Chapter 3

Open Your Heart

 

Jonghyun held Jessica’s hand as they strolled downtown. She felt at somewhat at peace with Jonghyun, but something, she didn’t know what, was chewing her up little by little. He moved her hair behind her ear. “What’s wrong? Usually you are talking up a storm of amazing stories while we walk. Did you get in a fight with Krystal?” She shook her head. “Then what is it?”

“I-I don’t know.” The snow had gotten higher from last week. She was wearing a pink designer snow jacket that Jinki had bought her a while back, some designer snow boats, and skinny jeans. She wasn’t cold at all actually, although Jonghyun was freezing his off— and he was wearing more than her. They reached a corner coffee shop and Jonghyun helped her in. He shook off the snow like a wet dog and brought her to a nice table in the corner of the shop. He went to buy drinks as she stared out the window at the snow.

She decided to take pictures of the calming scenery with her cellphone. As she looked at the pictures, she played with the phone charm Jinki had bought for her. It was habit to play with it.

Jonghyun came back with the drinks. “What’re you looking at?”

“I just took a couple pictures, it’s nothing.” She put her phone back in her pocket and began to drink.

——-

Jinki took the steps to the Jung sisters’ home as her usually did. He knocked at the door. The second he did, he heard foot steps behind him. “Who are you?” Jonghyun challenged. Jinki gritted his teeth and turned to the short man.

“I am Jinki. I am just a friend of the sisters. Don’t worry, dog,” Jinki wrinkled his nose. He never spoke to anyone like he just did, but the rage he felt towards Jonghyun was unbearable. He didn’t want to act violent, that wasn’t his nature. He just wanted Jessica. Jonghyun took a slow step closer. He had a small black box in his hand. Oh no. Jinki cut off his trail to the door. “You know, Jessica isn’t home. I’m just here to talk to Krystal.” The door opened.

It was Krystal.

“What do you want, disgusting mutt?” Krystal scowled at the man. He looked at Jinki, then her, and decided to leave. Krystal let Jinki in.

“Where’s Jessica?” Jinki had lied to Jonghyun before, he actually thought Jessica was home.

“She was meeting up with Jonghyun at downtown. He texted her some about meeting there and some other stuff. So I don’t understand why his dumb was over here.”

Jinki remembered the box Jonghyun was holding. “Wait, are they dating?”

“Not officially, but it’s whatever Jessica thinks, really,” Krystal shrugged.

Jinki nodded.

——-

Jessica sat against the fountain where she was to meet Jonghyun. She was waiting for a special surprise, but in the back of her head, something was still chewing at her. She began playing with the phone charm, it calmed her down. She looked around and smiled widely. I remember Jinki and I went there last year. Her memories slipped back to her and the thing eating at her stopped. She laughed at her memories. She was wandering around downtown mindlessly. ”Open your heart to see the perfection around you,” his voice rang in her head and she smiled more. She threw her head back and yelled, “My heart is open!” When she looked in front of her, Jonghyun stood there.

“Jessica! Thank God I found you,” he smiled. I guess this is the perfection, something didn’t settle right with her. “I have a question for you.” She braced herself.

“Jessica!” Krystal called out behind her. She turned to her sister.

Jonghyun took Jessica’s hand. She looked at him. “Will you—”

“Unnie!” Krystal cried out once more.

“Will you be my girlfriend?” Jessica looked Jonghyun in the eye and before she could say yes, Krystal called out once more.

“Open your heart, Unnie!”

Jessica’s brain finally connected what the problem was. “I-I can’t…” She turned to Krystal, took her open hand, and Krystal led her to Jinki. Jinki stood in the very place where he saved her from a small cricket camping on her favorite jacket when they were in grade school. He was casual as usual, just the average Jinki. She smiled brightly as her steps sped up towards him. He opened his arms and they embraced. She closed her eyes as they hugged. Jinki smiled. She felt whole with him. Jinki picked her