First Storm

Cold Rain

Rain poured down from the sky as I walked alone from the sidewalk. I struggled to hold my umbrella tightly so it wouldn't be carried away by the strong wind. It was only 3 in the afternoon, yet the dark, threatening rain clouds made it seem like it was late in the evening. I was cold and drenched from head to toe. The silly umbrella was useless in keeping me dry. I jumped over a puddle and continued walking. 

Lightning flashed in the sky, followed by a loud clap of thunder which made me yelp in surprise.

That's when I heard it--a chuckle that sounded so familiar yet strange.

I turned around, and there he was.

Typhoon. His moniker couldn't have fit him better. His hair was as wild as the storm--messy, going in different directions, crazy in a y way. And his beautiful brown eyes which were filled with so much mystery stared right into my soul, drawing me -- hypnotizing me -- to walk towards him. His eyes made the beauty of the dark sky seem ordinary. And there was that smile on his face. A smile that was as enchanting as the moonlight. A smile that made anyone want to smile back at him.

He stood there in the cold, harsh rain, not caring that he was twice as drenched as I was.  Drops of water fell from his hair, down to his perfect, handsome face, then to his neck, to his adam's apple, then finally down to his white body-fitting shirt which was now wet -- making the muscles on his torso and arms very much visible (and very much enjoyable to look at). 

He said my name. I snapped out of my trance.
"You know me?" I said in disbelief. He came closer. I could smell his scent: a mixture of cologne and rain. Just pure perfection.

"I've been looking for you."

I was silent for a moment. I had to process what was going on, to evaluate whether this was just a dream or whether this was reality. This man was supposed to be in Seoul doing public service for the next two years. This man was Jay Kim -- the Jay Kim -- of TRAX. Yet he was right here in this city, in this country miles away from Korea. He was right in front of me, telling me that he's been looking for me. 

Looking right into my eyes, he said my name again. It sent shivers right down my spine. Never had I heard anyone say my name so beautifully. "That's you right? I've been searching for you for days."

"How do you know me?"

"Your letter. I read it. And I saw your picture" he said, moving to stand with me under my umbrella. I recalled sending him a fan letter for TRAX's seventh anniversary.

"I must be going insane," I mumbled.

He laughed. His laughter seemed to calm the storm. "You're not. You're not seeing things either. I'm really here." He held my hand to prove it.

"Then what made you come all the way here?" I asked.

"You," he replied.

Whether this was just a dream or not, I decided I couldn't keep this man standing in the rain. "Come with me," I told him.

He sat in my living room with a towel wrapped around his shoulders to keep him warm. I handed him a mug of hot chocolate. He took a sip, nodded in approval and smiled. "This tastes good." 

I sat across him and stared at his perfect features. No matter how many times I looked at him, I'd still be amazed by his handsomeness.

I realized he was still shivering in his wet clothes. "Do you want me to put your clothes in the dryer?" I asked.

"You want me to take off my clothes!?" Jay asked, surprised.

"No! I mean you're cold...you have to--"

"I have to!?" His eyes grew wide.

"That's not what I meant," I was turning red with embarrassment. Jay was turning red from laughing. "I understand what you mean," he said. "Do you have any clothes I can change into while you dry mine?"

The mysterious look in his eyes had been replaced with a look of joy, friendliness and warmth. He was no "Cold-Hearted Man" at all.

"Yeah, just wait here," I said.

Jay wore the biggest sweater and jogging pants that I owned...which, as you can imagine, was still too tight on him. The sweater stopped somewhere in the middle of his abdomen, so he pulled the jogging pants up making it hang inches above his ankles.

He looked ridiculous yet cute at the same time. He laughed at his own reflection as he looked at the mirror. I couldn't help but laugh too.

"Thanks, by the way," he said to me.

"You're always welcome, Jay-ssi." I replied.

"Oppa. Call me oppa."

We sat together, just talking about ourselves. I felt like I could tell him anything and everything. There was something about him that made me feel so at ease. Being with him made me feel like there was nothing more that I could want, that life was complete.

"When are you going back to Korea?" I asked.

"Tomorrow."

"Oh." I couldn't hide the disappointment in my voice. I just got to see him, this man that I've been dying to meet for years, yet he was leaving the next day.

"Don't worry. We'll make the most out of it. You'll show me around, right?" he said smiling.

"Of course, I will," I answered, smiling too.

I stood up and carried the mug he used to kitchen. He followed me.

"You don't have to follow me around, Jay-oppa," I told him.

"But I want to," he said, hugging me from the back.

My heart started to pound. I could feel his breath at the back of my neck. I could inhale his undeniably tantalizing scent.  "Don't you think you're going a little too fast?"

"Our time is short," he said. "We have less than a day together."

I held his hand which was at my waist. "Why did you come for me just because of my letter?"

He answered, "Because when I read it, I just knew that you're the one for me. I had to find you."

I turned around and looked into his eyes. And at that moment, I realized that he was the one for me too.

He wrapped his arms around me to embrace me. I hugged him back wishing we could stay like that forever.