Let Me Die At My Happiest Point

Let Me Die At My Happiest Point

The time goes by slowly. Tick tock, tick tock. There are yet so many confessions that are needed to confess.  

Lin, why are you doing this to me? How can you do this to your own mother?

You’ll never get married. You’re not like your younger sister who’s actually useful.

Sis, I love you. Remember that.

The voices are ringing in her head as she drinks from her bottle of beer. Life was never easy was it? It’s a hard and cruel world. You must do everything in order survive. Must it be studying or working. Leaving your family could be an option, but was killing your family one as well?

The girl, about 19, picked up her phone from the table and dialed a number. It was the number that she always called. It was the only number in her phone in fact. The number that belonged to her only friend. It rang two times before the phone was picked up.

“Hello? Lin, is that you?” Byun Baekhyun was his name. Simply hearing his voice made Lin feel much happier. She calmly answered, “Baekhyun, can I see you? Can we meet at the rooftop?” The rooftop. It was their special place. It was a place where Lin could be herself. “Okay. I’ll be there at around 10 o’clock.”

She merely whispered a barely audible “okay” right before hanging up. As she ran her hands through her long, black hair, she gave a loud sigh and looked at her surroundings. Everything in her apartment seemed to be in place. The only thing that seemed to be quite abnormal was the number of beer bottles scattered throughout the living room. The amount was unbelievable, but she was definitely sober.

Tick tock, tick tock…

9:5o pm was what her watch read.

Another sigh escaped her lips, and she stood up and made her way to the front door. She slung her brown leather bag over her shoulder and slipped a picture of Baekhyun and her into her pocket. The girl was certainly nervous. She was going to do something unthinkable, and she had to come clean to her only friend; her best friend. She glanced at the ceiling and whispered, “Sis, I’m doing it now. I’m sorry.”

Running, running, running…

The stairs were becoming less and less by the step, and she was closer to reaching her final destination. She gave a nod right before opening the door to the roof, her special place. Standing near the “edge of the world”, as they had called it, was Byun Baekhyun waiting patiently. Upon hearing the door open, he turned around and showed off an eye smile before speaking.

“I’m actually here before you are? That’s a first, Lin.”

Lin laughed a bit and joined him by the edge. “Well, there has to be a first for everything, right Baek?”

“That’s right. So what’s up? Anything you want to talk about?” He stared into the pair of black orbs before him.

B-bump, b-bump…

The girl’s heart started to race as she thought about the words she was going to say. Then, she turned to stare off into the city’s vibrant lights. “I want to ask you a simple question, first.” He nodded and replied with, “Go on. Shoot.” Lin gulped and started.

“Baekhyun, do you…” He shifted his position, so that he was looking at her and raised an eyebrow. She gulped again and continued to stare at the view. The words finally spilled from .

“Baekhyun, do you hate me?”

Lin looked down, and Baekhyun stared at her wide-eyed, wondering why she would ask such a thing. “Lin, of course I don’t hate you. Why would you ask that? Do you think I’m a bad friend?” She glanced at him and sighed. “No reason. You’re not even close to bad. You’re the best thing ever.”

Baekhyun continued to stare at her, examining her. Then, he nodded and looked back into the open.

“Thank you.”

“Why are you thanking me, Lin?”

“You’re a good friend. You’ve always been there for me.”

He smiled and held up a peace sign. “Byun Baekhyun, at your service~”

She let out a chuckle before pausing and sighing once again. She needed to tell him something very important. She needed to tell him right now. Lin looked straight into Baekhyun’s brown orbs with a serious look on her face. Baekhyun copied her actions, and the tension was building in the air.

They stayed that way for a bit until the girl thought she finally found the courage that was buried deep down into her core. She opened to speak, but the words wouldn’t come out. Baekhyun broke the stare, and pulled her into a warm a hug. Tears suddenly fell onto her face.

“Hey, Lin, what’s wrong? Just tell me, okay?” Baekhyun’s voice remained calm and assuring as he tried to get her to elaborate on her feelings. She pulled away from the hug, wiped her tears, and scooted a step away.

“Baekhyun, get away from me. I’m a terrible person.”

His muscles tensed up. “What are you trying to say? Did you do something wrong?” He examined her face that was stained with tears and pure fear. She paused and reluctantly nodded. “Yeah…I did something wrong.”

“What did you do?”

Her eyes found the ground, and she bore them into the cement. “I…did something unthinkable. You’ll hate me. I’ll be sure of that.”

“Lin, I will never hate you. Even if you did something bad, I won’t form a hate for you. We’re best friends right?”

“Yeah…that’s right.”

Drifting on…Drifting on…

“Remember when I told you that my parents and younger sister died in a car crash?”

“I remember. Why?”

“That’s not exactly how they died.”

He gave her a look of confusion, and she understood that she should elaborate what she just said.

Freedom is arriving…it’s nearing in…

“When my younger sister was born, she immediately became the favorite.”

*Flashback*

“Oh look at her! She’s so beautiful!” The proud mother looked at her newborn child with love and passion. Every member of the family started to crowd around the baby girl. Well, almost everyone. Standing by the door was a girl who was about six years old.

Her hair was long and glistening with the darkest shade of opal. A small, vermillion coat was presented over her little rose colored unitard and matching tutu. She had just come from her ballet contest in which she won first place. She was curious as to what everyone was looking at, but she knew that it was just her younger sister. The new favorite.

The mother focused her gaze from her baby to the girl in the back. The little girl with the tutu was about to call for her mother, but the woman turned away showing disgust and went back to admiring her baby and talking with the family.

The girl simply nodded at the ground and exited the room with tear-filled eyes. Why did her mother look disgusted with her? She didn’t do anything.

The aunt noticed the lack of her presence and made her way into the hallway to see her crying niece. She immediately pulled the young one into a hug and patted her back telling her over and over again, “It’s alright. Don’t cry.”

*Present*

“I remember when I walked in my mom just looked at me with a hateful look. I felt as if all of the good times, before my sister was born, were just full of fake happiness.” Baekhyun nodded in an understanding manner and remained patient as he knew that she was having a time of trouble.

“When my mom and sister came home from the hospital, I actually formed a love for my sister, and I wanted badly to take care of her. As I got nearer to her, my mom hit me and told me to stay away. The years went by, and I had to grow up by myself because my parents were so infatuated with my sister. When I was 10, I overheard a conversation between my mother and father."

*Flashback*

"Honey, she's your kid too. Can you not show her any love?" The man looked down at his wife with pleading eyes. The woman, who was far shorter, was quite reluctant with her spouse's remark. Then her head popped up and had a small smirk played on her face that only she would notice. "How about your other daughter, hmm? If we give all of the attention to Lin, what about Eunhee?" 

The man felt uneasy and just shook his head. That's when the woman spoke up again. "Just watch. You'll come running to me and tell me that I was right. That girl, Lin can do nothing for us."

Nothing...Just nothing...

Her husband stared at her and then left the room. 

*Present*

"The fact that my mom said such a thing just killed off my heart. I thought then that I had hope with my dad, but I believe I was wrong about that. As I got older, the days got tougher. All of my friends went off to my sister, and my dad began to hate me as well." Lin glanced at Baekhyun and saw the look of pity on his face. She managed a smile. "Don't pity me. I don't like it." He shook his head, and Lin simply looked away.

"I really loved my sister, you know. Eunhee was just beautiful. We had a really great relationship, but I always felt jealous of her. Plus, our mom hated our bond." 

Baekhyun, who was still looking at her, ran his long, soft fingers through Lin's opal hair. "Why were you jealous of her?"

She hesitated for a moment and shivered when Baekhyun kept running his fingers through her hair. "She was always so perfect. She had all the guys all over her, and she had such a large circle of friends. Those are both things I will never be able to achieve. Anyway, my dad is someone I just can't believe. He's terrible."

*Flashback*

The room was dimly lit, and there was a man standing over a young girl. "You stupid girl. You're useless. You can't do anything." Tears continued to slip through the girls eyes. She tried to keep her crying slient, but she just broke. This earned a slap from the man, who was her father. "Don't cry, you stupid !"

The girl slowly stood up ignoring the pain that shot throughout her body, and she ran into her room and locked the door. 'Why me? What happened to everything?' were in her thoughts. 

*Present*

"He abused me, verbally and physically, at least twice a day." Lin looked down and removed Baekhyun's hand from her hair. She then backed away from the "edge of the world" and walked a single circle around Baekhyun. "Here's the part which will make you hate me, Baek." He opened his mouth to respond with something similar to,"I already told you I wouldn't hate you.", but he was interrupted by Lin. "Trust me, Baek. You will." She flashed a small smile as her eyes were filled with tears.

"It was during the night. My parents were watching the TV and my sister was in her room next door. I was laying on my bed after my second dose of abuse for the day. I finally had enough. I snuck inside my parent's bedroom to find my dad's valuable possesion."

The value was in the gun...It was...

"How does this make me hate you?" Baekhyun chuckled, but quickly faltered when he saw her face. "Sorry." She nodded and continued. "It was a gun."

*Flashback*

This girl. She slowly travelled down the hallway and made her way to the door that lied at the very end of the hall. A sigh escaped her lips as she twisted the door knob and entered the bedroom which belonged to her parents. She needed to work fast. She needed to get this certain item and do what was nessesscary before it was too late. Her eyes twinkled when she found her father's dresser. Glances were made on both sides and behind her. 

Then, she went in for the prey. She opened the dresser without making a single creaking noise, and there it was. Her father's pistol layed in front of her eyes. She picked it up by the pearl handle and examined the intricate designs engraved on the pistol's exterior. The barrel was completely filled with bullets. A sharp breath came from and she closed her eyes for a moment. 

It was time. Her eyes opened and she walked out of the room to the hallway before the living room. She made her plan, and flickered her eyes at her mother and father. Swiftly, she raised the gun and pulled the trigger towards her father's head. Immediate death. The girl's mother slowly turned around with shock and fear. "L-Lin?" The girl shot her mother's shoulder and then shot her arms. "I. I've had enough of your abuse. We're all going to Hell anyway. Why don't I kill you now?"

Her mother screeched in pain. "Why? Why are you doing this to me? I'm your mother!" The tears poured from the woman's eyes. The girl shook her head. "You're not my mother. You hated me. You've always wanted Eunhee's happiness. Not mine. Not anyone's. Just Eunhee. I can't believe I still have the tolerance to call you my mother. How could you just do all of this abuse to me? It's your turn now." She looked dead straight into her mother's brown orbs. 

"Please. I'm sorry." 

With that, the girl pulled the trigger on her own mother. "Goodbye."

Then, the girl's younger sister appeared and immediately screamed. Out of impulse, she pulled the trigger on the younger. She realized what she had just done, and yelled. "Eunhee!! No!!!" 

A faint sound came from the younger's mouth. "I'm...fine, but why? Why did you kill them?"

"Eunhee, I couldn't take it anymore."

"Take what?"

"The abuse." The girl held her younger sister's hand as they both cried. "I'm sorry, Eunhee. I'm sorry. I love you, but I hate you." The tears continued on. "I know, sis. I'm sorry too. No matter what, I'll always love you. Kill me now?"

"No, I ca-" 

"Do it." The younger insisted and then closed her eyes. The girl shakily raised the gun and pulled the trigger.

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry. I'll make it up to you."

Tears fall...Find a way out of trouble...

*Present*

"Baek, I..." Lin sniffled and tried to keep a smile on her face as the tears ran down. "I killed them."

His face showed bewilderment, fear, and shock. "What?" His eyes widened and his knees weakened making him sit on the concrete ground below them. 

"I killed them, Baekhyun. I did it." 

"H-How? You're not in jail?"

She looked down. "They didn't suspect me. My aunt took the blame and said she killed them." Her hands covered her face as she cried out words of remorse. She mumbled a great amount of "sorry"s. 

Suddenly, she felt a pair of warm arms wrap around her. "Lin, I don't hate you. I will never hate you." She continued to sob into his shoulder, and he rubbed her back and her hair. 

"I need to do something important now, Baekhyun." She placed her brown leather bag in Baekhyun's hands, and he turned in his hands. "Keep that for me." She presented a genuine smile and sniffled.

At "the edge of the world", she took her place on the ledge and sat on it facing the roof. "Byun Baekhyun. I'd like to thank you for being there for me. I'd like to thank you for being my friend. I'd like to thank you for accepting me. I would also like to thank you for..." She trailed off and a tear strolled down her porcelain skin. "Thank you for letting me know what it's like to love and be loved." Then she looked into his brown orbs and choked out, "...Goodbye." 

With this, she stood on the ledge and jumped off.

"LIN!!!!!" His voice fading away. She closed her eyes and awaited her death at the bottom.

I've finally made it up to you, sis. Baekhyun, thank you. I love you...Open the bag for me.

Falling...Falling...The white light is visible in my sight...I've been set free...

 


A/N: Well, hello there. I feel depressed now after writing this TT^TT I hope you enjoyed it, though. Thank you for reading and a big thanks to my subscribers! ...I feel like I'm just crushing everyone's feels.

~Ree