Awoken

Checkmate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

     Her lids flicked open, the lungs gasping for air. 

     "Yoona," a gentle voice mumbled. 

    She couldn't hear. The pulse was running fast and excluded least sound, while a blunt coldness struck her limbs. Unpleasant and warm moisture embraced her skin. 

     The voice whispered again, "Calm down."

     Mind and emotions were spinning, which caused nausea. The view refused to adjust, blinded from unshed tears. Her breathing picked up speed and made her even greater perplexed. A tender caress landed on her forehead, after which lips respired against her left ear. 

     "Please, relax." 

    Due to unknown grounds, she began to disconnect. Knots in her muscles liberated. Her breathing started to come down to a normalized level, as the quivers reduced. Fears and horrors paled, the intellect returning and taking control again. In a moment, fragments of passed events came back, overwhelming the brain and generating a minor headache, which didn't provoke too much issue. Still, the anguish was uncomfortable and intruding, making her cover the face with the hands, to eliminate the smallest trace of light. 

     She felt the surface of bandages against her skin, wrapped around her palms. 

     "You alright?" a mouth kissed her shoulder. 

     But, there was no response. Instead, her gaze fixated at the hands, while her brain scanned and fumbled through memories to find some answers. She had no remembrance of when this had occured. 

     Excruciating pain impacted the stomach like a punch. Yoona whimpered, before she moved to lie on her left side. The muscles pounded for attention, begging for help. 

     "Is something wrong?"

     A hand landed on her elbow with a caring touch. 

     "Ne," she breathed. "I don't know. . . but I'm hurting quite a lot down here."

     To indicate what Yoona meant, she laid the right arm over the lower ribs. Without consent, she tensed up and waited out the unexpected pain. 

     She felt the mattress shift. The hand disappeared and she heard a light sigh. 

     "You experienced a panic attack," the voice mumbled. "You ran into traffic and were hit, of course."

     Lights switched on then, illuminating up the room, from walls to ceiling and floor. The sudden brilliance forced Yoona to shut her lids and wait until she had adjusted. 

     "In favor of the both of us, the collision wasn't as difficult as possible."

     "Did I get severe damage?" she whispered. 

     Once again, he sighed. "Your ribs were hit and several of them has smaller fractures. The skin at the palms were scraped quite bad during the fall. Perhaps some bruises and bumps at the skull. Nothing else."

     "Good."

     A tense silence fell.

     "You're kidding, right. . . ?"

     Now that she had accustomed to her surroundings, she could focus on the voice. At last, the mind had gotten a name from her memories.

     TaecYeon.

    Her chest swelled up from guilt and she had to gulp down the sudden lump in . Even though he didn't know, Yoona felt bad for causing trouble. Meeting his gaze was diffic

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter