Chapter 1

Open Your Heart

The snow covered porch was the only thing separating him from the woman of his dream. His own friend becoming his forever and ever. He took the steps that would change his whole life. The snow fell off of his jacket and the white lilies with each step. The note card was perfectly placed in the bouquet. He stood outside of the door, took a deep breath, and knocked. No one answered. He waited and knocked once more. No one. He sat in the old chair that his body was so familiar with and waited.

He was awakened by a light shake. His body was numb from the cold. “Jinki! Are you okay?” He looked at her. “Come inside!” she urged him. He tried to move, but he was numb as could be. She helped him up and into the warm house. She sat him on the couch and covered him in blankets, to help him defrost, as she made hot chocolate. “Jinki, why were you outside?” she called from the kitchen.

“Um…” he hesitated. “I wanted to make sure you were okay, you know, the snow and stuff.”

“Oh, I see,” she smiled as she stepped into the living room with the hot chocolate. “Sorry, I wasn’t home.”

“It’s fine. I wasn’t out for too long, I think… Yeah, so anyways, where were you? I mean I’m just curious.” Jinki’s leg began to shake like a nervous habit. Jessica sipped her hot chocolate as she down next to him.

“I was downtown hanging out with this amazing person,” her smile was bright. He sipped the warm liquid.

“Who?”

“His name is Jonghyun Kim,” her eyes trailed off into space as she began to think about him. “He’s so cool. He’s tall and muscular and handsome.” Jinki sat up straight, flexed his muscles, and fixed his hair. “He also can sing like an angel and he is hilarious.” He took in a deep breathe so he could sing and thought of a funny song. “He is also very sweet and has such a warm heart.” He touched his heart and looked up. She sighed, “I hope to see him again.” She looked at Jinki, he stiffened and sipped the drink robotically. ”Just wondering, but have you seen my sister anywhere?”

“She texted me early saying ‘Mall.’ I feel like her father sometimes,” he smiled.

Jessica laughed, “And I am her mother. Oh, one big happy family.” Jinki chuckled. Jessica’s phone began to vibrate. “A text?” She glanced at the screen. “FROM HIM!” Her fingers were incredibly quick as she replied to him. “Jinki! Want to know what Krystal did to me last night?”

“What?”

“She put a cucumber under on my pillow,” she shivered. “I nearly cried.”

“Aww, poor Sica noona, want a hug?” he offered. Jessica loved Jinki’s hugs. If she could, she would stay in his arms for forever and a day. She leaned into him and he hugged her.

“I’m glad I met you, Jinki.”

His smile glowed as he held her close. She began to listen to his heartbeat and relaxed. Time felt like it had stopped, until Jessica’s little sister, Krystal, stormed into the house completely covered in snow. Jessica withdrew from Jinki’s arms quickly.

“Thanks for answering your ing phone, sis,” Krystal hissed. Jessica’s jaw dropped and Jinki was quiet.

“Excuse me, young lady, get back here!”

“You’re not mom! off, you old hag!” Krystal screamed while she stomped up the stairs. “You only care about yourself and no one else, you selfish !” She slammed her bedroom door.

Jessica sat on the couch with her face in her hands. “I’m such a terrible sister.” Jinki comforted her by massaging her back and humming Jessica’s favorite song. “I mean because of the damn snow it’s hard to pick her up from her activities and I don’t really have anyone, but you, to help me. I just don’t know what to do.”

“You need to relax. Take this week to be yourself. I’ll handle Krystal. I promise.”

Jessica looked over her shoulder. Her eyes met with Jinki and she knew that he was serious. “Thank you, Jinki,” she smiled. She laid her head on a couch pillow and began to think. Jinki began massaging her back. “I wouldn’t be here without you.” Jinki felt this coldness settle in him after hearing those words. “Thank you, Jinki.” She closed her eyes and dozed off.

He laid her on the couch so that she was comfortable and placed the blanket over her. She smiled as she went into her simple dreamland. He escaped up the steps and knocked on Krystal’s bedroom door. “What… Jinki…?” Krystal hissed through the door. Jinki knocked again. “What…” He knocked once more. She opened it. “WHAT!” He stepped into the room before she could close the door and sat on her bed. His face said everything. “Ugh… Well… I just don’t like this Jonghyun guy Unnie is falling for. He doesn’t seem right. I want her to be with someone like you, but she’s too blinded by him. She always tells me, ‘Open your heart to see the perfection around you,’ but she doesn’t even do that. I just want her to be with you and not Jonghyun.” Jinki was thrown back by Krystal’s words. “I know you were going to ask her out today, but she was too busy with Jonghyun as usual,” she sighed. “I know you love her, but she just can’t see it.” Jinki’s leg began to shake again. “Before Jonghyun came along, she only spoke about you. You are the only man I can tolerate, the only man that will love my dear unnie genuinely, but she can’t open her heart.” The conversation went on and on, Jinki’s leg shook more and more.

Jinki stared at Jessica asleep on the couch as Krystal’s words continued to ring in his head. “Please, Jessica, open your heart,” he whispered as there was a knock at the door.