Chapter 3

Do You Remember? [M.Footsteps Challenge] Complete
Do You Remember? [OS]
by RossEureka

[M. Footsteps Challenge Entry]

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

-1-

The summer camp ended in a flash and I didn't get the chance to participate. Apart from I can't, because of my temperature, bruises and sprained ankle, I don't want to. He will be my partner for the rest of the game and I don't want that to happen. I don't want him to have the misconception that I'm taking advantage of his trust; that I'm using the activity to get closer to him. And I can't stay close with him throughout the whole camp knowing what he thought about me. He thought I'm disgusting when I the thought of taking advantage of him didn't even cross my mind for half a moment!

He just moved out of my house last week and I can feel the emptiness consuming me. I miss his company. I miss his sense of humour. I miss his way of pestering me. I miss his protective self. I miss his dumb answers to my trivia. I miss the way I ride at the back of his motorcycle. I miss laughing along with him.

I miss him. Period.

But I cannot demand more of his company. He hates me now.

It hurts and I can feel myself getting weaker. I feel like one of my legs are ripped and I couldn't stand alone. I need him for support. I need him back.

But he kept ignoring me whenever we meet at school. Today is another painful day. Everyday from that day at the camp had been a torture day for me. He's my seatmate and it's hard if your seatmate is ignoring you most especially if he was very close to you back then.

Whenever we meet each other at school, I would look at him, hoping that he would look at me too. Even a simple glance is enough for me but he didn't even look my way as if he doesn't even know me.

At this moment, I'm currently taking stolen glances at him. He's reading a novel. I know it's a romantic novel. He said that I need to read some too.

I smiled at the memory and tried to approach him, "Hey. Could I borrow one of your novels?"

But he ignored me. He didn't reply. He didn't even budge even for a little. He acted like he didn't hear me speaking at all.

I tried once more, "Minho. Could I borrow one of your novels? You know you used to ask me to read them back then?"

No response.

I reluctantly placed a hand on his shoulder and shook him a little. "Hey..."

No reply.

"Hey..."

"What?!" he finally said. It sounded more like a scream but he didn't look at me. His eyes are still on the book.

"Could I borrow one of--"

"Shut up Jung Krystal. Why are you bothering now, huh? Are you still trying to get my attention? Can't you see I'm reading? Have some manners!" He looked at me in a piercing gaze and then back at the book once more.

I was taken a back at his sudden outburst. Yes. I'm trying to get his attention. It's because I miss his company. I miss the way we used to treat each other before. Tears welled up in my eyes before I could control them. He's completely cold towards me.

I'm fed up. I'm trying my best here but he won't even give me a chance. Who does he think he is? I didn't even ask him to love me back! I can't let him treat me this way. No one deserves this kind of treatment! I didn't even want to love him but I do. And I can do nothing about it.

It's not my fault.

If he's living his life well without me and treated me like I don't even exist, fine. I can do so too. I don't need him, anyway. It's his loss; not mine.

I rushed out of the room, almost instantly, when the bell rang. Determination rushed through my system and I felt anger fuel me with new strength.

-2-

I'm a person with dignity and I don't allow any others to step onto my pride. Professor Kang took penance because of her self-declared negligence and let me off. He sent me home and I insisted that Minho should stay in the camp. I don't want to see him or be with him. He hurt me too much. I don't care if he rejected me. I can't take that because I know, though science didn't tell me anything close to what I'm experiencing right now, that I cannot force him to love me against his will. But he accused me about taking advantage of him. That hurt my pride and bruised my ego deeply.

I have every right in the world to hate him for that.

If he doesn't want me in his life, fine. I don't need him either. So what if he moved out of my house last year? I don't care. I can manage. I'm strong enough to take care of myself and settle a patent path for my future.

I sighed exasperatedly. Another Summer Camp! I hate it. The memory came rushing back and I don't want to remember even just a minute portion of it. We will be having the activity at the same camp, at the same place where my life was turned all upside down in a blink of an eye.

I woke up with the sun warming my face. I closed my eyes more and tried to shove away the annoying light. If only Professor Kang is not the one in-charge of the camp, I'm not going to join. That stout and bulky man portrays authority and I hate him for that. I'm just a student, after all.

I grumpily got out of my bed when the clock beamed six. My feet moved automatically and I opened the door of my room, only to find myself standing on the hallway. I frowned. A feeling of nostalgia and déjà vu rushed through me. There won't be anyone in the room next to mine now. I don't have to compute for the remaining time to prepare, I don't have to fluff myself to the cushion; I don't have to shout at the wee hours of the morning only to receive a frustrated groan of a sleepy man. There won't be any Choi Minho in the room next to mine.

Not anymore.

Who am I kidding?! That imbecile didn't even give a damn about me now. He doesn't care, so why do I?

The most frustrating part? He is my partner again for today's Summer Camp. As much as I don't want him to be my partner, I can do nothing about it. That professor Kang's brain has been deprived of Iron, I guess.

Sighing, I went inside and get ready for another torturous misadventure.

-3-

We arrived at the camp but I'm not the one seated next to him on the bus anymore. I insisted. I don't even want to see his face, which is always crumpled in an ungrateful angle whenever we meet.

Unlike the previous year, today is a little cloudy and windier. So much for summer season. I grudgingly put up my tent and settled my belongings inside. After all, this will be my last Summer Camp in this school and with him. At last, I'm in my last year. I'll be able to get away from this school and its haunted memories.

The atmospheric pressure is quite higher than usual. I wonder why Professor Kang scheduled the camp at this kind of weather. It's a little dangerous, in fact.

And unlike what I did last year, I was the one who sleep first over the other forty-nine students out there. I don't want to stay late at night and go crazy again, thinking about nonsense stuffs. What I need now is self-determination and autonomy; not those hideous realizations about irritating ideas.

I was slowly drifting off the slumber when I heard some sounds from the outside. I hurriedly pulled myself in a sitting position and tried to decipher what's happening. A few more noise that sounded like someone is pacing back and forth outside the opening of my tent.

With a racing heartbeat, I slowly and carefully ped the zipper until it has a small opening large enough for me to see the outside.

A familiar silhouette of a man came into vision.

I ped the tent totally and opened it fully. "What are you doing here?!" I demanded in audible repugnance. The other person stared at me in shock.

"You're disturbing my sleep. Go pace somewhere else!" I said and zipped the tent once more.

I was only half way on the zipper when he stopped me and held my hand. His eyes are not very visible through the darkness of the evening. "Let go, Choi Minho," I said as I shot him a burning gaze. How dare he disturb my sweet sleep? And to approach me? What does he want now?

He shook his head and his bangs followed the direction of his head like a pendulum, "No."

"What?" I can't believe what I heard. He's invading my privacy!

"Not until you hear me out," he said, his hand tightened its hold on mine.

My eyes narrowed and I shrugged his hand with all my might. When I succeeded, I told him, "Don't you dare disturb me again or I will declare to all about your attempted ," I threatened him. He stepped back for a couple of inches away from me.

"See you tomorrow. After all, you're still my partner. And I'm Miss Unlucky," I said before closing the tent completely and drifted off to sleep. I heard his steps getting farther and farther away.

Glad he got the message.

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

[rossEureka]
123110|2:06,
-Philippines-