Close Call

What Can You Teach Me?

Ch: 4

January had come in a flash, the mounds of snow had a fresh dusting and the shops were closing earlier. It was a great time for me and Junhong to acquire our meals, we had become masters at avoiding the occasional security cameras. He had insisted I start calling him by his real name, he said we were too close for me to not. I accepted the request instantly, happy he felt the same way. We weren't just best friends, but the only family we had.

We found a few storage containers through out the past weeks and made a make shift pantry like space in a patch of trees. It was just off a hiker's trail in our favorite city park and since it was still winter there wasn't much traffic to worry about. We also grew more wise with our money we earned and bought a small tent for shelter.

Our homey little set up was hidden in a small opening in the same thick of trees as our storage. We slowly stocked up on food for if we ever lost a chance at some or didn't luck out on an unlocked window. We raided the garbage at a high school and updated our books. We couldn't be enrolled without a physical address or guardian. In return we made do by self teaching through books we had found through out the years and even testing each other's knowledge.

Our plan was to find a job as soon as possible and once we turned eighteen, get our GED through the free programs at the small local college. Since we never lived in a real loving home we were determined to make one for ourselves. Every now again we got lucky and worked small odd jobs and got paid 'under the table'. Usually cleaning the rooms at a run down hotel room with a few nights stay as payment and free breakfast. Construction was easy to come by during the warmer seasons, but now the only thing we could manage to find was bussing tables at holiday parties.

The kitchen would be raided by the other employees, so we usually stuck with scrapped left overs from hardly touched plates. Of course we always ended up doing what we loved the most. We would do street shows were Junhong would dance and rap. When I was feeling brave we would sing together. On warmer days we would get more money and sometimes even drew a small crowd. The adrenaline would keep us warm and we would talk for hours about it while laying in our connected sleeping bags.

Slowly Junhong's nightmares were becoming more rare, but I would still sing him his song to help him sleep. It wasn't just a habit anymore, I had grown to enjoy it too. He would hold me close and bury his face in my hair to keep warm. It was comforting and had been my trick to falling asleep peacefully.

I would sing softly until my lids grew heavy, inhaling the light masculine scent of the cologne that we found half full. He had gotten so excited about finding it that he sprayed a light mist over everything in our small tent. Needless to say we had to leave the window screen covers open for a day. Now that it had faded gradually it was soothing.

One morning after another nice full night of sleep, we set out for the nearest retail super store. We had to restock on some necessities and take a welcome shower at the truck stop by the highway. The automatic doors opened and flooded us with a wave of heat from the warmed store. It felt so nice after the mile walk in the snow to get here. We split up and headed to different departments, planning to meet up outside within the hour.

I went to the where they kept the toiletries and looked around to be sure the isle was empty. I knew the cameras over looking this small area of the store didn't work for the past few years so my anxiety was low. I browsed the isle for Junhong's favorite types of deodorant, and as a treat some body spray and a small packet of dye for his hair. He always liked to keep it blonde, and for the past little while he sported a light blue patch in his bangs. It's always been his favorite color.

I looked around again to make sure the coast was clear before swinging my backpack off and quickly stuffing the pouch on the side. I zipped it up and slung it on one shoulder as I looked for the things I needed more of. A bottle of body wash and some new toothbrushes for the both of us. As well as some travel-sized styling gel, to spoil ourselves.

After I had gotten everything I was supposed to get, I roamed the store to kill some time. I smiled to myself as I looked through the men's clothing and found a black, brightly colored skull covered hoodie. The hood zipped halfway up to reveal the bottom of a skull as a mouth cover. It would be perfect for Junhong but too risky to take now. I set it back on the rack reluctantly and checked my watch to see it was time to meet back up with him.

I opened one of the small fridges by a check out line and grabbed each of us a bottle of water. I walked up to the register and took out the few wrinkled bills from my front pocket. I went to hand her the money when a familiar voice reached me, sounding horrified. I turned to see Junhong arguing with an employee, holding his backpack tightly as the older man tried to rip it away.

My throat grew dry and I turned my head back towards the cashier and threw up a wall to hide my fear and worry. I couldn't run to his rescue in case it just made things worse. As she counted out the change I looked back to see the argument taking place behind me.

'I saw you stuff it into that raggedy back pack of yours punk now you better confess and hand it over!' The man yelled as he caught hold of Junhong's arms trying to pull him towards a door behind the customer service center. 'You're crazy old man I didn't take anything! I just came to buy candy now let go of my stuff!' Junhong cried, his voice shaking as he pulled his arm out of the mans grasp.

'kid's like that belong behind bars, not running around like they own the place.' The cashier scowled at Junhong's direction before handing me my change with a smile. 'You should judge people so easily, what if he is innocent?' I glared down at the short red head. Her freckles peaking out from underneath her overly done make up.

I stuffed the change back into my pocket and headed towards Junhong to put a stop to it. Just as I reached a few feet away from them, someone stepped in front of me. 'What's the problem here man?' His deep voice was stern as he crossed his arms over his chest making his stance strong.

I opened my mouth to speak when I was cut short by an arm curling around my shoulders pulling me to the opposite direction. 'Sshhh don't say anything, Yongguk will take care of it ok?' I looked up to see a man, seemingly a little older then me with jet black hair smiling down at me. 'I can't just stand here, I have to help him please he's my best friend.' I said pleadingly trying to break from his hold. 'I understand but just watch, he'll be ok.' He patted my shoulder and turned me back towards the confrontation, once we were just barely in hearing distance.

The associate was glaring at the man called Yongguk, I think his name was, as he held a scared looking Junhong to face him. 'This is my little brother and I KNOW he would never do anything like that.' He said with his gaze hard on the older man. He stepped behind Junghong and opened his backpack, causing him to shake nervously. A small smirk cracked on the deep voiced man as he began to dig in the pack. 'See what did I tell you, nothing but the bag of candy and a hoodie.' He opened the pack further, keeping a hand on the bundled, worn out grey hoodie that Junhong carried to wear when it got extra cold.

He took out the plastic bag and threw it at the man who was staring in wide eyed disbelief. 'He even kept the receipt in there if you don't believe me. Now are we done here or should I call for your manager.' His voice held a firm note of irritation. The man looked through the bag before handing in slowly back to Yongguk. 'No sir i'm sorry or the inconvenience, and i'm sorry for accusing your brother.' He said with a forced smile before walking away in a huff.

Yongguk placed the bag back into the shocked Junhong's backpack and zipped it up. He then patted the top of his head before wrapping an arm around his shoulder. 'Come on 'little brother' we better get out of here before you get accused of something else. He turned and flashed a small smile at us before motioning for us to follow them.

The man next to me grabbed my hand in his and pulled me out of the store behind them. Once outside I ran to Junhong and pulled him into a tight hug. 'What the hell Junhong why were you so careless?! You have to be more careful please I don't want to risk you having to go away.' I buried my face into his jacket, tightening my grip around him.

He hugged me back just as tight and hid his face in my hair. 'I'm sorry Kaejin....I know I should've been more careful but I couldn't help it, I had to get something. I'll show you when we get home and i'll be more careful, I promise' He whispered into my hair before pulling away slightly. 'Thank you for that sir. I don't know how you hid everything in there so fast but i'm really grateful.' He said as he nodded at the two men in front of us.

'Not a problem kid, i've been in your shoes before. Just be more careful, alright? Now come on we will give you a ride to your place ok?' He walked to a black SUV with the other man pushing me and Junhong in the same direction. We looked at each other wearily before getting into the vehicle. We pulled out of the parking lot and I gave him directions to the park.

'My name is Himchan and this is Yongguk. I'm sorry we had to meet like that but it is nice to meet you.' He said as he turned back to smile at us warmly. 'I'm Kaejin and this is Zelo, thank you very much again for saving him back there. It was very kind of you, we know you didn't have to but we are extremely grateful.' I said as we both dipped our heads in a bow.

'It's alright no worries, but you know you really shouldn't do stuff like that. What would your parents think huh?' Himchan furrowed his brows in concern. 'We wouldn't know...' Junhong said in an even tone, his eyes in a blank haze. 'Oh...I see. Well then do you just live by yourselves? Don't you have go to school or something?' He tapped Yongguks arm with concern washing over his face. 'Himchan stop prying. I'm sure they have everything under control, don't you boys?' Yongguk said before we could answer as he looked at us through the rear view mirror.

'Right....' I whispered under my breath, grasping Junhong's hand in my own between us. Himchan fell silent and turned back to face the road. We reached the park and got out hastily. 'We can make it from here, thank you again.' I said as we waved our goodbyes. 'Yongguk...' Himchan whispered as he waved back. 'I know....I know.'