Wish List

Smile

It’s in his second week of confinement that he sees Sehun picking up the telephone in one hand, and in the other, holding the phone number to Luhan’s home in China. Luhan flings himself against Sehun, despite it being “bad for his heart” and begs - on his knees - for Sehun to spare his parents this worry. Sehun is shocked, it’s the first time in ages he sees his hyung crying. To be honest, Sehun was getting wary of the smile, the smile that was always on his hyung’s face. Perhaps it’s this show of emotion, perhaps it’s the fact that Luhan’s kneeling on the ground in front of Sehun, that makes the younger male put down the phone, much to Luhan’s delight. The smile returns to his face, and this time, this time, Sehun thinks it’s a real smile, a smile created from pure happiness, and not one of those cheap, fake smiles that Luhan puts up as a facade.


Luhan’s dying, the doctors conclude. There is no cure for him, not even a heart transplant would save him now. Luhan accepts this with quiet dignity. It’s his life, and he’s known for the past year, that he would never live long enough to see EXO celebrate their first anniversary as one. His brothers do not accept this kindly, and threaten, blackmail, and even try to bribe the doctors into creating a cure. But there is none, and Luhan knows this full well. Luhan knows that everyone’s time must come, and that his was only coming a little soon.


His company, cruel as they may be at times, decides to give Luhan and EXO a break. Three months, they say, three months. Until he dies. Luhan’s death will be nothing but a burden. He will have to be replaced, fans will have to be pacified, grief to be dealt with. But Luhan doesn’t mind. He has agreed to the terms: he shall spend his last days with his brothers, a smile on his face. He will keep smiling. For him. For EXO.

His brothers decide that even if Luhan is to die, he shall die with smiles. His last few days must be filled with love and happiness. In an effort to make Luhan happy, they create a project: Smile. And so, they have Luhan fill out a wish list, stating everything he would like to do before he dies. Luhan does, to humor his brothers. He’s not blind to current events. He knows that these “wish lists” are never completed before the person in question dies. But still, if his brothers want to do it, he’ll go along.


Luhan’s Wish List:
1. To have EXO win the rookie award.
2. To go somewhere and have fun, just the 12 of them.
3. To put on the best performance possible.
4. To not die in the hospital.
5. To die with a smile.