the playboy of the three, he can’t control himself from teasing the living daylights of the girls, and sometimes even boy, just depending on how good of a mood he is. He doesn’t really do much besides stay in first base, but that still doesn’t stop the school from talking. He’s just one of those souls that makes a good time out of a bad one. He lives for the day and everybody knows it. Sometimes though, he loves picking on fights, probably the one that starts and ends fights the most from the three of us. Despite being known all this, nobody besides Chanyeol and I get to see his other side; his shy and sensitive side. He’s really just a kid trying to be a man, but he won’t let us reveal that, and we wouldn’t tell.

Finally there’s me, and what do I say? I’ve heard the rumors. I know what they say about me. ‘The quiet one. The one kept to himself. He’s the cold one. Nothing to live for. Don’t mess with him, he’ll kill you” I know it all, and they’re probably all true. I’d rather walk around by myself if I’m not with the guys, than be stuck in a room full of people I could care less for. Anything than being stuck at school. But of course, that’s not possible, so I just it in and deal with it. Only one more year to go and I’m out of this prison.

As we walk in school, we get the usual looks and stares form the other students. I even get a glance of one of the math teachers doing the same before she quickly turns around to what she was doing. I can only smirk and continue walking towards our homeroom class. Chanyeol departs us with a nod of his head towards his own class three rooms down from ours.

This is all a routine, so we only nod back in understanding and walk in, taking our seats the teacher had forced us to sit in. My desk is near the back, next to the window where nobody can bother me. Just the perfect spot for me to escape the class lectures and doze off to my own thoughts, while Kai is closer to the front a couple of rows in front of me.

Everything was the same routine, but something was off. Our teacher Mrs. Park wasn’t there yet. She was usually there pretty early grading papers or eating her morning breakfast. Sometimes I would even see her talking to herself, or I suppose it would make more sense that she was talking to her growing stomach. I liked to imagine that she had eaten a baby and that was what she was doing, but that was just me trying to make something out of an awkward moment.

As some minutes went by, I still saw no Mrs. Park coming in and started to assume that she was probably popping that er by the vending machine or something. That or she forgot something at home and had to go get it- she had done that about 2 or 3 times before, so I wouldn’t be surprised. So in the meantime, I laid my head on the table facing the window, watching as birds flew around, mocking me for being free and able to just fly around while I was stuck in this room.

Seeing that nobody was coming, the classroom started to get rowdy, some students walking around while others talked from afar with their friends about the latest gossip and news in the Kpop group they were following and worshipping. I guess Kai was preoccupied since he hadn’t bothered to come to me, which I was fine with since I was comfortable the way I was.

Soon I heard the door open loudly and close once again. I didn’t bother to look up, but waited to hear anything.

“Ahem! Students! Take your seats please!” I heard and immediately knew who that was; the school principal. The sound of chattering hushed and movement of feet and chairs covered the room until it was quiet once again. I looked up with an uninterested face and saw Principal Kim standing in front of the classroom with a folder in hand.

“Good. Now I have everybody’s attention. Since your teacher Mrs. Park had gone in temporary leave for personal reasons starting today-“

“Principal Kim! Do you know which hospital she was going to be in? I want to go visit her some time” One of the girls up in front asked as she had her hand raised, interrupting what he was going to say.

“Ah, not right now. She’ll probably let the faculty know later. I don’t think she’s had it yet. But that’s not the point. As I was saying, since Mrs. Park is in temporary leave, we have found you a substitute for the meantime. He’ll be here for a while, while Mrs. Park is out, so please make him feel welcomed and do behave!” he warned us as he turned to the door, waiting for someone to come in.

And just then, the door opens slowly, and everybody, including myself, turns to look at the door in silence. It took about a second and in walks in a tall blonde man in khaki pants and a white dress shirt. One would presume him to be a model- no… a god! I wasn’t sure if that was him, thinking maybe this blonde man got into the wrong room, wrong building for that! But he seems to be nervous and a bit shy. That doesn’t stop the gasps from escaping from the class. I barely control myself from joining in with the group of girls.

“Please welcome Mr. Wu Fan. He will be in charge of you for now” He turns to look at the blonde man and then continues “I hope you can do a great job for us. If there is any problem, you know where the offices are.” The blonde man simply smiles and bows in reply to the principal. “Class, where are your manners? Say hello to your new teacher” Principal Kim says, now turning to us, waiting for us to respond how he wants us to respond.

Quickly everybody greets him in unison, though all I can do is stare at him; watching him smile nervously back at the class, looking at the faces till he gets to me. I notice he hasn’t spoken yet, so I wonder if his good looks will be killed with a bad voice that will make him not so godly anymore. As the class finishes, I watch the principal leave with a smile and then shuts the door.

It soon becomes awkward and quiet when we are left with our substitute teacher. I can only assume all the girls and even guys are staring him up and down. This, luckily, only lasts a couple of seconds before he finally speaks. What I assumed would be an annoying or cracked voice to clash with his looks, was in fact very, very wrong.

“Hello class. My name’s Wu Fan, but just call me Kris. I’ll be your English/writing and homeroom teacher for a while, so I hope we can get along. Umm… If there’s something you want to know, just ask away.” He finishes off, but his voice, oh god his voice! It was low and husky with an accent but totally understandable, one that would leave a good impression, and one that would certainly not be forgotten. In a way, it reminded me of Chanyeol’s voice, but I never found his attractive like I did to his.

The room was once again silent; in what I would say was astonished students from the man who finally spoke. Suddenly a brave hand was raised by one of the girls sitting closer in front.

“Mr. Wu-“

“Kris” he interrups her as he raises his hand. “Just call me Kris everybody” he looks at the class while speaking “I feel old if you call me Mr., and I prefer Kris” he finishes off with a smile and looks back at the girl who was now blushing.

“..Kris… Umm… Could you tell us about yourself?” For some reason, I’m glad she asked him, because I also wanted to know about this new teacher, but I would have never said anything.

“O-Okay” he starts off, and I can see he’s nervous as everybody stares at him; this includes me since I can’t help but just gaze at him. “Well I was born in China, as you can tell from my name, but then moved to Canada where I studied English as well as writing. Afterwards I moved to Korea where I attended college here and along the way learned Korean. During high school I was able to skip a grade ahead, and was able to finish my courses in college faster. So I’m not very old. Um… I’ve always loved English and writing, so I was very happy when I was able to get to teach you here today, though just for a while. I’m still studying so you could say I’m still a student like you guys.” He laughs as he finishes off talking about himself.

I notice another hand go slowly up and he nods to the girl for to ask away. “So how old are you if you were able to do all that then? He looks at her and then the rest of the class, debating whether he should tell us or not. I can tell because his eyes say it all, that is, until he finally speaks.

I’m 23.” The age difference only made many people happy. I couldn’t help but like this tiny fact of his. I watched him as he made his way towards his temporary desk and pick up some papers that the principal had given him, which I would assume are the attendance sheets.

It struck me odd how young he was and how lucky he is to be him with his good lucks that could easily make him famous, but questioned why he did all that he did to be here. Just a couple of years older than me, and yet he was able to accomplish so much that I couldn’t even stop myself before I noticed my hand in the air. He looked up a bit surprised and questioned me. “Yes?” he said with his husky voice. I almost regretted my hand levitating itself and my mouth coming up with words I didn’t plan on saying.

“You’re pretty young and could do other stuff if you really wanted, so why are you here? Did you always see yourself wanting to teach to a bunch of kids at a school?” Oh god, why didn’t I stop myself. I realize it sounded worse as it came out.

He looked at me a little shocked by my question, and he wasn’t the only one. Besides the whole class that turned to look at me with surprised in their faces at the boy who finally cared about something, I was also pretty taken aback myself; wondering if it was really me who said it.

This took him even longer to react and respond to than when he was debating over telling us his age. It quickly became awkward again, wishing I could just run out the room from all the tension, but I noticed his eyes become a bit serious just before he put down the papers and replied with uneasiness. “Let’s just say that this wasn’t my first choice, but things worked out for the best.” He smiled at the class and once again picked up the papers, starting to call on the roll. My mind quickly drifted away, thinking about his answer. Well if this wasn’t his first choice, then what was? What could make somebody work so hard, pushing himself through all this school stuff, just to be back here again?

“Huang Zi Tao?” The husky voice said, interrupting my thoughs. “Zi Tao? He said once again, looking around the class and back at his paper.

“Here” I manage to say as I raise my hand lazily.

“Ah, so you’re Zi Tao-“

“Tao. Just call me Tao, Kris” I grin and he catches that. He simply narrows his eyes and continues down the remaining on the list.

Well, this should be interesting. Maybe this routine of a life will get just a bit, a tiny bit interesting. 

 


Before anything, I just want to say sorry for my bad writing. I notice it sometimes changes from past to present tense, and it makes me mad that I can't stick with one, so I want to say sorry if it gets annoying. Will try to stay in the right tense.

So I saw I got like 4 four subscribers before I even posted chapter 1, so I feel special. Unlike my other two stories, I was able to come up with the chapter today while at the library. Hopefully I can keep doing this with the others. Umm... So I don't know if this is even interesting, so input would be really nice! Yes, this is all in Tao's point of view, and yes, he's pretty observant. Haha. I don't know how long the story will be, or even have a plan what's going to happen, which is weird for me, since I try to plan at least the ending, but I guess just go with the flow...? o.O

Haha, this is useless info, but I just thought it'd be cute to make their teacher, Mrs. Park, Bom Park. Hahaha, she'd be cute as a pregnant teacher! And just for visual idead, the principal is Kim Junsu. But again, this is all useless info just giving you a picture. Yeaa... random idols. 

Oh! And I'm like awkward with writing fluff, and especially Taoris fluff, so I feel like it doesn't even sound fluff, but I'll try my best and avoid any angst. Umm yea yea! Thanks for the subcribers, I hope its okay. Umm.. Umm.. I'll stop now! Thanks! Any questions and I'll try answering them the best that I can, since, you know, its a bit limited.