Chapter 2

Open Your Heart

 

It was Jonghyun. Jinki growled to himself as he stood up and stepped towards the door. The knocking continued until Jinki placed his hand on the doorknob. Krystal rushed down the stairs, “Jinki! Wait! I’ll answer it!” She ran to the door and opened it, pushing Jinki out of Jonghyun’s vision. “What do you want, dog?”

“Excuse me?” he was thrown back by Krystal’s tone of disrespect.

“You heard me. My sister is asleep. She needs her rest, so get off of my property before I call the cops.”

Jonghyun stepped back, a bit threatened by the younger girl. “Tell her I’ll—”

“I’m not telling her anything. You have her number, you tell her yourself. Now get off of my property.” She closed the door and locked it. Jonghyun left. Jinki clapped as he walked towards Krystal. She smiled.

“You are a wonderful actress.”

“I wasn’t acting.”

The air grew very awkward. She stared at her polka dot socks and Jinki scratched his head. “Uh… So… Are you hungry?”

“Are you going to make my favorite?” Krystal lit up. Jinki smiled and nodded. They both skipped into the kitchen.

——-

Jessica woke up to the aroma of delicious food. She smiled, “Jinki’s cooking…” She crawled off of the couch and into the kitchen. Her stomach rumbled as she took a seat next to Krystal.

“Morning, Princess,” Krystal mocked Jessica’s appearance. Jessica stuck her tongue out.

“It’s not morning.” Krystal laughed at her comeback as Jinki set the hot bowls of food in front of the sisters. Jessica eyes grew wide as she began scarfing down every single piece in front of her. Krystal modestly took one of each entree. Jinki sat down and ate what was left. They hadn’t eaten together like this since Jessica met Jonghyun. It was usually just Krystal and Jinki. Jessica wiped and began walking to the refrigerator for a drink. Krystal’s phone vibrated.

“Who is it?” Jessica questioned as she examined every label in the fridge.

“Just a friend,” Krystal blushed. Jinki looked over and saw the name, “Key ♥.” Krystal motioned for Jinki to keep his mouth shut. Jessica took a whole carton of orange juice and began drinking it. She only acted like this in front of them.

“Is it that gay friend of yours? Uhh… Key?”

“He’s not gay!” Krystal yelled.

Jessica began to laugh, “I know he’s not. It was a joke, you dork.” Krystal stay back in her chair as Jinki continued to laugh with Jessica.

“Aish… you two would make a perfect couple,” Krystal retorted. Jessica stopped laughing and stared at her. Jinki looked down at his bare chicken bones. She walked up to her room, “I have to go somewhere, I’ll be back at 11.” The kitchen was just stiff with the air of awkward emotion. Jinki looked up at Jessica as she threw away the orange juice.

“I have to get going. I’ll talk to you… later…” Jinki stood up and retrieved his things from the living room. He opened the front door, left with his heart crushed, and began to walk home.