Surprise Visit

Against All Odds

 

The next few days are pure torture for the lawyer, especially when Jinki was out hanging with Minho. He felt lonely and excluded, feeling like his best friend didn’t need him anymore. It didn’t help that Kibum was always in his face, constantly bothering him whenever he got the chance.

There was one instance where Jonghyun was outside mowing the lawn and the artist had snuck up on him, waving his delicate fingers in front of the lawyer’s face. Jonghyun ended up earning a bald spot on his lawn from the distraction. He had been furious with Kibum, ready to tear the artist’s face right off.

Kibum apologized and offered to help plant flowers to cover it up, but Jonghyun had lost his temper. He chased the artist off the lawn, who remained calm and smiled at him before returning to his house.

Kibum didn’t stop from there though. Every day he passed by the lawyer’s house and greeted the other, starting up a conversation whether Jonghyun liked it or not. He never lost his temper unlike the lawyer, who never failed to show his dislike towards the other. He tried with all his might to drive Kibum off, but that only seemed to heighten the artist’s persistency.

Finally, Jonghyun couldn’t take it anymore.

He fled to the only place he could be in peace at, the bakery down the street.

He hadn’t gone there in a long time; it has been months since he as inhaled the sweet smell of pastries in the shop. He used to go down there at least once a week, but since his job has gotten very demanding he barely had any time to go.

That’s why Taemin was more than surprised to see the lawyer walk through the doors that day.

“Hyung?” his voice sounded cheery as usual, the bakery crowded with dozens of people.

Jonghyun can’t help but smile at the younger boy, walking up to him and ruffling his hair behind the counter. “Hey, Tae.”

“It’s been a while, hyung.” Taemin says.

“I’m sorry I haven’t visited in a long time. I’ve been busy.”

“With work, I suppose?”

Jonghyun doesn’t respond. The younger boy knew him too well, just like Jinki.

“You’re still the same.” Taemin shakes his head, turning to brew a cup of coffee for an order. “Still working your off day and night.”

“It’s what I enjoy doing.” Jonghyun shrugs.

The younger boy turns back to him. “Are you sure about that, hyung?”

The way Taemin holds his gaze makes Jonghyun shiver. Like Jinki, he knew about what happened in the past. Although he didn’t say it out loud, the lawyer knew Taemin was challenging him to say no. To say that it had been different back then. That he wasn’t in to law and order. That he was young and wild, not afraid of whatever life decided to throw at him.

But today was the present, and times have changed.

“Every day I get to help people out there that need me. It feels good to make a difference.” Jonghyun replies.

Although he had wanted to say it with pride, his voice ended up sounding robotic. Like he had rehearsed saying those lines over and over until he actually started believing it himself.

“But are you happy?” Taemin asks, raising an eyebrow has he pours the coffee into a cup.

“Of course.”

The younger boy takes a moment to respond, handing the customer his order before turning back to Jonghyun.

“Hyung, let’s have a seat.”

They end up hanging around in the kitchen, finding no open tables in the bakery. Muffled sounds of bustling employees could be heard in the background, but Jonghyun found it kind of peaceful.

“So why did you decide to stop by at such a random hour?” Taemin asks, handing the lawyer a cup of hot tea.

Jonghyun takes it, sipping a little of the drink before he replies. “What makes you say I need something?”

The younger boy rolls his eyes. “You’re not the type of person to just randomly come in here for a ‘visit.’ Spit it out now, what’s been bothering you lately?”

“You know me too well.”

“No duh. Now stop beating around the bush and tell me what’s happening.”

Jonghyun sighs and runs a hand through the back of his neck. “A couple of weeks ago, the new neighbors moved in at the house next to us.”

Taemin smiles.

“Don’t you dare make fun of me for this, Tae! I’m serious, they’re annoying as . Especially that Kibum guy.”

The younger boy’s mouth gapes open.

“What?” Jonghyun asks, dumbfounded of the other’s reaction

“Do you know what his last name is?”

“I’m pretty sure it’s Kim.” the lawyer says sourly. “Just like mine.”

Taemin stares at his hyung in astonishment.

“What’s up with that look of yours?” Jonghyun asks.

“Nothing. Just thinking about what a small world it is.”

“Huh?”

“Never mind.”

“Did you want to say some-“

“So why do you hate your neighbors so much?”

“I haven’t met the Minho dude face to face yet, but Kibum is a huge pain in the . He won’t stop bothering me. It’s like he’s an annoying cat or something! Always following me around wherever I go.” Jonghyun scowls.

“Is that so?” Taemin smiles wider. “Tell me more about this Kibum guy.”

“He’s too cheerful, makes me want to puke just seeing his face in the morning.”

“Have you tried driving him away?”

The lawyer’s expression darkens. “Believe me, I’ve tried. He just smiles like a ridiculous clown and walks away telling me to have a nice day or something. Can you believe that? I don’t even know why he bothers to talk to me.”

“Maybe he’s just trying to be friendly.” Taemin suggests.

“Friendly? Tae, he’s up in my face every single day! And I’ve literally told him to off, but he pretends he doesn’t hear anything! He’s even worse than my old neighbors for god’s sake!”

“You’ll never know, maybe you guys will be friends one day.”

“Are you kidding me? Over my dead body I’d ever befriend that boy. There’s no way in hell we’d ever get along.”

“Just give him a chance.”

“You sound just like Jinki hyung.”

Taemin grins. “Great minds thing alike.”

“And how did you guys manage to worm yourselves into my life again?”

“Perseverance and patience is the key to winning Kim Jonghyun’s heart.”

There’s a pause in the conversation and the lawyer’s eyes bore right into Taemin’s the whole while.

“I’m sorry, did I-“

“No its fine, don’t worry about it.” Jonghyun cuts the younger boy off.

“I swear, I didn’t mean for it to trigger some of your memories.”

“It’s alright. All in the past, right?”

“Are you doing well, hyung?”

Jonghyun blinks. “Yeah, why do you ask?”

“You seem kind of distant these days. Is something else bothering you?”

“I’m fine. Just thinking a lot about work.”

Taemin could tell it was a straight out lie, but he chose not to push it. “Maybe you shouldn’t have come here in the first place.”

“No, I enjoy talking to you. I’ve just been out of it lately. Got a lot of things going on in my head.”

“Don’t over think it. I don’t want you getting stressed and having a mental breakdown or something.”

“Aye, aye, captain.”

“I mean it, hyung.”

“I know.”

There’s another pause and Jonghyun decides it’s time to leave.

Taemin doesn’t bother stopping him; he’d known his hyung long enough to know how abruptly his moods can change.

The lawyer gives Taemin a quick pat on the back before leaving, stuffing his hands in his pockets as he quickly walked to his car.

When he got home he ran into Minho heading to basketball practice, dressed in his sports gear as he jogged down the sidewalk.

“Watch where you’re going!” Jonghyun snarls at him.

“It was your own fault, you bastard!” Minho gives him a little shove before stomping away.

“ing .” Jonghyun growls as he steps into his house, finding Jinki sprawled onto the bed with his novel in hand.

“Who?” the older boy asks, flipping a page of his book.

“ing Choi Minho.”

“I bet your first meeting was quite lovely.”

“Very.” Jonghyun says drily.

“Did you go to Taemin’s?”

“How did you know?” the lawyer asks, surprised at his best friend.

“I could smell the bread from all the way over here.”

“It sticks to your clothes.”

“You haven’t visited him in a long time, is something wrong?”

“I talked to him about it.”

“I’m guessing it was about Kibum.”

“God do you guys have mindreading powers or something? I swear, I could never keep anything from you and Taemin.”

“That’s because you’re too predictable.” Jinki chuckles.

“How am I predictable?”

“You just are.”

The lawyer rolls his eyes. “Yeah, well that explains everything.”

“Stop changing the subject. So why were you talking about Kibum again?”

“And why should I tell you?”

“Because I’m your best friend who cares about your welfare and success in life.”

“Bull.”

“Just tell me already!”

“We were talking about how annoying he was, okay? How much he’s stressing me out.”

“Hm.”

“What was that?”

“I bet you fifty bucks you’re going to eat your words.”

“What?”

“God, Jonghyun. Stop being so dense all the time. What I meant was I challenge you to a bet that you’re eventually going to care about Kibum.”

“Are you out of your ing mind?!?!” Jonghyun exclaims.

“Calm down, boy. I didn’t say specifically if it’s in a romantic or friendly way did I?”

The lawyer groans. “Please don’t say what I think you’re about to say.”

Jinki grins. “So that’s the first hint that you’re starting to pay attention to him.”

The older boy barely has any time to duck when Jonghyun attempts to throw one of his pillows at his best friend’s head.

A/N: What? Jonghyun knows Taemin? I told you guys 's going to get real soon xD

I know there's no jongkey here, I just need to explain things first before jumping in to the massive jongkey scene in the next chapter (nothing special really, just a more descriptive encounter between the two). And I'm so sorry for making Jjong cuss so much, he's just that type of person right now okay? 

So last time I asked you guys to make some guesses on what happened to Jonghyun in the past, and ur predictions were very interesting. Some of them were pretty close, and I'm so happy you're slowly starting to get things as I subtly drop hints throughout the fic.

image

Lol yes, I've been dropping subtle hints. And for those of you who have no idea, you'll just have to wait and see ;)

I promise you guys the next chapter would have a lot more jongkey interactions and it would have more depth than just Jonghyun ignoring Kibum all the time. But I warn you, don't expect cold Jjong to be all nice.......

A lot of you guys say he's really mean and cold hearted, but I really don't think he's THAT bad. Or maybe bcuz I know how the whole story goes so maybe you guys see him in a different view than I do?

image

Well everything will be explained later on anyways.

Okay, I'm starting to ramble again. Until next time, my lovelies <3