Chapter VII

A Mentor, an Apprentice (revamping)

                Minho smiled, fully enjoying the serenity of the forest. He had grown up all his life in cities, surrounded by urban life; he could finally feel relaxed with vibrant colors around him, listening to leaves crackle beneath his feet.

                He came to a stop with his daydreams, blinking slightly in surprise. Taemin had come to a stop beneath a tree, his brilliant blue eyes swirling as he fixed his gaze upon a large tree. His apprentice seemed to be in a slight daze, unmoving beneath the trunk,

                “Taemin.” Minho softly called. At his voice, Taemin very sluggishly moved his head to stare at Minho. The mentor reeled back in surprise, shocked by the sudden emotion betrayed by that usually stoic face.

                Pain…so much grief and sorrow…Eyes so lost and empty…

                At that moment all Minho could ever think of was giving his apprentice a big hug.

                Taemin didn’t resist, though he was a bit frozen stiff under those large embracing arms. Taemin slowly adjusted his gaze to stare at Minho, his head cocking to one side, seemingly questioningly at the elder. It made Minho question himself whether he imagined that flash of emotion in his stoic apprentice.

                “Let’s keep going, Tae. Maybe we’ll find the others soon.” Pushing a confident smile onto his face, Minho clasped Taemin’s shoulders and led him away from the huge tree. The smaller followed, stumbling slightly as they continued their way up the winding path.

                The trees seemed to grow denser with each step, creepers threatening to trip them on their faces if they weren’t careful. Thorns seemed to reach out, clawing at them as they swiftly avoided the intruding shrubs. But the deeper they went, the more beauty of the forest seemed to be shown in their eyes. The flowers that bloomed in the darkness of the undergrowth weren’t seen often, nor the gaudy butterflies that danced around them in vigor, rays of sunlight seeping in from the gaps of leaves, the delicate wingtips.

                “This is beautiful, isn’t it?” Minho breathed. Silence greeted him, and this time his eyes widened in shock when he realized.

                He was alone.

                Alarmed, he picked up his pace, afraid and much worried for the boy he had come to care about. He leapt over a massive vine, narrowly missing a tree trunk as he continued swerving around, calling out to Taemin.

                A scene made him freeze, and for a moment he forgot how to breathe.

                Standing in a patch of sunlight, Taemin’s hair seemed to glow under it, forming a halo. His alabaster skin becoming sculptured marble with a touch of light gold, his eyes shining as he reached out a few tentative fingers, a pair of butterflies settling onto his slender one. Birdsong seemed to come from nowhere, filling the clearing with nothing but the sounds of nature and the wind, caressing Taemin’s fluffy tufts playfully with its light breeze.

                He silently stepped up to Taemin’s side, the apprentice turning his head around. Minho jumped when he realized the younger had sensed his presence somehow, but allowed a gentle smile to grace his lips as he too, held out a finger, and one of the butterflies flew to it.

                “You know, one of these days you’re going to get yourself in trouble, disappearing like that.” Minho whispered, his eyes trailed on the intricate designs on the butterflies’ wings. Slowly his gaze travelled to Taemin, who was staring ahead. Studying the small boy, he found the way the boy’s fragile orb was framed under long lashes, his face so white and pure, it seemed otherworldly.

                Maybe…

                Minho jumped when he heard the sweet voice whispering in his head. He gasped when the image of a girl caught hold of him, her aquamarine eyes glimmering with wisdom well beyond her years. Long hair swept down her back, equally glossy but a beautiful shade of silvery white.

                That was all he saw when he spun into darkness.

 

********

 

                It was completely dark. Pitch black, without a single beam of light. Minho could feel his eyelids opening slowly as a hand shook his arm.

                “Come on, brother! I saw something outside! Let’s go!” A soft giggle sounded in his ears, and he turned to see a young girl. He inwardly doubled back in surprise at how much she looked like Taemin; the way long fluffy tufts of hair framed her petite, pale cheeks…the way her eyes were fringed by long lashes…

                The only difference was the mirth in her eyes, and the beautiful smile that spread across her face.

                Against his subconscious he could feel himself standing up, despite how much he protested. He could feel his mouth open, and what came out was so alien and odd. “Wait.”

                Minho inwardly gulped. He felt as if he had no control of his body whatsoever, and the voice that came out of his mouth was much too high to be his…

                Could it be…

                “Come on, Taemin!”

                Theory confirmed. Minho was in Taemin’s body…but judging by how much taller the trees looked, he was much smaller. Could he possibly be in a memory…of Taemin’s past?

                The girl ran much too fast for Minho’s eyes to follow. But apparently, Taemin could easily catch up to her, though much too late when Minho found himself under the dark copse of the trees, staring at the frozen-stricken girl. Her eyes were wide, gaping, as before them they saw a pair of red orbs. Slavering jaws appeared, glinting maliciously in the light and a low growl was unleashed.

                She began to tremble uncontrollably, and zipped away into a distance out of fear. Minho watched as his hand only narrowly missed grabbing onto the collar of her shirt. He could feel surges of emotion in his chest; worry, fury, hatred and deep grief. It made him want to clutch onto someone and cry his heart out.

                He watched as the girl’s silhouette moved about among the trees, feeling his own feet moving at impossible speeds to catch her. Fear seemed to have captured that small, young child, trapping her in a cage of poisoned thorns that only tightened; the fear possessing her caused her to run blindly through the trees, trying to get away from her living nightmare.

                Bursting out into the open, he couldn’t grab her hand as she slipped away just about a millimeter. Sunlight blinded him for a brief moment, and he blinked away the glare fiercely. Regaining his vision he saw the girl standing upon the asphalt outside of the trees, slightly bent over as tears fell from her eyes rapidly, her breathing labored and her chest heaving.

                A flash of gray. The color of red filled the blue sky, splattering upon his face and filling his mouth with the metallic tang. Minho gasped inwardly at the sight; a truck pummeling into the girl and sending her flying across the ground, rolling a few times before finally motionless on a spot.

                He could feel a wail rising in his throat, unbearable agony filling Taemin’s whole being as he ran towards the girl. Minho watched as Taemin’s hands trembled violently, picking up the girl’s broken body. He could feel the way warm blood seeped onto his hands as he did, and for a moment he saw a memory of another beautiful woman dying in front of Taemin, covered in blood and gazing sightlessly to the sky.

                What were these memories…and why were they so horrible? Minho could only keep his thoughts within his mind as he watched Taemin’s arms gather the girl’s limp form, and begin running back into the forest. The surroundings were lovely and dark, shading them from the harsh sunlight.

                Minho could feel waves of emotion, turbulent in Taemin’s chest. Tiny voices telling him to give up surrounded him, trapping him down in chains as feelings of grief overwhelmed him.

                Tears fell, blurring Minho’s sight. But ever so slightly, he could still catch a glimpse of a pair of red eyes staring at him from a distance. Horrified, and grief-stricken, Minho could feel Taemin scrabbling up, holding the girl’s body close as he ran…

 

*******

 

                Minho gasped, shooting upwards. He was back in sitting position, his breathing labored as he took slow intakes of much needed oxygen. A cold hand upon his arm made him jump; he looked up to see Taemin blinking down at him emotionlessly, his eyes narrowed ever so slightly.

                For a moment, Minho could only feel so much sadness; he couldn’t believe anyone could ever go through such horrible events in their lives, especially not someone like Taemin, who should’ve been just like them. To live a life of laughter and joy, to worry about nothing but what kind of snack they should have for movie night, or perhaps who to date. Definitely not all these fears and death, and certainly not this kind of grief.

                “Taemin…” Minho started, but his voice seemed to choke him. Taemin blinked up at him questioningly, offering him some water. Taking a small sip, Minho bit his lip. He had to wait. He couldn’t bring this on Taemin, not yet. Who knows, maybe it was but a dream. It couldn’t have been so coincidental for him to have witness real memories…

                Or could it?

                Minho sighed, earning himself a look as Taemin cocked his head to one side. Shaking his head, Minho smiled weakly and ruffled the boys’ fluffy hair.

                Perhaps I’ll ask him. But not now, when the time is still not right.

                Instead, Minho reached out his arms, and pulled Taemin into a hug. The apprentice was slightly tense, but relaxed as he seemed to recognize the gesture. Gently, Minho pulled Taemin next to him as they curled up inside the cave Taemin had placed them in. He caressed the boys’ hair, emotionless orbs watching each rather like a surveillance camera, recording everything down without any thought.

                What are you thinking?

                Minho smiled, the light dimming as the sun seemed to set ever so slightly. He studied how Taemin’s skin was still ghostly pale, the only color on his face the full pink lips. As he breathed in, Minho could smell the lightest tinge of the skies, the ocean, the fauna… The sweetest serenity of nature a breathtaking scent upon him. Smiling, Minho ran his fingers through the boy’s hair.

                Taemin blinked, as if in understanding as he closed his eyes and almost instantly, fell asleep. Minho let out a deep sigh, before he himself, closed his eyes and relaxed. He silently succumbed to the peace that enveloped them, and the way heat rushed to his cheeks at the thought just him and…Taemin.

 

********

 

                Chunji was almost immediately rushed to the hospital as soon as they found help. Jonghyun sat outside the room, biting his nails slightly; a nasty habit he ought to have gotten rid of years ago. But under the pressure, he just couldn’t bear it.

                While under intense treatment, Chunji was somewhat safe at the moment. But Niel and Key had returned to the forest, foraging the trails for the missing pair of boys along with the rest of the people.

                Where’s a friend when you need one?

                He sighed, retreating closer to himself as a nurse hurried past. He could almost hear Minho’s footsteps, hurrying towards him. He could almost imagine the worry etched on every line of his best friend’s face, his forehead lined with sweat as he launched into an interrogation of “is he alright?”, then giving the consolation he needed to deal with pressure.

                But he wasn’t there.

                Jonghyun clenched his fists, closing his eyes tightly. It was only when Minho wasn’t at his side, did he realize how important his friend was to him.

                He was broken out of his thoughts when the familiar melody of a piano filled the bleak corridors. He immediately scrambled for his phone, fumbling through his pockets. He gasped when he realized it was Key’s number on the contact.

                “K-Key? How did you get any signal on the hell of a mountain? Did you find them yet? Are they alive? Are they-”

                “Hush, Jonghyun. I managed to find a spot. And I demand you to be calm this instant. No use panicking in the middle of the hospital; it’s honestly not helping.”

                A brief smile spread across Jonghyun’s lips. He held the phone delicately in his fingers, as if it were his most prized possession. And perhaps it was, for that slight moment. He craved to hear the voice of his friend; Key meant just as much to him as his mother would. He wanted so much for Key to be at his side, using his sassy remarks and diva-ish attitude to take over, just anything to make him feel better.

                “Look, we haven’t found them yet. The wind is getting stronger, and the trees look the same wherever we go. It’s rather difficult, so be patient.”

                “How long!” Jonghyun burst out, instantly clamping his jaws shut when almost every person in perimeter shot gazes of surprise in his direction. Rapidly dipping his head in apology, he lowered his voice.

                “How much longer can I be patient?”

                “For as long as you have to be. Panicking and yelling in corridors isn’t going to make this any faster, unless Minho can hear you.”

                Jonghyun closed his eyes, sitting down on a bench, bent over. “I…I can’t go on like this, Key. Without Miho, it’s like…he’s more than any friend…He’s like a brother, the only family I ever had. I’m just sitting here, doing nothing, while knowing he’s out there, hurt or maybe even, even worse! It just feels like I’m losing him, and he’s not here by my side, and I feel so…”

                Alone.

                There was a long period of silence. Then there was a soft whisper.

                “What about me? Don’t I mean anything to you?”

                Key’s voice was low and calm, very unlike him, filled with the slightest edge of anger and maybe even sadness. Jonghyun gasped, “No, it’s just…”

                “What am I to you, Kim Jonghyun? A person at your disposal? Someone whose just going to stay at your side until he disappears?”

                Jonghyun was shocked silent, unable to speak. There was another moment of silence, before the phone was hung up, leaving Jonghyun to be listening to the beeps that showed that Key was no longer there.

                His mind short-circuiting, Jonghyun crumbled. He gripped his knees tightly, biting his lip as a few tears betrayed him, falling from his eyes. He wasn’t sure what to do. He was simply sitting helplessly, waiting and praying that Chunji would survive the snake poison. That Niel would find the missing ones somehow. That Minho would come back, smiling at him. Even Taemin, to be safe and unscathed as well.

                And of course, that Key would somehow forgive him for the way he had spoken to him.

                “What about me? Don’t I mean anything to you?”

                Key’s question replayed in his mind, and Jonghyun gazed up at the white ceiling blankly. He didn’t know how to answer…he couldn’t find it…