Something New

Against All Odds

 

The rain doesn’t stop for a long time; the powerful pounding on the windowsill seemed endless. The room was starting to get cold, due to the heaters shutting down and leaving the building eerily quiet.

Jonghyun finds himself dozing off a couple of times, always conscious of the warmth of Kibum’s back on his chest. The artist was still asleep, head bobbed down and eyes fluttered shut. For once his bow shaped lips weren’t smiling, set perfectly into a straight line.

The lawyer didn’t know what to do. He was wide awake now, the sleepiness in his system long gone. He was afraid to move in fear of waking Kibum up, but at the same time he wanted to push the artist off of him and crawl into the corner by himself.

The rain was slowly calming by now, the tapping noise on the window getting softer and softer. Jonghyun sighs and shifts around under the desk, holding his breath when the artist stirs in between his legs.

Slowly, Kibum cracks his eyes open, letting a yawn escape from his lips before craning his head back to look at the lawyer.

His eyes widen and he starts to stand up, banging his head on the desk and letting out a yelp.

Jonghyun winces upon seeing the younger boy wither in pain, headphones falling from his head and ipod softly thudding on the ground.

“Ow!” the artist moans, carefully crawling out from under the desk and hissing in pain.

Jonghyun blinks at him for a second, momentarily distracted by the sudden loss of warmth. He takes a moment to blankly stare into space before crawling out of the desk himself, shaking his head to clear the confusion.

“Idiot.” he rolls his eyes at Kibum.

The artist looks up at him and their eyes meet, locking gazes for a few seconds before Jonghyun has to turn away. For some reason he couldn’t make eye contact properly.

Kibum’s eyes linger on him for a second before bending down to the floor to pick up the ipod and earphones, setting it on top of the lawyer’s desk.

“Thanks for these, they were really helpful.”

“Yeah.” Jonghyun grunts, scratching at the back of his neck awkwardly.

There he goes again, being all weird in front of this boy.

He prays that Kibum doesn’t say something about what happened under the desk, blabbering on about something stupid and make the situation worse.

To his surprise, the artist doesn’t say anything about it. Instead, he slides the blinds to the side and looks out the window, a small relieved smile forming on his face.

“Looks like the rain is going to stop soon.”

“It’s freezing in here; I can practically see my breath.” Jonghyun says, scowling as he buttons the jacket of his suit up.

Kibum laughs and opens his mouth to breathe out on the glass, fogging a patch of the window. There’s no sign of him being scared before, the creases on his face long gone as if he wasn’t ready to cry just a few hours ago.

Jonghyun wonders how the younger boy can be so controlled of his feelings, that expression of fear and vulnerability gone as soon as it crossed his face. He was constantly being positive; he had this sort of aura around him that the lawyer just notices, that happy glow surrounding his body and making almost everyone smile with him.

It was almost scary, how he seemed so perfect and unbreakable. The older boy knows that Kibum cracked a bit a few hours back, but he barely remembers now.

“Oh! Minho texted.” the artist says, jumping as he feels a vibration in his pocket.

He fishes his cell phone out, reading the text as Jonghyun sits at his desk as far away from the younger boy as possible. He still felt uncertain around Kibum, afraid that he’ll make him do something out of character again like when they were under the desk together.

“Apparently the storm hit when he was over at your house, so he waited it out with Jinki hyung.” Kibum says, lifting an eyebrow and smirking at his phone.

Jonghyun’s expressions sours at the mention of Minho. He disliked the boy very much, ever since their encounters with each other that turned out far from friendly.

At that moment Jenna enters the room, heels clicking as she steps in the office.

“Mr. K, it seems that the building has malfunctioned during the storm so we’re all being requested to exit the building since the rain has stopped and the power is still unavailable at the moment.”

She turns to Kibum and gives him a small and shy smile, while the artist greets her with a grin, teeth showing and all. Jenna’s cheeks turn visibly pink, but for some reason Jonghyun is the only one that notices it.

“Uh, thanks Jenna.” the lawyer says, standing from his desk and looking away from her.

She nods and exits the room, grabbing her bag from her chair as she passes.

“Guess I’m walking again today.” Kibum says with a pained smile, gathering his things off the floor.

Jonghyun looks at him, biting his lip at picturing the artist walking on his own with his shoes soaked in water. Again, his mind is split into two. Ask him, or don’t ask him? There’s been a lot of debating going on in the lawyer’s head ever since he met Kibum.

Usually he’s good at debates, good at fighting the opposing end and sticking to his own thoughts and objections. After all, a lawyer practices those skills almost every day.

But this time his brain was somehow short circuiting, and he starts blurting out stuff before he can stop them from escaping his lips.

“I’ll give you a ride home.”


“I’m worried.” Jinki purses his lips, shifting around in the couch so his arm lightly presses against the other boy’s sitting next to him.

“Why?” Minho asks, eyes set on the television in front of them.

“Jonghyun and Kibum are working in the same building, and now at the same room. Their personalities clash, they’re the complete opposite of each other, and one loves to scowl while the other loves to laugh.”

“Perfect pair.” Minho says sarcastically.

“I’m starting to doubt my place on the bet.” Jinki frowns, flipping a page of his book.

He wasn’t really interested on watching the soccer game, so he had grabbed an old novel from his bookcase and started rereading that instead. How Minho manages to watch those boring games all the time without falling asleep is a mystery for Jinki.

“See, I told you it isn’t possible for them to end up together. Ever.” Minho says, pumping a fist in the air as his favorite team scores a goal.

“But still, how often do opposites attract?”

“You read too much romance novels. There’s no way in hell Kibum would ever fall in love with a bastard like Jonghyun.”

Minho side glances at Jinki, feeling a built guilty for practically calling his best friend a douche.

“No offense and all.” he adds to lessen the blow.

“None taken.” Jinki grins. “I know Jonghyun can be an sometimes. But actually he can be real nice and warmhearted.”

Minho’s furrows an eyebrow, his lips when the opposite team gets a hold of the ball. His knuckles are turning white from gripping onto his knees so hard.

“Nice? Warmhearted? Dude, your friend is the epitome of Satan and all evilness. I can literally see the horns growing out of his head.”

Jinki suppresses a smile, an image of Jonghyun growing out red horns popping up in his head.

This is what he liked so much about Minho, his everlasting humor is just brilliant. He had this way of saying something funny without making it too offensive.  And even if it was, he’d still manage to pull it off. Jinki needed this in life, a friend who was actually willing to make him laugh.

Being around Jonghyun all the time can be tiring sometimes. Especially since he’s always blowing his top off at the randomest things.

Jinki felt like he could relate with Minho more, even through their personality differences. He was a great friend, someone who’s willing to listen. He would be great to have around, maybe even more than just as a friend.

Jinki’s suddenly embarrassed at the thought, his book slipping from his fingers and body flopping over to the side.

“Dude, are you okay?” Minho says, frowning over at the other.

“I’m fine.” Jinki croaks out.

He’s still trying to wrap his head around the fact that he actually thought about Minho that way. God, he was such a freak. He’s only known the guy for about three months and he’s already having fantasies about dating him.

Maybe Minho was right after all, he had been reading way too much romance novels.

“No way.”

Jinki swivels his head and turns toward Minho. “What?”

“Is that.......oh my god, it can’t be.”

“What?” Jinki says again.

He follows Minho’s gaze towards the window, scrambling towards it to get a better view when he sees Kibum getting out of Jonghyun’s car for the second time this week.

“How in the world…..?” Minho breathes out, head right above Jinki’s.

“See? Looks like I’m winning that bet after all.” Jinki grins.


A part of Jonghyun’s brain is still screaming at him like ‘what the are you doing’ when he gets out of the car, but the other half of his brain is still short circuiting.

He doesn’t know why his eyes are on Kibum’s hair when the sun peeks out of the clouds and hits the tips of the blonde strands. He doesn’t know why he jerks back when the artist comes close to him. He doesn’t know why his senses are suddenly going all haywire.

“Thanks for the ride again, Jonghyun.” Kibum waves at him.

“Yeah, whatever.” the lawyer says sourly.

He’s being too nice today.

“I’ll just go pick up Minho now.” Kibum says, strolling to Jonghyun’s house with long strides.

“Now hold on just a second.” the older boy stops him, reaching for his arm and jolting back when they make contact.

That stupid spark again.

“Why are you coming into my house without my permission?” Jonghyun says, annoyed for some reason now.

“Jinki hyung doesn’t mind, so it’s probably okay with you too.” Kibum shrugs, quickly knocking on the front door before the lawyer could stop him.

Surprisingly, Jinki opens the door before the artist’s fist even makes a sound on it.

“Hi, sorry to interrupt your date but Minho has to come home now.” Kibum chirps.

Jinki blushes. “We’re not dat-“

“Aw, come on Kibum! There’s only ten minutes of the match left!” Minho’s voice echoes from the living room, cutting off Jinki’s words.

Jonghyun storms into the house, with Kibum and Jinki in tow.

“What in the are you doing here?” the lawyer shouts.

“Calm the down it isn’t your house, its Jinki hyung’s too.” Minho hollers back, even thought the two were only a few feet apart by now.

“I can say whatever I want to say in my household!”

“I said calm the down! Jesus you sound like one of those whiny es from Desperate Housewives.”

“You better be hightailing it out of here right now or else kiss your sports trophies goodbye tonight. They’re saying hi to Mr. Baseball Bat.”

“Woah, break it up you two. We don’t need World War III to start happening here.” Jinki says.

“That’s it, I’m leaving.” Jonghyun growls, grabbing whatever Jinki cooked on the table and stuffing it in his pockets. “Thanks for the meal, hyung!”

“Guess I’m going too. I’ll be back at the house, Minho. Bye Jinki hyung!” Kibum waves, ignoring the disaster the lawyer had caused.

Minho was seething with anger, turning to the older boy to complain. He stops as he finds him standing there looking dumbfounded.

“Minho, did I just hear what I thought I heard?” Jinki says, staring at the door with wide eyes.

“What?”

“Jonghyun just thanked me.”

A/N: Crappy ending is crappy bcuz I'm tired as right now x_x Lol you guys, I add in a bit of fluff and look at all the spazzing from all of u xD Yes, Jonghyun is being stubborn and being bastardic again. 

I ejoyed writing that Onho scene ;)

Only gonna put one gif today since I'm too lazy and tired. Had three tests today and my teachers decided to put them all on the same day. I was testing during periods 2,3, and 4.

So glad its friday. I'm ready for Thanksgiving Break.

image