Chiropteran Race

Chiropteran (hiatus)

 

Days have passed since the incident; Tao and I have settled the problems we had and now we’ve come to accept our new life together as servant and master… okay, maybe not servant and master but I like to think of our relationship in that way.

 

“Do you have any questions on what we are or something?” We were seated on the stools in the kitchen. Snacks were laid out on the kitchen table in case we got hungry.

 

“What exactly are Chiropterans?” I opened a soda can and took a huge sip before starting.

 

“Chiropterans are these species from long ago. We co-exist with humans but only a few know of us. The word ‘Chiropteran’ can represent the different ‘categories’ within the species. There are two categories that I know of, Queens and Chevaliers, though there might be more.” I nodded my head to see if Tao was following.

 

“Imagine a food pyramid, Queens are on top and Chevaliers are on the bottom. Queens are the originators of the whole Chiropteran race; they create the other ‘categories’ through their blood. Chevaliers are personal bodyguards created for the Queens. I’m classified as a Queen while you are classified as a Chevalier, my Chevalier to be more specific… These here are the journals filled with information on the Chiropteran race.” I slid the books across the table.

 

I examined Tao as he dug into the books. His brows furrowed and so did mine.

 

“It says that Queens are always born in pairs, so where is your twin?”

 

“Oh~ She died.” I said in a nonchalant manner, baffling Tao. “My blood entered her system, killing her. If you read a bit further it says the blood of one Queen is fatal to her sister, and vice versa.”

 

“But how can your blood kill your sister?”

 

“If the bloods of the sisters are mixed, they will crystalize. The crystallization has a domino effect on the body; say you have a mound of sugar and you happen to drop water on it, just a small drop, not only will the targeted area be affected, but so will the area surrounding it, causing the whole mound to be wet… It’s similar to a zombie bite. Once you’re bitten, the virus will spread through your entire body and will cause you to turn into a zombie. You got that?

 

“So your sisters body crystalized as your blood met hers?” I nodded to Taos question. “Can you stop the crystallization?”

 

“It depends on where the infected area is. If it is on a limb, say your arm, then you can amputate it from further crystallization, but the limb won’t grow back or anything like that. If it is anywhere on the bodice then there is no way since you can’t simply cut off a section of your chest or stomach or back without killing yourself in the process.”

 

“Anymore questions?” Tao rubbed his chin before asking some trivial questions.

 

“I’ve been alive for a mere century.” Before I could continue, Tao suddenly blurted out that I was old. Slightly offended, I bent over the kitchen counter and slapped the top of his head.

 

“Sorry, I wasn’t thinking when I said that.” Tao slightly bowed his head while dulling the sting of the slap with his hand.

 

I regained composure and cleared my throat. “As I was saying, I’ve been alive for a mere century, though I was in hibernation for most of the time.”

 

“Hibernation?”

 

“It’s like when bears go into hibernation except we sleep for approximately 30 years instead of a month or so, but it is only for Queens. As we enter hibernation, a cocoon will form around our bodies, acting as a barrier between us and the outside world.”

 

“Do you guys like do some sort of transformation in the cocoon? Is it like when a caterpillar turns into a butterfly? ” I chuckled at his question.

 

“We just simply sleep. Nothing really goes on inside the cocoon. Anything else?” Tao shook his head.

 

“Okay. I’m going out, so bye.” With that I left Tao to venture in Tokyo.

 

 

 


Just some info on Chiropterans. Google blood+ wikia for more info.