Ache

Checkmate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

     A steady beat flowed out from huge speakers in the corners of the mirrored room. Loud music and screeching noises from shoes echoed between the walls. In the front of a group of 10 members, the dance instructor for the season yelled directions to everyone as she moved. Together, each member stepped in synchronization. All except one. 

     Off in her own dimension, Yoona often missed the rhythm or accidentally bumped Key at her right. Yet, she kept going. Her mind was too busy, she didn't even notice her mistakes. Until the moment she was about to make a left turn and her feet stuck together. The floor appeared to rise against her when her body succumbed to gravity. Yoona hardly managed to catch herself.

     Pain spread across her nose and cheek, down her left forearm, hip and knee. Ouch. She laid there for a moment, while her brain processed what happened. Yuri and SooYoung were the first ones at her side. Everyone gathered round, in a daze by her strange behavior. She was usually one to stay in focus and part of the front dancers in the group, with student leaders Taemin and HyoYeon. Of course, Key as well. 

     "Yoona, are you okay?" Jonghyun wondered. 

     She nodded as she got up slowly, "Yeah, I think so."

     There was a gasp when Yoona sat up properly. She couldn't understand why, but didn't get time for reflection. Something made way down her upper lip and she could taste a little bit of metal on her tongue. Gently, she touched her nostril with her finger. Momently, she jerked away, since hurt throbbed in and round her nose too. A thick, dark red liquid covered her nails and tips. 

     What? Blood?

     "We need to get you to infirmary right now," SooYoung mumbled.

     Yoona couldn't respond. She was in grasps of shock, just like the rest of her friends. The muscles in her upper body shook, and so did her legs. She could hardly stand right and was forced help from SeoHyun and Onew. SooYoung tagged along to give support, while Yuri ran ahead to warn the nurse. 

     "What's with you lately, sweetie?" SeoHyun wondered in concern.

     Onew joined in, "I've also noticed that you're not your usual self these days. Are you healthy enough?"

     Yoona smiled, happy and troubled by their anxiety. She was also glad that somebody came with her. A lot of asking glances and stares followed their small group in the corridor, which she didn't enjoy particularly much. If Yoona had been more brave, she would have told everyone off. But due to facts that her injuries was definitely spreading like wildfire already, she kept her lips sealed. 

     Just my good luck, she thought ironically. 

     After passing the offices invaded by principals and the management, they eventually reached their destination. A door was opened by the nurse, with Yuri right behind. The older woman helped carry Yoona into the room, where she was placed on a protected bed. In the matter of a few minutes, she had been disinfected, cleaned and patched up. A big square of thick cotton was taped onto her nose. H

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter