Final

I Like You More Than As A Friend

 

Mei walked down the hallway of school with a happy smile on her lips. She said hello to the people she passed and they smiled back at her. Her dark hair was put in a big bun on top of her head and her sneakers made a noise when she made a sharp turn into the classroom.

She scanned the room until she found who she was looking for. Her face brightened up just a little bit more, if it was possible, and then she skipped up behind her best friend. She tapped his shoulder and the man turned around to look at her. His face broke out into a gummy smile and he straightened up a bit.

“Young Guk Oppa!” she said happily and threw her arms around his neck, giving him a tight hug. He smiled and put his arms around her waist before lifting her up a bit from the floor. He grunted as his back protested at the movement and Mei furrowed her brows slightly. They broke the hug and they walked over to their seats, Mei sat in front of Young Guk, and she turned around in her seat. “How was it in Jeju?”

“It was nice. You know I don’t like the heat so much-“ Young Guk began and smiled knowingly as Mei interrupted him.

“Buhu on you. You must be crazy for not liking the heat” she teased and shook her head a bit and Young Guk could only smile. He always complained about not liking the heat that Mei loved.

“But like I said, it was nice. I got to meet my cousins again” he said and Mei nodded. As Mei opened to ask another question their teacher stepped inside and she turned around to the front. Their last lesson of the day and it was going slow.

Mei glanced back at Young Guk and saw how he gently massaged his neck while tilting it to the left and she turned forward and ripper of a piece from her page. She scribble down a small note and looked around before putting it carefully on Young Guk’s table.

Young Guk looked up from his book when he noticed the small piece of paper that bounced onto his table and he took it before opening it.

‘Do you want a massage after school?’

He smiled and scribbled a Thank you on the backside of the note before passing it to Mei again. Mei would always give him massages if his neck or back was hurting. Today his back was still stiff after the flight from Jeju to Seoul even if it hadn’t been so long.

Mei smiled as she got the note back. She loved to give massages, especially to Young Guk because he was always perfectly still and he could take it if she used a bit of strength.

Their class slowly drew to its’ end and as the bell rang Young Guk stretched his back and leaned back on the chair. Mei put her books in her bag and turned to Young Guk who was standing up from his seat.

She smiled and hooked her arm around his and they walked out of class. Mei once again had that happy smile on her lips and Young Guk couldn’t help but smile. Talking and laughing they walked to Young Guk’s place together and Mei held onto Young Guk’s arm all the way.

It wasn’t that Young Guk didn’t like how close Mei was with him, he actually enjoyed it. He does admit, he was maybe slightly in love with his best friend, who was a girl. He liked how she always seemed so happy; she could bright up his day with just that smile of hers.

They walked inside and greeted Young Guk’s mom who was in the kitchen and then they walked up the stairs to Young Guk’s room. Mei threw her bag at the study table, like she always does, and then she looked around the room, even thou she knew that it hadn’t changed since last time.

Young Guk smiled as he the TV in the room and Mei glanced over at the TV before nodding her head in to the beat of the music. She then climbed onto Young Guk’s bed and patted the bed. “Lay down” she said and Young Guk smiled, he took of his sweater which he put on the chair by his study table and then he sat down on the bed.

He then took of his T-shirt which Mei grabbed and folded neatly as Young Guk laid down. She watched his back muscles as he laid down and she smiled a bit. She slowly sat down next to Young Guk and placed her hands on his back.

Young Guk shivered slightly under Mei’s hands and he sighed silently as he looked to his left and Mei started to his back. Mei pressed gently onto his back, searching for any knots and when she found one she’d press it with her hand and she would hear Young Guk grunt under her. She smiled as he did so and she felt the knots loosen up every time.

It had been a good idea to let her mom teach her to massage people a few years back. Mei slowly moved her hands in circular movements over Young Guk’s back again and in about thirty minutes she was finished. She laid down next to Young Guk and on her side. Young Guk turned his head toward his right were Mei was and he smiled.

“Thank you” he said and Mei smiled a small smile. She nodded and Young Guk sat up and pulled on his shirt again and stood up from his bed. “I’ll be right back” he said and walked over to the door and walked outside. Mei smiled and sat up, she shivered inside the cold room and walked over to his study table where she grabbed his sweater from the chair before pulling it on.

She smiled as she smelled the distinct smell that was Young Guk and she zipped up the hoodie and pulled the hood over her head. She then walked over to his bed again and laid down with her head on the pillow. She snuggled down into the pillow and closed her eyes. She felt the sleep she had been missing for the last few days and she sighed once before falling into a slumber.

Young Guk came back into the room and saw Mei lay on the bed. He smiled as he saw his sweater on her. He put down the two cans of coke on the study table and he walked over to the bed. He sat down next to Mei and watched her. He watched her plump lips slightly parted and her long eyelashes slightly shining and her face was relaxed.

Young Guk her cheek carefully with the tips of his fingers and she moved a bit under his hand. He sighed as he continued watching her and he was happy. He was indeed love with Mei. Ever since they met at the first year of High School. Mei had been the new kid who had moved from Busan that same spring and she had taken a liking to Young Guk. Since then they had been friends and he had since then been in love with her.

He loved the way she smiled, how she cared about him and he especially loved her hugs. They always felt warm and safe, a real hug with emotions. He loved it. But he hadn’t told her anything about his feelings for her before.

Mei’s eyes fluttered open later that night and she sat up in the bed. She saw Young Guk at the study table and she smiled. “Sorry I fell asleep” she said and Young Guk turned to look at her. He smiled and shook his head.

“Its’ fine” he answered and Mei stood up from the bed and walked over to Young Guk and put her hands on his shoulders as she leaned over and looked at what he was doing. “Are you hungry?” Young Guk asked as he wrote down something in his book and Mei nodded.

The two of them walked out of the room and Mei smiled as she walked behind Young Guk, she flung her arms over his shoulders and giggled a bit. Young Guk looked back and smiled, he then he grabbed her arms as playfully bit her arm.

“No! Don’t eat me!” Mei laughed and Young Guk laughed with her as they entered the kitchen. Mei let go of Young Guk and looked over at the kitchen clock and noticed that it was already past 8. Her eyes widened and she screamed a bit. “Why didn’t you wake me up earlier Young Guk! I had to be home by seven!” she yelled as she ran out of the kitchen and Young Guk sighed.

He walked out to the hall and smiled as she was looking for her shoes. He grabbed her shoulders, stopping her and she looked at him. “Mei, your mum called an hour ago. She said that you could stay over for the night”

Mei sighed out in relief and slightly hit Young Guk. “Why didn’t you tell me earlier!” she said and laughed as he put his arm around her shoulders before guiding her into the kitchen. She sat down at the table as Young Guk brought over the two plates of food.

They ate together, laughing and talking and Young Guk could just feel his heart flutter when Mei laughed. They walked from the kitchen together and walked up to Young Guk’s room. It wasn’t unusual for Mei to stay over, she did that frequently.

Mei jumped onto Young Guk’s bed and cuddled up with the pillow. She looked over at Young Guk who was still standing by the door. He had decided during their dinner that he would tell Mei how he felt for her. “Come Young Gukkie” Mei said and patted the bed beside her and he smiled as he walked over to the bed, he sat down and looked down at Mei.

“What’s wrong?” she said as she noticed how quiet Young Guk was and she sat up. She took his hand which had been laying on the bed and played with it. She loved Young Guk’s hands, she loved how their hands fit perfectly together and how they would always compare the sizes of their hands when they had nothing better to do.

“What would you do if I liked you?” he asked and watched their hands as Mei played with his fingers. He saw how her fingers gently massaged the back of his hand and he smiled a little.

“I wouldn’t mind” Mei said quietly and laced their fingers together. Young Guk looked up at her to meet her gaze and her smiling face. That smile that always made his heart flutter. He smiled a little, not being able to resist smiling back at Mei.

Mei leaned forward on the bed and was in a short second just in front of him. She had closed her eyes and Young Guk felt her breath on his lips. She had her hand on his shoulder and his hand was on her thigh. They both had their eyes closed as they felt their breaths on their lips and both just sat still.

Finally Young Guk leaned forward that last micro distance and placed his lips on her lips. Mei felt her stomach do flips when Young Guk placed his lips on hers and she carefully and softly placed a bit more pressure on their lips by leaning forward and Young Guk happily accepted the pressure and they moved their lips against each other.

Mei lifted her hands to Young Guk’s head and carefully grabbed his beautiful brown locks. Young Guk pulled Mei closer to himself as he sneaked his arms around her waist and they finally broke away for air and stared at each other.

“I Love you, Young Guk” Mei whispered and Young Guk smiled as he leaned his forehead against hers.

“I Love you more, Mei” he whispered and placed his lips once more on her lips.