Embracing the Newness

Against All Odds

 

“So……..you and Kibum.”

“So……...you and Minho.”

Jonghyun smiles as Jinki loses the smirk on his face and chokes on the orange juice he’s sipping on, setting the cup down and crumpling to the floor as he heaves out a set of broken coughs.  It’s his fault for drinking something in the middle of a conversation, and the lawyer believes karma is almost always on his side.

Ever since last night, the novelist had teased his friend of his newly formed relationship with Kibum, going on and on about how they were so cute when they had walked in the house hand in hand, and how he had seen Jonghyun’s blush when the artist had tended to the bruise on his jaw (which has now turned into a shade of light gray).

The lawyer in turn teased Jinki about his close ‘friendship’ with Minho, except that didn’t always work out the same way it did with himself and Kibum. But he still took pleasure in making his best friend become all flustered, or in cases like these, become all clumsy and convulse on the floor in a fit of coughs.

“We’re not dating.” the older boy says weakly, finally reordering himself and sitting back down at the kitchen table.

“Sure.” Jonghyun smirks, tying his tie into place. “Says the one who choked on his orange juice at the pure mention of the athlete’s name.”

“I shouldn’t have given you that little pep talk last night. Ever since then you’ve become a bit more confident and a whole lot more conceited.”

The lawyer makes a move to advance toward Jinki, who throws up a defensive arm in front of himself as he laughs mockingly.

“You’re lucky I need to go right now.” Jonghyun glares, throwing one last threatening look at the novelist before picking up his suitcase and heading out the door.

He cringes at the sudden temperature drop, the cold air stinging his bruised jaw. He hisses and curses under his breath, quickly making his way next door.

He had offered to give Kibum a ride to and from work starting today, since Minho was always using the car anyways. The athlete opens the door and almost instantly growls at the lawyer.

“Kibum, your boyfriend is here!” the athlete calls back.

“I’m coming!” answers a familiar voice, and it has Jonghyun’s heart fluttering at the mere thought of seeing the artist again.

Minho glances over his shoulder to see if Kibum is watching, grabbing the lawyer by his collar when he sees that the coast is clear.

“Listen you,” he growls menacingly. “You better watch yourself from now on. One slip up and you’ll have the other side of your jaw crying in pain until it falls off. You got that, Kim? I’m giving you no second chances.”

He lets go of Jonghyun’s collar just in time, with the artist bounding down the steps happily with a knapsack slung over his shoulder.

The lawyer smiles at his chosen outfit; black skinny jeans with an oversized sweater that falls just below his waist. He’s simply wearing a black pair of converse shoes to top it all off.

Minho frowns. “Aren’t you going to be cold without any thick coat on?”

“I’ll be fine, dad.” Kibum rolls his eyes, smiling at Jonghyun once he draws near.

The lawyer returns it with warmly, and something passes between them that in between a spark and bang.

Minho makes a fake barfing sound and staggers over to the next room, avoiding Kibum’s slap by a mere few inches.

“Sorry about that, he’s still a little dramatic. How’s your bruise doing?” the artist says, stepping out the door and closing it behind them.

Jonghyun feels awkward standing there beside Kibum, so he reaches out to take the younger boy’s hand and pulls him toward his car.

“Its fine, the ointment you rubbed on it helped a lot.” he can’t help but notice the tinge of pink on Kibum’s cheeks, and he just barely manages to hold in a fond chuckle.

“I still don’t know why he needed to punch you like that.” the artist mumbles.

It surprises Jonghyun how quiet Kibum is being, since he’s usually so bubbly and talkative and practically screaming out his words like a rock star. Today he’s incredibly quiet in comparison to his normal self. Jonghyun’s got a feeling that it’s got something to do with himself being so nice and caring all of a sudden.

The lawyer finds the flustering incredibly cute.

To get more of a reaction, he reaches out to buckle Kibum’s seatbelt for him once they get inside of the car, and that causes the artist to look at the other with wide doe like eyes.

And holy , that’s pretty darn cute too.

“Didn’t you say last night that Minho should punch me more often? Why the sudden change of heart then?” Jonghyun says as he pulls the car out of the driveway.

He glances at Kibum, who’s caught in between trying to remember what they were talking about in the first place and trying to remember what he had said the night before. His mouth his half open and both of his hands are clinging onto the seatbelt.

Jonghyun thinks that’s adorable too.

it, the whole world is being cute today.

“Oh. Well, forget I said that.” Kibum finally responds, biting on his bottom lip because he’s disappointed he can’t come up with a better response.

Jonghyun laughs and lets one of his hands let go of the steering wheel, reaching for Kibum’s hand in his lap and intertwining their fingers together.

Almost immediately the younger boy’s face blushes scarlet, and Jonghyun just kind of wants to lean over and kiss him right then and there.

“Are you always going to be this jittery around me?” the lawyer asks teasingly.

“Did you always do these things with Taemin?” Kibum retorts.

He jumps a bit as soon as the words slip past his mouth, wondering if he’d gone too far with his harsh comment.

Jonghyun furrows his eyebrows, not really affected by the mention of the baker, but by the tone in Kibum’s voice. He sounds a bit bitter, like he’d just downed a cup of black coffee with no sugar in it.

The lawyer has a thought then. Could Kibum possibly be…….

“Are you jealous?”

The artist hangs his head down, examining their connected hands. He shakes his head wildly, not having the courage to look up at the other.

“It’s okay.” Jonghyun chuckles, rubbing the top of Kibum’s thumb with the bottom of his. “Everything feels new with you. Like everything is my first time.”

“Your cheesiness is kind of scaring me, Jonghyun.”

“I’ve held myself back long enough.”


Kibum tries his best  towriggle out of Jonghyun’s grip once they step in the building, but the lawyer is just too strong for him and he gives up and settles for leaning against the older boy’s arm instead.

“Relax, just ignore the stares.” Jonghyun reassures him.

He was a bit reluctant to come in the office with the lawyer’s arm slung around his shoulder, knowing that they’ll definitely become a hot topic between the gossips of co workers.

The lawyer couldn’t care less. He actually wanted to show off Kibum in front of everybody else.

As soon as they reach the floor with Jonghyun’s office, people stopped whatever they were doing to gawk and stare.

“Jonghyun…..” Kibum warns under his breath, but the lawyer ignores him and slides his arm down so it’s wrapped around the younger boy’s waist instead. “Jonghyun!”

All around them the workers are starting to whisper and murmur, either utterly confused or baffled.

“Mr. K!” Jenna greets from her desk. “You’re finally back! It’s great to see you and-“

 She stops mid sentence, her jaw dropping at the sight of the couple.

“Hi, Jenna.” Kibum says shyly, and the assistant looks back and forth between the lawyer and the artist.

“We’ll be in my office.” Jonghyun smirks, somehow taking pleasure in her disbelief. He steers the younger boy into his room, closing the door behind them and drawing the blinds closed just in case.

“I told you they’d stare!” Kibum groans, dropping his head in his hands.

“So? Let them stare all they want.”

“I have to go to work, Jonghyun. Not just you. And the office I have to work on is downstairs!”

“Wait, what? I thought-“ the lawyer stops, realizing that Kibum had already finished working on his office.

This whole entire time he had though they were still working in the same room. He had forgotten that he hadn’t been to the office in a whole week.

“Can’t you stay here?” Jonghyun whines, reaching for the other.

Kibum recoils and shakes his head. “I have to work.”

“But-“

“I’ll be back soon, okay?”

“Kibum-“

The artist is already out the door before Jonghyun can even take a step forward.

He watches as the younger boy stops to talk with Jenna, whose eyes instantly lighten up at his presence. The lawyer snorts and sits himself down on his chair, trying to recompose himself as he opens his laptop.

It’s the first time he’s so reluctant to get down to business, but then again, everything isn’t the same anymore ever since he’s met Kibum.

He’s still giddy about what happened the night before, when they’d finally had their first kiss, and better yet, under the snow-

Wait.

Speaking of kisses……

They hadn’t kissed again since that first time, probably because Kibum had been too busy tending to Jonghyun’s bruise.

The lawyer hadn’t thought about it until now, which is a bad idea since now he wants the younger boy back in his office more than ever.

He lets out a frustrated groan and dials in Jenna next door.

“Yes, Mr. Kim?”

“Send Kibum up here, please.”

“But-“

“I don’t care if he’s working! I said bring him up here!”

Jonghyun slams the receiver down and lets out a huff, ignoring how childish he’s being at the moment. He knows it’s stupid to call the younger boy up just because of one kiss, but he hasn’t been in love in a long time and man, he misses the mushiness and cheesiness that comes along with it.

“Wow, it’s like I’ve taken a step back in time.”

The lawyer looks up to find Minjung standing at the doorway with an amused look on her face.

“News travels fast in this building. People are already talking about ‘Mr. K’s lucky lover.’ You two have finally gotten serious, huh?” she continues, letting herself in and sitting down on one of the chairs in front of Jonghyun’s desk.

“You planned everything out with Taemin, didn’t you?”

“Almost everything. It wasn’t exactly our intention to reveal your past so quickly, but we were getting restless just watching from the sidelines.”

“I can’t believe you two.” the lawyer scoffs.

“It was obvious you were foolishly in love. Taemin sends his regards. You two look cute together, by the way.”

“I know.” Jonghyun boasts.

Minjung raises an eyebrow, momentarily thrown off guard. She’s surprised the lawyer had changed and developed so quickly. It was kind of scary to see the sudden changes, but it’s better than the old Jonghyun.

She missed him acting this way; she missed the way his eyes would sparkle whenever he talked about the person he loved. He had withdrawn so deep inside of him for the past four years, and she started to think that maybe there was no hope left after all.

But of course, all of that changed ever since Kibum came into the picture.

“What’s wrong with your face?” Minjung asks suddenly, finally noticing the dark spot on the lawyer’s jaw.

“Let’s just say I got knocked into my senses.” Jonghyun grits through his teeth.

“I’ll have to thank whoever that person was.”

“I’m sure he’d accept your thanks gratefully.”

“Minjung?” a new voice says.

She grins and turns back to the familiar face. “Kibum! It’s good to see you!”

“Hey, long time no see.”

“Well I’ll leave you two alone now. Seems like Jonghyun is eager to- don’t give me that look!”

Kibum giggles as Jonghyun gives Minjung a warning look, gesturing for her to get out of the room with a not so casual tilt of his head.

“So why’d you call me up here for?” the artist asks after she leaves the room. “I barely got started with the paint downstairs.”

“I don’t know. I just kind of miss you I guess?”

“Jonghyun, we’ve only been apart for like, five minutes.”

“I know.” the lawyer sighs, standing up from his chair and moving over to the younger boy.

He wraps his arms around his waist as Kibum looks at him questioningly, still blushing at the contact and looking away to avoid Jonghyun’s gaze.

“I forgot to do something today.” the older boy says softly.

“What is it?”

Kibum doesn’t even get a chance to blink before he feels a pair of lips landing on his own, the smell of Dolce and Gabbana perfume filling his nostrils.

He’s a bit dizzy when Jonghyun pulls back, smiling that idiot smile of his that Kibum had just discovered last night.

“This.” the lawyer says, and Kibum almost wants to roll his eyes at the other’s cheesiness.

“Mr. K?” there’s a knock at the door, followed by Jenna’s voice. “You have a meeting in five minutes; please don’t forget to look over the notes in the folder I’ve given you.”

Jonghyun begins to groan, but Kibum punches him in the chest lightly to stop him from doing so.

“Yes Jenna, thank you.” the lawyer rolls his eyes.

He turns back to Kibum. “I’m getting sick of all these interruptions.”

“Deal with it, Mr. K.” the artist teases, straightening Jonghyun’s crooked tie.

“Fine. But I demand some alone time after this.”

A/N: Short bcuz I'm lazy as and this was just a filler chapter that leads to the next one. So sorry for the broken grammar and any other general mistakes bcuz today really isn't my best day in the writing field. Anyways, I have an announcement to make. *cough* this fic might end soon *cough*

Lol no, I'm half joking. Half. I'm probably going to post a couple more chapters, probably about six more. Depends on how much more I need to write. But don't worry, there will be fluff in the next couple of chapters, I promise. Don't worry about the end yet, I'm still not 100% sure about it cuz my brain is still in shambles right now and I'm in the midst of planning so nothing is confirmed yet. But yeah, I really want to improve on my writing so I'm spending more time on my side blog which is a fanfic one as well.

I've just come up with a list of ideas for future fics, most of which will not be posted on here. The majority will be posted up on tumblr, on, you guessed it, my side blog. Shineeotpfanfics is my url, if anyone wants to check that out.........

But yeah, basically that's where I post requests and scenarios and my ongoing ideas of fanfics. Kay, I think I'm done rambling. See you guys next week! :3

tumblr_m7p7j68xnK1qmxpi5_large.gif