Complementary Differences - Chapter 7

Complementary Differences

“Kibummie-hyung!” Kevin grinned, bouncing in. “We had a quick quiz, and I got full marks!”

“Smartie pants.” Kibum laughed, ruffling Kevin’s hair. “All right, good job.”

Kevin smiled contentedly at the recognition he got, before gasping when he saw Kibum’s friend. “Oh! Hello, Soohyun-hyung!”

“Hey, Kevin.” Soohyun greeted, before smirking slightly at Kibum. “Well, talk to you after lunch then.”

“You can join us for lunch actually!” Kevin offered quickly, but Soohyun waved it away.

“I have my own Dongho to tease.” Soohyun secretively sent a wink to Kibum, leaving Kevin confused.

“Don’t bother about him.” Kibum shrugged, his arm comfortably placed around Kevin’s small waist. “Let’s go get lunch.”

“Who’s Dongho, by the way?” Kevin scratched his head as they made their way to the cafeteria. “I’ve never heard of him?”

“Soohyun’s been bragging about how cute he looked and how lucky he was to have found him and bought him.” Kibum shrugged. “I guess it means Dongho’s bought.”

Kevin nodded thoughtfully, jumping in surprise when a girl ran towards the both of them as soon as they reached the cafeteria.

“Kibum-sunbaenim!” The girl addressed Kibum formally, bowing a ninety degree bow before returning to a forty-five degree position, not daring to raise her head to look into Kibum’s eyes. “Please read this!”

Kibum’s eyes turned serious, casting a quick glance at the letter before turning both Kevin and him in another direction, walking away without a word.

The girl fell to the floor on her knees, devastated about the cruel rejection.

“Kibummie-hyung!” Kevin sighed angrily, shoving the older boy away. “That’s very mean!”

Kibum kept silent, hand circling around Kevin’s waist once more.

“I don’t want to talk to you, meanie!” Kevin shook his head disappointedly, queuing up for food for the first time since they usually have food delivered to their table.

Kibum walked calmly towards Kevin, pulling him out of the queue and holding both his shoulders to keep him in place. “What do you want?”

“Apologise to her.”  Kevin looked back into Kibum’s eyes, unafraid.

“No.” Kibum shook his head. “I’m not giving her hopes, I’m not reading a love letter.”

“She poured in her heart for it!” Kevin growled.

“So you want me to read it and tell her I will not go out with her?” Kibum chuckled humourlessly. “So you want to see her cry, huh?”

“You can tell her nicely at least, not just walk away!” Kevin argued back.

“Well, okay.” Kibum nodded, eyes glaring at Kevin. “CAN THAT GIRL WHO JUST CONFESSED TO ME APPEAR?”

The cafeteria quietened down, all in shock that Kim Kibum spoke.

“APPEAR BEFORE I LOSE MY TEMPER.” Kibum yelled.

The girl looked down and quickly ran out, head unable to be raised.

“Look.” Kibum gave Kevin one last glare, before raising the head of the girl and snatching the love letter from her. He pointed at the letter angrily, waving it at her face. “I refuse to read your letter, I refuse to go out with you. What do you say about this?”

“O-Okay.” She replied, frightened.

“Am I telling you this nicely enough?” Kibum’s eyes were intense, as if daring her to say otherwise.

“Y-Yes.” She stuttered, eyes welling up with tears from the fright.

Kevin stomped towards Kibum and gave him a tight slap across the face, a protective arm around the girl’s shoulder. “If that’s how you treat people, then maybe you aren’t a human! A beast! Don’t talk to me until you’ve reflected upon yourself!”

Gently and carefully, Kevin turned both his and the girl’s body around, ready to walk away. He paused after the second step, looking back with sad eyes. “I thought you’ve changed.”

Kibum felt his world come crashing down on him, as he yelled, leaving the cafeteria huffing angrily. The cafeteria kept silent (even the workers weren’t working) until they were sure Kibum was out of hearing range, before daring to return to what they were doing.

-

“I’m sorry, he usually isn’t really that mean, maybe he’s in a bad mood.” Kevin lamely said, offering the girl a bottle of water. “Are you better?”

“Mm.” She smiled brightly, thanking Kevin. “You’re…really nice.”

“Aha, thank you for that.” Kevin replied shyly, scratching the back of his neck awkwardly.

“I think…I like you.” The girl confessed.

Kevin widened his eyes, alarmed by the sudden confession. “I-I-Uh, don’t know how to treat a girl! I’ve been living with Kibummie-hyung for like four- I mean, all my life! So I might be kind of mean too, so-”

“I’m not asking you to like me back.” She smiled, standing up from the seat. “You’re just really nice and really sweet, very different from Kibum-sunbaenim. If I didn’t know better, I would have thought you both weren’t brothers.”

“Aha.” Kevin awkwardly replied, unable to say the truth.

“I should just go.” The girl bowed once again. “Thank you for this drink, I’ll be fine. Kibum-sunbaenim is right, he’s just not giving me hope so I can like someone else. Love cannot be forced, anyway. Don’t be on bad terms with your brother for me, please?”

Kevin bit his lip but nodded with a smile anyway, before the girl went away running.

“Love cannot be forced…” Kevin sighed. “But still, I think he was mean.”

-

Alexander ran towards Kevin, panting heavily. “Oh my goodness! I saw what happen in the cafeteria, you are so screwed.”

“What?” Kevin questioned, blinking.

“You just made him angry! Aren’t you going to die when you get home?” Alexander worried asked. “Especially since…you’re not really his brother.”

Kevin shrugged. “I still don’t think I’m wrong.”

“Yes, but no one says Kim Kibum is wrong. Ever.” Alexander took in a deep breath, trying to regain his breathing. “Anyway, I heard he’s kicking up a fuss wherever he’s going, and he ended up in our class looking for you! Be careful! Don’t head back yet till I tell you the coast is clear.”

“Xander-hyung?” Kevin sighed. “I’m not afraid.”

“I’m afraid.” Alexander shook his head quickly. “He’s very scary when angry, you have no idea. I heard the teachers were threatened by him, he overturned at least twenty tables and is-”

“Kevin.”


-

I'm supoosed to be back only after another week, but I couldn't resist posting and I didn't want to make you guys wait too long! Hope you liked this :D