Chapter VIV

A Mentor, an Apprentice (revamping)

               To say Jonghyun was worried was a complete understatement. The boy looked as if he were about to strangle someone within perimeter, his eyes blankly staring at the ground as he paced back and forth outside the door that he wanted so much to burst into, yet didn’t dare to move a muscle.

                Key sat nearby, his expression rather perturbed as he struggled to keep a calm façade, for the sake of his panicking friends. Niel was desperately trying to divert his attention by burying himself into a book, but obviously it was failing as his eyes kept flitting towards the door of the very room that held his friends. And…the book was held upside down.

                As soon as the news came of their friends being found and sent to the hospital, the three had stopped at nothing to reach the hospital. Even if it was like, 3 am at night, they frantically hailed a cab. None really cared about themselves anymore; it was obvious from the terrible mess of hair, pikachu pajama pants and bunny slippers. It could’ve been funny if the situation had not been so dire.

                The door suddenly opened, making the three them jump almost a few feet into the air. They shot up at once, surrounding the doctor like hungry wolves as they fixed their wide eyes on the man.

                “Is he alright? Will he live? There isn’t permanent damage to either of them, right?” Their questions were endless as they interrogated the poor doctor. The man shrunk back, holding up his hands as a signal for silence as the three tried to calm down.

                “Now, both patients have different situations. Mr Choi was simply knocked out cold and with a bit of frostbite. As for Mr Lee…I’m afraid he has contracted a severe case of hypothermia, so it’ll take a while for him to get better. Mr Lee also sustained a couple of injuries including fractures and some scratches, but otherwise that’s about it. They won’t die since they’re both very young and healthy individuals to begin with, and there is no immediate danger. They should be able to heal quite well given time.”

                Hearing the doctor’s words made their emotions go up and down as if they were riding a roller coaster. But after realizing that neither were at death’s door they all breathed a sigh of relief.

                “I swear, my heart almost jumped out of my chest when we received that phone call in the afternoon, that there was a high chance they might not be found because of the huge blizzard,” Key sighed, collapsing into the nearest chair. “Turns out they scared us to death for nothing.”

                Jonghyun rolled his eyes, “You can say that again. It’s like they’re bent on torturing us, and I think we’ve had enough for a lifetime thanks.”

                Niel nodded his head in agreement, his eyes flaming with annoyance, “I’d love to smack them for doing that…”

                “Stabbing people is illegal, Niel. There are reasons why there are still stupid people out there, who notify others of alarming news without even giving enough thought to it,” Key mumbled. Jonghyun rolled his eyes, finally relaxed somewhat as the three sat in a silence, all three smiling inwardly at the thought that their friends were very much alive, and that was all that they cared about.

 

*********

 

                “…inho. Minho!”

                A certain brunette was shaken brutally awake by several slaps on the face. He awoke rather reluctantly, a hand messaging his cheeks that were flushed and rather in pain, as he sat up.              

                “Alright, I’m up, I’m up. Stop slapping me…” His voice trailed away, eyes widening as he took in his surroundings.

                “…This ain’t heaven, right?”

                Minho blinked around at the white world, devoid of any taints of color. He couldn’t see anything but this blankness.

                That is, until he felt something on his shoulder.

                Leaping back in surprise, he found himself staring into the eyes that were the loveliest shade of sea-green. Soft hazel locks framed a slim face that resembled a certain apprentice he knew. Those eyes stared at him coolly, like the calm ocean of understanding.

                “So, hello and all that greetings. I’m Taemin’s bro, and I was killed by that monster that killed my sister and almost got Taemin.” He spoke noncommittally, seemingly bored. Minho regarded the boy with slightly shocked eyes, while the boy simply rolled his eyes.

                “Yes, I know I’m weird. Being normal is boring, alright?”

                Minho was tongue-tied for a second, before he managed to mumble, “There should at least be more humane ways to wake people…”

                The boy snorted as he crouched down a little like a frog, placing a hand on Minho’s head, “It’s tough, isn’t it? Looking after my bro; you have my thanks. It means a lot to me. I couldn’t stay by his side since I was too bent on getting revenge for my sister’s death…”

                He mumbled, and for a second I was thrown into a torrent of memories. I could see the boy’s child face twisted in anger as he ran off, being chased by a concerned Taemin. Then suddenly the world was a mix of blood-red and white, until there was but a scene of the poor boy being killed, his body limp as he lay in a pool of red, eyes staring sightlessly to the sky with an angry snarl frozen on his face, while Taemin looked on in fear at the pair of crimson eyes that gazed on from a distance.

                Minho could only gape as he blinked the vision away, slightly dazed and at the same time, worried.

                “Wait…If what you showed me was real…”

                “Oh, and don’t forget the past visions you got. Of my dear sister and, of course, our mother.” Said Taemin’s brother took into a brief account of telling Minho about their mum, which made Minho almost wheeze in shock. At the thought of having a whole family slaughtered right before one’s eyes…

                “That must hurt…” Minho whispered, holding a hand to his chest. The boy blinked up at him, his relaxed expression suddenly becoming pained, his eyes losing the usual sparkle despite that forced smile put on his face.

                “Well duh.” The brother muttered, “Why do you think we haven’t been able to get through to Taemin in the first place?”

                Minho sank deep in thought, before he snapped his head around in shock as the previous sentence seemed to finally sink in, “Wait, get through? Now just a second…aren’t you…”

                “Dead?” The boy mumbled, a soft sigh passing through his lips, “Yeah, but you can’t exactly call us human.”

                “So what, are you…mythical creatures? Like maybe…vampires or demigods…”

                The boy smacked Minho on the head, making the elder’s head spin. Youch, he didn’t know dream slaps could hurt that much, “This ain’t Twilight or Percy Jackson, idiot. You’ve been reading too many fantasy books for you own good. But…”

                Getting to his feet, the boy turned his back, eyes fixed on a distance, “…But, perhaps you’re not far off.”

                Taking a deep breath, Minho mumbled, “So…is Taemin so…quiet and distant because he’s mourning? For his family?”

                There was a small period of silence before the boy shook his head, “Partially. But it’s been a long since that cursed time.”

                Minho watched as the boy’s face twisted into something of bitterness and hatred, before the boy continued, “Taemin’s had to carry the burden for so long…But now that we’re gone he’s all alone, no one to help him, no one to turn to. Those fragile shoulders can’t possibly hold something so heavy, and I’m worried he’s close to…”

                “What is he carrying?” Minho whispered quietly, unable to imagine what could happen to Taemin. The brother opened his mouth, just about to speak when he flinched.

                “I have to go.”

                “Wait…”

                “Taemin is awakening. And he wouldn’t be happy if he senses me trapping you in this dream-like trance…”

                “But tell me! What is Taemin? What is he…”

                The boy was slowly fading, his sea-green eyes filled with sadness, “I’m afraid, that is the answer you will have to seek on your own. Because time is up.”

 

********

 

                Minho sat up so immediately he hit his head on the shelf above. Letting out a whimper he placed his hand on the throbbing pain that was forming on his skull. It took a moment for him to realize he was in a hospital, with bandages around his limbs. He briefly remembered the dream…he couldn’t remember specific details but he could feel a deep pain in his heart, something that made it clench as soon as he thought of his apprentice’s face…

                Pushing aside his conflicting thoughts, he decided to settle for the first problem, as in why on earth was he in the hospital?

                He was still wracking his brains when the door to his room burst open. Minho heard a soft gasp, the thump as something was dropped to the floor. He didn’t even have time to react as he was wrapped in a suffocating hug, the sound of sobbing surrounding him as he was completely taken aback.

                “My son!”

                Minho blinked in surprise, slowly recognizing the lovely scent that always surrounded the person he loved the most. His arms moved up, with effort since he was still a bit weak, until they wrapped around her back, “M-mom…”

                “Why did you do that? Were you crazy to have gone out in that blizzard?”

                “Bli…zzard?”

                At Minho’s questioning tone, his mother immediately pulled back, her arms on Minho’s shoulders as she stared straight into his eyes. Minho stared at his mother, feeling the smallest feeling of sadness at the sight of the eyebags that had formed under her eyes. Her pale face out of fear and relief, and the tears that were threatening to fall.

                “Don’t you remember? You were trapped in a blizzard during the trip to the mountains. It took a while till they could find you…”

                Minho searched his brain, until something in his memory clicked. He remembered, the horrific scene he had seen before everything became white.

                “T-Taemin…”

                “What?” His mother blinked, slightly confused. Obviously, since she had never heard of the apprentice Minho had. Without a word, the still-weak boy staggered to his feet.

                “Wait, you can’t move around yet!”

                Minho turned his head to stare distressed at his mother, his hands clenching desperately onto her arms as he struggled to find his balance, “H-he saved me…He can’t be…”

                The two were still frozen until the door slammed open to reveal an open-mouthed boy.

                “Minho! You’re awake!” Jonghyun practically flew forward, wrapping the boy in another suffocating hug that almost cracked him to pieces. Minho’s mother chuckled softly at the shorter; she had been very familiar with this boy since Jonghyun and Minho had almost been inseparable as kids.

                “Jonghyun? Where’s…”

                At the sight of Minho’s somber mood, Jonghyun frowned, instantly understanding. “Come with me.”

                The three proceeded out the door with caution, slowly walking down the hallways. Minho remembered briefly the directions of the hospital…The turn left, then right…

                The color drained from his face as he was walking down a path he had never wanted to set foot on. The insides of him was thrown into turmoil. He couldn’t believe where they were headed as they finally came to a room, outside he saw two familiar faces that were both pale, and very blank as if in shock.

                At the sound of footsteps the two looked up, smiling at Minho, though it didn’t reach their eyes, “You’re awake.”

                Key whooshed forward, giving Minho a hug but the taller could sense Key avoiding his eyes. Niel was calmer as he smiled a small smile at Minho, hugging him briefly before stepping back.

                “Is Taemin…”

                “Not dead, but his condition worsened over time,” Key mumbled, turning his head to stare at the door of the ICU. Minho almost collapsed, if not for his mother and Jonghyun who caught him in time.

                “Who is Taemin?” His mother murmured gently, her eyes slightly curious. The others turned their head towards the woman, before responding automatically.

                “He’s my apprentice…”

                “A person very dear to me…”

                “Quiet, yet so supportive…”

                “Such a loving, protective heart…”

                They all exchanged glances, before smiling awkwardly. They hadn’t realized how much the antisocial, fragile boy had wormed his way into their hearts, their fondness for the boy growing day by day.

                “He was the one who saved me, Mom,” Minho whispered, “If he hadn’t pushed me out of the way, I’d have…”

                His mother’s hands were covering in shock, as she hugged Minho tightly again, tears springing. She didn’t know Taemin in person, but at the moment all she could feel was immense gratitude to the boy who had sacrificed himself for her son.

                Minho stared blankly at the hospital door. He began to wonder silently, on what was behind that door. He worried so much about Taemin, and there was a part of him filled with curiosity as to what his apprentice really was.

                And the endless pain he felt as to whether his apprentice would ever wake and let Minho try to bring him back to the world of life and light.