Season 1 - Ch 1

Fragile Love (JeTi - on-going)

Chapter One

 

 

 

 

 

Tiffany

 

 

 

 


I was walking down the corridors of the school with my close friend when I saw Jessica, a blonde, angelic-looking classmate, talking to her sister and her cousin. “Is that really your plot?” I heard one say in English, but I was not really sure who amongst them spoke since I didn’t really like eavesdropping. The idea of listening to someone else’s conversation was just rude and unethical. 

Trying to avert my focus on something else, I continued to walk but stole hidden glances from Jessica from the corner of my eyes. There was a familiar sensation in my stomach accompanied by my audible heartbeat in me that bothered me mindless. I had gotten used to it though. It had always been like this whenever I see her. She was captivating, graceful, and beautiful. It seemed as though my eyes were meant to focus on her. “Fany-ah…” Sunny, the friend I was walking with, whispered close to my ears. “It’s too obvious when you look at her like that.”

I jolted and looked over my shoulder. “I wasn’t even looking,” I said as I walked rapidly away from her, heading to our class. I settled my things on my desk and sat down, as Sunny followed, occupying the seat next to me.

“Tiffany, the marks are out and you’re ranking is pretty awesome! Second? Such good brains!” Sooyoung. my friend, said as she approached us while munching on her Twix Bar.

I flashed a smile, reaching my eyes. I saw it before heading to class and I was truly happy for getting such scores. “Thanks,” I said.

“But doesn’t Fany hate losing?” Yuri added while following behind Sooyoung, “Why be all happy when Jessica beat you into being number one?”

“It’s because she’s her.” Sunny and Sooyoung answered in unison, and just quoted what I usually replied. Of course I wouldn’t mind losing to the only person whose presence influenced me this much. I had been the top of the class ever since I was young, and so it was only natural for me to be number one, but that changed when Jessica transferred in our senior year. “Come on, do you really think she’ll hate her and confront her?” Sunny asked Yuri and added, “She’s flustered every time Jessica’s near her and she can’t really be herself when she’s around, so do you really think she can go up to her and just say, ‘imma beat you, yo!’” She joked as she held the hem of her uniform and flails the other arms up in the air, waving it from side to side.

Everyone laughed at Sunny’s last quotation. It really was funny every time she pretended to be a gangster and all. She watched way too many American films that featured such vernaculars. “It’s not that. I think, whenever she’s involved, I can’t really help but give in. Plus, she really is good at everything.” From the corner of my eyes, I could see Jessica walking in.

She really was the only person who can make my heart beat so fast.

Yuri then crossed her arms on her chest with a cheeky grin on. “Are you saying you’re simply giving in or you’re just covering the fact that she really beats you in everything?”

“Hey!” Sooyoung chimed in. “Tiffany held the spot for years, and Jessica came along and took it from her. May it be because she likes the girl or she’s just a little dumber than Jessica, but whatever.”

“That’s true. It’s not everyday that Tiffany admits to liking someone.” Sunny joined in; to which I only replied with a smile.

At the beginning, I was still wondering if I was really attracted to girls, but there had been no guys who made me feel this way. It wasn’t like I was afraid to be known as a lesbian, especially in this decade where it was not really much of a big deal. Gay couples were accepted and seeing them was a normal thing. So having this type of feeling for a girl would be normal, right? But then again, having a family with great social standings in the society for more than one hundred years made it more difficult for me to be open about my orientation. There was this facade I needed to keep, at least until I was certain who I was. For now, only my friends would know of this lingering emotions I held for Jessica. For now.

Mister Jook came in carrying his usual things: briefcase, textbooks, and a cup of coffee from the gas station. He was more joyful than usual, as he wore that grin on his face. On typical days, he would wear this smile, decent enough to pass as friendly, but aloof enough to be distant. “Good morning class.” Everyone murmured a greeting in different tones and octaves, yet he wasn’t bothered by our practiced welcoming. “It’s really nice to have both the top two students here in my class.” He looked at me and then shifted his gaze to Jessica, who was blankly staring back at his direction. It was so apparent that she wasn’t truly listening. I had been observing her so much that I knew a lot of things that’s actually beneath her blank expression. Like she had this talent to actually sleep with her eyes semi-open. Amazing wasn’t it? Well, maybe it wasn’t the most appealing look, but she pulled it off. She looked adorable enough.

“Since Jessica’s our number one student, she will be giving a speech to future students and she will also organize the event.” I could hear chattering from my classmates as he announced this.

“Isn’t that the student council’s job?” Sooyoung asked.

The teacher nodded in agreement. He then settled his things on the desk in front of us and explained, “The student council president has an important seminar along with the vice president, hence the need of help. And of course, Jessica and another student will be helping the rest of the student council on this project.”

Everyone disagreed and was not willing to do extra work since college exams were just around the corner.

“She can handle it without anyone’s help,” one said and many of our classmates agreed.

“Hey! I think one of her friends should help.” Mister Jook rebutted but none responded.

I raised my hand as I flashed a smile. “Sir, I have some free time so I think I can help Jessica out.”

Jessica shifted her gaze at me; her eyes were wide open. It was the longest eye contact we had ever since she transferred here. “You don’t have to bother yourself. I’ll handle it.” She said coldly.

But I was very used to this cold response since I had been observing her ever since. “I don’t really have much to do since I’ve been accepted to universities.” I flashed a wider smile.

“Settled. I’ll give you the information later. Go to the faculty during lunch.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

****

 


We were informed that we were just responsible until the president was back from the seminar For Future Leaders. That was less than two weeks from today.

On our way back to the classroom from the faculty, Jessica’s sister and cousin approached us as we were walking together. “Hey Jessica!” called Kyrstal in English. “This is such a rare sight. You’re actually walking with someone.”

Both Kyrstal and Nicole laughed, mocking the loner-prodigy. She didn’t respond to them and just continued on walking. “O-oooh. We’re dead later.” Nicole exaggeratingly lifted both her hands, placing one on each cheek, shaking her head as she pretended to be frightened.

“Hi Tiffany… we’re this freak’s family.” Krystal greeted with a warm smile. “My name’s Jung Krystal and this is Jung Nicole.”

“Hello.” I greeted them respectively, bowing at them a little.

“Thanks for actually taking care of my sister. She thinks she’s all that. I know it’s hard for you to keep her on her feet but just try. And don’t let her bully you on this…” She then held her chin, her invisible mustache. “Well, this thing where you invite kids to join this school. Just don’t let her bother you with her, ‘I want it N.O.W. Now!’” She giggled so cutely after she finished. She really was just the exact opposite of her sister. She was cheerful, friendly, very social, and to add to that, awake!

“Yah! If you’re just gonna bad mouth me while I’m still here, you’ll get it from me later!” Jessica snapped. After seeing her reaction, both the girls started to walk away as fast as they could, but I could still hear their laughters.

I looked at the girl beside me, this angelic looking girl really was no angel. It wasn’t like I wasn’t used to her demeanor. It was actually quite interesting to see her like this when I was just less than a foot away.

“I’m sorry about my pesky family.” She frowned at me. “They’re always like that when I’m with someone.” It was the first actual conversation we had ever since we met; first non-school related conversation at least.

Volunteering was the best decision I had made.