The First Step

Warmth

Jessica curled up closer to the body beside her. She pressed her head to the soft chest, listening to shallow breathing. The soft buzz from a refrigerator filled some of the silence. She traced patterns on a pale stomach. 

"What are you dreaming about?" Jessica whispered lazily.  She felt a stir. The rise and fall of the girl's chest was an indication that she was going to awaken soon. A hand was placed on her lower back. Drowsy eyes met her own. 

"Jessi? What are you still doing up?" Jessica pressed her lips against the girl's forehead. 

"I was just thinking about something..." Tiffany yawned, returning the kiss with a soft press to Jessica's cheek.

"Do you want to talk about it?" The blonde stared at her, noting the bags under the young girl's eyes. 

"No, you need your rest. Go back to sleep." Tiffany rubbed her eyes, blinking quickly. 

"Are you sure? I'm not tired... we could... talk." She yawned once more, barely managing to finish her sentence. Jessica smiled at her attempt. 

"Go to sleep." Tiffany reluctantly closed her eyes, her breathing becoming slow and even. Jessica tilted her head up, pressing her chin near the girl's collar bone. 

"Thank you..." Her words drifted softly in to the air. Tiffany smiled in her sleep. 


4 years ago


Tiffany's mother grasped on to her friend's hand tightly. The machine beside her beeped unsteadily.  

"Sooyeon... you have to promise me something." Jessica nodded, a tear sliding down her now unusually pale face. 

"What is it?" 

"I want you... to take care of her."  

"Miyoung?" The elder Hwang smiled weakly. 

"Yes, Miyoung... she needs someone to care for her, now. Sooyeon, will you be her guardian from now on?"

"I-I... will, but..." Sooyeon kissed the woman's hands, a tear plopped on to one of them. 

"Why did you do this to yourself...?" The Hwang grinned in nostalgia, her half-lidded eyes were beginning to lose their gleam.

"When you get older... you'll know, Jessi." The machine beside her beeped one last time. Jessica pressed a kiss to her forehead.

"Goodbye, Mrs. Hwang..." A  nurse stepped through the door. 

"Ms. Jung is she-" 

"Yes... tell the doctor to do the operation." Jessica sat with a look of bewilderment; a gaping hole in her once beautiful heart. A hole she thought could never be filled again. The trail of tears she left behind on the halls of the hospital floor would be the last remains of Jessica's emotions for a very long time.  


***********************************************************************************************************************************************************************


"Hello? May I visit room 7?" The woman at the counter smiled as if she were forced to.

"Of course, Ms. Jung." The woman led her to the room. She pulled it open, shooting a pointed glance at Jessica.

"I will warn you, she's a deep sleeper. Don't expect any conversation out of her." Sooyeon merely blinked in acknowledgement, walking into the room with only one purpose... to sit down and rest.


Tiffany awoke with a small spasm. She sat up, cringing slightly from the pain. A familiar face took her mind off of the dull ache above her abdomen . There, near the bottom of the bed, was Sooyeon Jung. Tiffany recalled meeting the woman once or twice during a family dinner. She pulled her covers off, ignoring the sharp pain in her chest. Tiffany crawled towards the unconscious blonde.

"Hello? Ms... Jung?" The girl jabbed the woman in the side with a curious finger. 

"Hm, you should eat more... I don't think I should feel your ribs that vividly." Jessica wrenched open her eyes; the sleepiness in them were evident. She stared, fixated by the young Hwang. The resemblance between her and her mother were uncanny. Her finger touched the girl's cheek. 

"Mrs. Hwang?" Tiffany reached up, holding the slender finger.

"Mrs. Hwang? Do you mean my mother?" Realization suddenly struck her. 

"My mom! Where is she!?" Jessica's eyes dilated. She pulled her hand back.

"Your mother... she's gone." 


A/N: HELLO! OH MAH GOSH. WHY ARE THERE SO MANY SUBSCRIBERS!? This was supposed to be a one-shot... I wasn't expecting so many people to sub. I assumed you guys thought it wasn't going to be a one-shot... so I decided to make it a long story. This is a short update, I know. I'm about to update my other story so it's understandable right? SAY YES. DO IT.