The Destructor

My One-shot Anthology

 

Destruction is a form of creation.

Woohyun could argue about it all day. At first, all his friends who heard his theory would look at him as if he was crazy. After a quarter of an hour, they would be just as convinced as Woohyun.

“See it this way,” Woohyun would say animatedly. It was after all his favorite topic of discussion. “If you destroy a house, you’ll consider it as destruction, right?”

A confused Dongwoo would nod uncertainly, wondering if he was getting into a trap.

“But someone somewhere, in some kind of imagination, might have seen the house in that way. So bringing into reality that imagination—isn’t that creation?”

Dongwoo would look shaken and confused and after a bit more of lecturing, he would be one mind with Woohyun. He always had his way.

Among all the different types of destruction, Woohyun chose the devastation of human hearts as his hobby. Any other destruction was punishable by law unfortunately, and as a respectable citizen of the upper society, he couldn’t go around demolishing buildings. As a result, the only way to practice his creativity was to break humans.

He felt that he was born for wreaking this kind of havoc—it had to be, why else would he be gifted with such dashing looks and smooth tongue? His ability to charm almost anything with a soul was no joke and he ensured he didn’t waste the gift.

His favorite places to look for his prey were dating sites and speed-dating cafes. Anyone tolerable would do for him, he wasn’t picky. They fell for his charm so easily, it was almost painfully easy. The sweet-nothings he said and the few dates he attended—they were enough to have them calling him day and night. If he found a particularly stubborn one who wouldn’t yield easily, he would just give up. He didn’t like hard work—who puts effort into their pastime anyways?

After the said preys swore they couldn’t do without him, he would drop them like used paper. No amount of crying or cursing could get him back but they satisfied him immensely. After all, the creator would be the happiest to see his creation.

As with any unusual hobbies, people started to talk about him. These people were mostly his friends since he didn’t exactly publicize his achievements but from his friends, he kept nothing hidden. And these friends tried to make him understand that whatever he was doing was destructive, that he would regret it someday, or worse—he himself would be crushed by someone. But Woohyun knew the rules of the game better than them and he was confident. He couldn’t just bury his creative streak.

 

Woohyun’s newest victim proved to be very amusing. The first day he had met Sungyeol at a dating club, he had thought him to be a bit idiotic. But that didn’t deter him; the thicker they are, the harder they fall—that was what he liked to believe. Sungyeol was high in energy most of the times and his definition of dates was very odd. He insisted on prank-calling people or trying to sell his neighbors empty CD covers before jumping out of their windows and crying “Happy Halloween!” for dates. At first, Woohyun had questioned his sanity but he soon grew to learn that Sungyeol was just like that—there were no explanation for his behavior. The more he saw of Sungyeol, the more he grew amused. Not one of his huge group of preys had been able to keep Woohyun hooked for such a long time. The moment he was rendered tired of them, he would flick them away but the problem with Sungyeol was, he kept him genuinely interested. He enjoyed every moment with him, whether he was watching from afar his crazy antics or joining him, hiding a blush of mortification. He just didn’t seem to get weary of Sungyeol.

When they reached their 4 month anniversary, Woohyun knew something was definitely wrong. He couldn’t bring himself to wipe the smile off the not-so-innocent boy’s face. Something told him that the act of destroying will not add a feather to his hat of creation; it would be just plain destruction.

Woohyun had been toying with the idea that what they had between them might last longer than he’d anticipated because it didn’t seem like he would get bored of Sungyeol any time soon. And then, the idea, weak and timid, raised its head—what if it was love? But Woohyun was not a believer; he didn’t believe love existed. Maybe in Shakespeare’s time it had existed, but not now, not here. And Woohyun was not the one to be swayed from his beliefs.

But hadn’t he believed all destructions were creation and now was he not having to rethink his theory? Didn’t that prove that his beliefs were not always right, or more like in Sungyeol’s case they weren’t applicable?

Struggling for almost another month, Woohyun finally resigned. Sungyeol was too much to lose, too expensive to be thrown away. And a proposal was in order.

Woohyun was bound for a relationship that would last for a lifetime—something he hadn’t forseen.

Alas, fate decreed it to be otherwise. Sungyeol confessed—he had been dating Woohyun only out of anger and jealousy. Dumped by his previous boyfriend, he had been miserable and wanted someone to show his boyfriend that he could do better. He hadn’t expected a long-term relationship or anything serious. He had been misguided by the dating club—he had thought the dates weren’t serious. It was a of good luck that he had been able to accomplish something as handsome as Woohyun in a short time. And it had worked; his boyfriend was back for him.

“But I really did enjoy being with you,” Sungyeol said apologetically. “Some parts of me don’t wish to go back to him. I wish I could stay with you. And yet, I really love him. I guess it’s lucky that you haven’t grown that attached to me and hopefully you’ll forget me soon.”

“But—”

“I’m sorry Woohyun.” That had been his last words.

Woohyun didn’t cry, nor did he drink and mope. In fact, his friends could almost not tell that there was something off about him. That was until Dongwoo asked one day about Sungyeol and Woohyun pretended he didn’t know him.

Nothing changed. Only, he had been created—a shattered Woohyun who wouldn’t create anymore, who wouldn’t destroy anymore, thanks to the Destructor.