The Crack

Lay Me Down

The walk back to Luhan’s apartment was quiet and Minseok’s steps were terse and sharp. He hadn’t  looked at Luhan even once since they had left their friend’s house party and Luhan, realizing that trying to talk to Minseok or hugging the other man or even apologizing would not work when Minseok had resolutely ignored his attempts to placate Minseok earlier, trailed silently after Minseok.

 

This was like any other Friday night and Luhan, perhaps a bit arrogantly, was not worried since he knew that a few kisses against the side of Minseok neck and a few whispered words of apology as Luhan embraced the man from behind and then lightly nuzzled the crook of his boyfriend’s neck would calm Minseok down. Then, they’d be back to normal and Saturday morning would entail Luhan waking up swathed in their blankets and bedsheets, the space beside him empty as Minseok would be cooking Saturday brunch for them. Luhan would then stumble out of their bedroom after dragging on a pair of boxers and then drape himself over the smaller man and whine that he was hungry especially after all the work he did last night and Minseok would elbow him away but Luhan wouldn’t let go so easily and cling to his boyfriend’s waist and press open mouth kisses against the pink marks littering Minseok’s neck.

 

They’d finish breakfast, Minseok laughing as Luhan trailed his foot against Minseok’s sensitive and ticklish feet and they would be back to normal, better than normal…until of course, Luhan would do the same thing and their carefully maintained façade of a stable, healthy relationship would fall apart once again.

 

Luhan’s apartment is cold and dark as they enter but Minseok doesn’t bother turning on the lights and walks silently into the kitchen and stands at the sink. His back is hunched over as he rests his weight on the counter and then takes a deep breath in.

 

“Baozi?” Luhan calls as he flips open the light switch and the sudden brightness of the room makes Luhan squeeze his eyes shut and then gradually open them to acclimate to the light. Luhan walks up to Minseok and wraps his arms around Minseok’s hips and presses his chest against his boyfriend’s back. “Are you still angry, Baozi? Hmm?” he asks rather playfully and lightheartedly.

 

Luhan doesn’t pay Minseok’s stiffening body any mind and sets on relaxing the other man by slowly pressing and rubbing his thumbs against Minseok’s hip bones as the low slung, tight black jeans allow for a sliver of skin to peek through as Luhan’s arm bunches up the material of Minseok’s t-shirt. Luhan noses the soft skin of the crook of Minseok’s neck but the other man pulls his head away to the side and evades Luhan’s gentle advance.

 

The silence due to Minseok’s lack of response has Luhan compelled to try and explain himself, “I was just looking out for you babe,” Luhan whines out as he pouts but Minseok won’t look at his face so the pout goes unnoticed. “Come on, Minseok-ie. That guy was totally hitting on you. If I hadn’t’ve stepped in-”

 

“What Luhan? What would happen if you hadn’t stepped in? You think I would f*** him? That he’d whisk me away to his place and convince me to sleep with him never mind that I’ve been in a relationship with you for two years already?” Minseok snapped, pulling Luhan’s arms off his waist and then shoving away from Luhan and stepping off to the side.

 

He was scowling and he looked so angry that Luhan couldn’t even concentrate on how cute Minseok looked when he was angry. Luhan had a feeling that he wouldn’t be able to alleviate Minseok’s anger even if he apologized and so he tried to backpedal as he sighed out, “Of course n-”

 

But Minseok cut him off as he bit out, “I’m so sick of this Luhan. I just can’t-I just-”

 

“Baozi, calm down-” Luhan said, feeling concerned for the first time this night.

 

“No Luhan! I can’t calm down, I can’t do this anymore!” Minseok said, his voice between a shout and a desperate plea.