#2

When You Care For Me

"Come on, you little baby. " Soo Eun dragged Zico out the cafe.

"Wait." Zico tugged her.

"I need to change my shoes."

He stared down at his old grey converses which were tattered at the sides.

"They're fine Zico. You look totally fine." She gave him an assuring smile and continued to lead him out the cafe.

Both of them kept to the same pace as they walked out the cafe.

"Soo"

"Yeah?"

She turned to gaze at his side profile, his jaw line clearly defined and his small eyes, they were worried. She felt the grip on her hand tighten.

"What if they've forgotten about me?" He whispered, almost inaudible.

He let out a long sigh, before forcing a smile on his face and turning to her.

"I should think positive though huh?"

She looked up at him, with eyes of concern. She didn't know what to say to take away the negativity. She couldn't give him false hope either. She just said a simple

"Yeah." and gave his hand an assuring squeeze.

"Whatever happens, I'm still here." She smiled at him.

"You're the best Soo." He grinned at her.

"I know." She tossed her hair back.

"Really humble too." He added.

"Whatever." She gave him a playful glare.

He chuckled. At least he wasn't feeling so disheartened anymore. The both of them went to a floral stall along the streets and bought a stalk of white tulip and a pink carnation. To show his parents that he had put aside his anger and come to forgive them for kicking him out of the house, as Zico said. And a pink carnation, which Soo Eun forced him to buy, to show gratitude, as a son, to thank his parents for taking care of him by giving him a small allowance to keep him going.

"We're here." Zico took in a deep breathe to calm his palpitating heart.

The both of them walked up the wooden steps to face the white door. Soo Eun faced Zico, smoothing his ruffled hair that got more messy from the wind. He took in deep breathes, his hand toward his chest.

"I've never been so nervous in my life."

"You're gonna do fine." She smiled at him when she saw his worried face.

Just then, the door squeaked open.

"O-omma"

"Ji Ho ah" Zico's mother looked at him with a mixture of shock and happiness.

Zico did not expect a single positive response to come from his parents, the people who kicked him out of his house to get him to "grow up", a stupid excuse, he thought, they had wanted to get rid of him because he was a useless son. Unlike his older brother, Taewoon, who had gotten into the local university and would grow up to become a successful businessman, as his father stated. He was kinda glad they sent him away. Well, somewhat glad, looking on the positive side, at least he didn't have to get compared to his brother every other day. But Zico did have a tinge of resentment toward his parents, or more like a huge hatred. But for Soo Eun, he'd reconcile with them.

The light nudge on his rib reminded him that he was supposed to be reconciling, not giving 'wtf' looks to his mother.

"Annyeonghaseyo Soo Eun imnida." Soo Eun greeted, way more enthusiastically then Zico.

Zico's mom gave her a glance over and her attention went back to Zico.

"Jiho ah, you came back." She gave a sigh of relief.

Came back? I was waiting for you to call me back home but the call never came. Zico thought.

Zico's mother turned her head to the side and called for her husband.

"Zico is back." She said with such joy and happiness.

Soo Eun could swear she heard a grunt from inside the house before footsteps shuffled up the stairs. Guess his Dad would be a tough nut to crack. The door widened as Zico's mother welcomed the both of them in to their living room.

"Where are your belongings? " She asked.

"I'm not coming back home." Zico replied bitterly.

The disavowing response from his father had added oil to the calming fire of hatred Zico had for his Dad. He didn't want to be anywhere near him much longer. Soo Eun noticed the glum atmosphere and shifted awkwardly in her seat before trying to salvage the situation.

"We came to give you these." She nudged Zico to hand her the flowers.

"Thank you for taking care of Zico when he was younger, he grew up well." Soo Eun heard a snort coming from Zico.

Not well enough for his father, he thought. She put a hand on his leg to stop him from bursting into an outrage while she tried her best to restore whatever she could of their thining thread of a relationship.

Zico's mom sighed. She realised how much resentment Zico had for them.

"Jiho ah, I need to explain things to you."

"What? "Zico avoided eye contact.

"We.. I never wanted for you to leave."

"Oh really? " Zico wanted to show his anger.

For so long now, he could finally tell then how he felt.

"I hope you would forgive us eventually. We still love you Jiho, you are our son."

Zico stood up immediately from that statement. He looked toward Soo Eun with a sigh of defeat and walked out the living room. The door could be heard as he slammed it shut. Zico couldn't take it anymore. All this bull about how they even think of him as a son, Zico wasn't gonna believe a single word of it. They might have loved him when he was younger, but they sure as hell didn't when Zico became the gangster of the family. He was exasperated as he combed a hand through his hair and ruffled it harshly, almost to the point of yanking his hair out with frustration. He leaned against the wall as he leaned his head back a bit to harshly.

" this. "

He couldn't do this, he thought as he paced around outside the house.

He couldn't forgive them.