Chapter 4

The Red String of Fate

I was so exhausted the next day when I got up for my classes. Yongguk was back to his usual self, being annoying with his friends and that lying bastard was still in school. Even after all that happened yesterday, the rumors about Yongguk and I were still flying around, mostly targeting me. "Hi," Yongguk walked up behind me. "Do I know you?" I gave him an innocent smile. "Come on, you didn't miss me at all?" 

"No," I answered flatly. 

"Has the thought ever crossed your mind that maybe I missed you?" 

"Save it player, it doesn't take a genius to figure out that a player like you would do anything to get into a girl's pants," I grew annoyed with how he could change so quickly. He didn't follow me afterwards, I sped off to the hospital to see Minhee. 

 

                                                      ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

I checked with the doctor before going to her room, she was in good health and ready to go. "Kim Minhee," I pretended to scold her. "Seulrin, I'm sorry," she opened her arms for a hug. I couldn't play it out anymore and hugged her. "Don't you ever do this to me again," I glared. "Thank you Seulrin, I would never do that again," she gripped my hand tightly. "Let's not talk about it anymore araso? You are here and alive, means you have another chance to start over," I handed her my bag," go get dressed, the doctor said you are well enough to go home". 

When we got back to my place, I went straight to work in cleaning the empty room I had. "You better not be taking a picture of me," I watched as she played with her phone. "Aniyo," she giggled. I had my hair up in a messy bun and I was wearing some Pororo shirt and shorts as my cleaning outfit. 

*DING DONG* 

"I'll get it!" Minhee yelled. "Who is it?" I yelled back, when I got no answer, I stepped out of the bedroom only to find an unexpected guest. "!!!!" I yelled and Minhee slammed the door shut. "YAH! PARK SEULRIN! HOW DARE YOU CALL ME THAT?" his voice boomed from the other side of the door. "I don't want to see you! Go away!" I threw my slippers at the door. "I'm not leaving till you open this door," his voice calmed down. "Make yourself at home," Minhee pulled me right into the bedroom, far away from the door. "Who is he?" she whispered as if he could hear me. "It's a long story," I groaned just thinking about it. Gaeul was standing by the door, growling and scratching the air facing the front door. "I got all day but I don't know about him," Minhee gave me her you-better-tell-me look. I sat down and started my long story. 

================================

"I still don't think you should leave him hanging like that," Minhee decided to finally act her age and give me advice, "he saved my life!" She was probably the only person in this world that could of convinced me to go out and see him. "Fine," I changed back into my normal clothing before exiting my apartment.

When I thought about what I said to him earlier, I felt horrible, maybe it was too much, but this couldn't hide the fact that I did like him, a little, a teeny-tiny bit, okay, well maybe more than that. I dressed casually and opened the front door. "Have fun kids! Remember to use protection!" Minhee waved happily and then quickly shut the door before I could plan to strangle her. Yongguk chuckled beside me and I shot him a you-are-so-dead-look-if-you-mention-another-comment look. "What do you want?" I aksed when we stepped out of the building. "My umma wants to have dinner with you and I came to the conclusion that you probably won't pick up my phone calls," he started the car.I stayed silent the entire ride. 

The sky had gotten darker when we arrived at the restaurant. "Seulrin," Yongguk's umma greeted, "I'm so glad you came," she hugged me. "Son, go check on our menu while Seulrin and I have a girl chat," she shooed him away. "Please call me ummo-nim," she motioned for me to sit in the chair across from her. "Ummo-nim," I smiled nervously. "My son seems to be very fond of you," she said with all seriousness I almost wanted to break out laughing. "That boy doesn't know how to cherish someone the right way," she laughed. "With all due respect ummo-nim, I just met him a few days ago, isn't this going too quickly?" I could see Yongguk occupied in the kitchen through the decorative  glass window. "Have you ever heard of the Red String of Fate legend?" she asked me out of nowhere. "Yes, I have," I wasn't quite following where this was going. "I didn't believe in it till I met his father, sometimes things happen unexpectedly," she stopped talking when Yongguk surfaced from the kitchen. 

Thankfully, the dinner itself was normal. Ummo-nim talked so freely with us about her job and business trips it made me think about my parents who were constantly away but when they finally show up, they tell me I had a deadline. 

"I'm going back to Seoul tonight and from then on I will run contionous business trips, I won't be able to keep up with you so take care," she hugged Yongguk and he hugged her back as if he wasn't afraid to show affection to his mother. That made me wonder if he had a personality disorder with how much and how fast he could change. "Take care of yourself too Seulrin, it was nice of you to come have dinner with me." 

"No, thank you for inviting me and have a safe trip," I hugged the older women as her limo pulled up. We watched her limo pull away before we started to walk to his car. "She seems to like you more then she likes me," Yongguk attempted to start a conversation. "Well, maybe if you stop acting like a sometimes," I decided to lighten up the atmosphere. "Yah!" he yelled and I made a run for it. 

(Ummo-nim's POV) 

I dialed my secretary's number when I settled into the limo for the long ride home. "Mrs. Bang," Soojin greeted me. "I would like you to run a background chek of a student at my son's school, her name is Park Seulrin".