Dusks And Dawns

Dusks And Dawns

 

 
September quickly flies and October came barging in their windows like the cold breeze it brought. Jongdae was buried under his covers, embracing ever so tightly his Rillakuma plushie that they bought a few weeks ago. He glanced at the digital clock on the nightstand, it was 3:25 in the morning, and he was wide awake. His gaze landed on the person beside him, engrossed in deep slumber.
 
The two of them were facing each other, breaths touching their faces. The younger brushed the bangs off the other's face and his thumb danced on the other's smooth and pale cheeks. "I'm glad you found me back there." He whispered with a little chuckle. Before he could turn back, he felt an arm around his waist and a figure squirmed next to him. "Don't leave Jongdae, okay?" It slurred before it gave a soft snore. It was enough for the younger to smile and drift back to sleep. 'Sleep well, my steamed bun.'
 
A few hours later, Jongdae stepped in the kitchen greeted by a red-faced steamed bun. "Good morning, your blood seems to be a bit more excited. Did you remember to stretch before you rise?" He asked while the elder turned away as a response. "Hyung, is something wrong?" He frowned, thinking that he might've caused his savior much trouble due to his stay. "I'm sorry if I -"
 
"IT'S NOT THAT!" Minseok blurted out, grabbing Jongdae's wrist and pulled him closer. "It's just that... I think... You know, if you wanna... I mean..." He fumbled the right words to say while the younger just stared at his hyung. "Doyouwanttohangoutthisafternoon?" The older said as fast as he could, eyes shut and cheeks red. If Jongdae didn't notice the meaning behind the offer, then he's a fool. And he is indeed a fool at this moment. All he could do was give the elder a questioning look. "Just.. be sure to get ready when I arrive. I'll pick you up after work." He said, gathering his stuff and double checking his uniform. And before the younger could respond, he was out the door at the speed of lightning.
 
On the way to work, Minseok's heart was pounding loudly. The afternoon was only a couple of hours away and he's never felt so giddy and nervous in his life. The friendly, calm and collected Minseok of yesterday has become a jittery, anxious and trembling being. At the duration of his stay, the people would think that he was either possessed or a doppelganger. But what he actually was during that time was a person in love. Nobody seemed to understand that.
 
--
 
Minseok's heart seemed to stop and his thoughts became fuzzy as he went inside, the first thing to see was a Kim Jongdae in a checkered polo, baggy shorts, and a fedora to add the final touch. "Do I look okay, hyung?" The older's mouth was about to respond, but no sound came out, so he just gave a nod. His cheeks were heating up again and it seems like his mind was a total mess at the moment.
 
Without much thought, Minseok grabbed Jongdae's hand and led him out of the house. The walk to their destination was quiet. The older played with his fingers to avoid losing his cool and the younger was excited and curious at the intentions of his hyung.
 
Minutes later, they arrived at a newly-opened amusement park. "I got two tickets for unlimited rides." The older said, rubbing the back of his neck. The younger threw his arms around his hyung's neck and gave him a peck on the cheek. "Thanks hyung! You're the best!" He beamed and Minseok's expression automatically softened.
 
An hour has passed and they've tried every ride except for one, the Ferris Wheel. Jongdae was struck in awe and a part of him was nervous. "Hyung, can we ride that?" Minseok just gave him a look. "I'm sorry, I'm being selfish again." the younger then followed with his head down low.
 
"No, you're not. You've never asked anything grand. You only wished for me to cook ramyun during rainy days and to hold hands when you have a nightmare." Minseok replied, patting Jongdae's head who was surprisingly a bit taller than him. "Then hyung, can you please hold my hand? I feel like this ride would be a nightmare." Jongdae replied, looking at the older with innocent puppy-like eyes. "If you don't want, we can just go and repeat the other rides." Minseok was about to turn away when Jongdae grabbed his wrist and spun him around. "NO! I mean, no, I wanna experience what this ride feels like, hyung." Minseok just gave him a nod and soon they were holding hands and lining up to get in the ride.
 
--
 
"Wow, the view's nice here!" Minseok exclaimed, still holding on to Jongdae's hand. The ride was only getting started but the city lights of Seoul were clearly seen and it looked like they were arranged to look appeasing. "Jongdae, come and take a look!" The younger could only smile in secret and follow his hyung. No words were needed because to him, this moment is much more beautiful than any view of the city lights could compare.
 
"You know hyung, there's a legend that when you pause at the top and make a wish, it would come true." Jongdae narrated seconds before they paused at the wheel's peak. "Well, what do you know. Looks like we got lucky this time." Minseok beamed. "Let's make a wish then." Both of them closed their eyes, hands still in tact with each other, and their minds unknowingly speak of the exact same wish. "Please let me live happily with the person I'm holding hands with."
 
As they felt the wheel move slowly, both opened their eyes and stared at each other. "What did you wish for, hyung?" Jongdae asked with an eager glint in his eyes. "It's a secret." Minseok replied with a wink which earned a pout from the former. "I'll tell you once the timing's right." He grinned and then a comfortable silence filled the air. Both of them were immersed in their own thoughts until it was the end of the ride.
 
--
 
"Are you tired?" The older asked as the both of them head home, which Jongdae replied with a lazy nod. "Hop on, I'll carry you on the way home." Minseok put on his coat over the latter and crouched down. "But hyung, I'd be a burden. Besides, you've done more than enough for m-" The younger's protest was cut off when Minseok carried him with surprising strength and lifted him so that Jongdae's arms was hanging on the other's neck for support. "I don't take no for an answer, besides, if you need something, I'm always here for you so don't hesitate to a-" Minseok's speech was cut off when the younger's head rested on his shoulder and soft snores were emitted. He chuckled softly and continued walking, humming a soft tune.
 
As they arrived home, Minseok softly laid Jongdae on the bed and covered him with a blanket. He stared at the peacefully sleeping figure in front of him, chest slowly heaving up and down and thoughts wandering who knows where. "I bet lots of things would happen to us from here on; amazing things and painful things." He softly muttered before planting a soft kiss on the younger's lips. "But don't worry, I'll make sure to protect you, I'll make sure to keep you safe." He then snuggled next to Jongdae and drifted to sleep. It was Minseok's first kiss, and so was Jongdae's.