Meeting Up Again

Dealing with Life

 

            “Good afternoon.  I am your professor Park Gyuri.”

            Taeyeon continuously hit his head against the wall in frustration.  He groaned and asked himself why he was given the worst luck ever.  He was glad that he was able to see her again.  He knew he was.  However he did not want to meet again in this situation. 

            At first Jessica, Tiffany, and Hyoyeon were confused by Taeyeon’s actions.  Sure they saw him frustrated at times.   Like the time he was hiding at Yuri’s apartment for a week because the two girls he was seeing at once were on the hunt for him.  Then there was that one time that Taeyeon was caught kissing Soyeon by her boyfriend, Seungho, at party.  Nothing was unusual about it.  He did get himself into trouble.  This time though, they could not tell what was wrong.

            Jessica nudged a Tiffany a bit too hard, “Hey what’s Taeyeon his hitting his head for.”

            Still recovering from that bony attack, Tiffany rubbed her arm, “I don’t know.  By the way, doesn’t our professor seem really familiar?”

            “Yeah she’s pretty young too,” Jessica was curious about.  “She can’t be that much older than us. Hyo what do you think?”

            “You’re right Sica.  She is probably around our age.  Maybe she’s TA?” Hyoyeon shrugged his shoulders.  He had to agree that something about this woman was quite familiar. 

            “Hwang Miyoung?”

            Hearing her name, Tiffany immediately turned back to the front of the room, “Here!  Also could you call me Tiffany instead of Miyoung?”

            The young professor agreed and continued onto her roll call.

            “Kim Hyoyeon?”

            “Here,” Hyoyeon nodded his head to her.

            “Okay.  Kim-” Gyuri paused for a moment.  Her hands were still, as her pen rested on that one line with that one name.  Nothing came out from her lips, while her jaw slightly dropped.  Realizing that she needed to move one, she cleared , “Kim Taeyeon.”

            Once he heard his name, Taeyeon stopped hitting his head against the wall.  He lifted his head and looked in her direction.  Their eyes locked at one another.  Like earlier, his eyes revealed his frustration.   Still underneath that negativity, there was a sense of wanting.  Gyuri was not sure, but all she knew was that there was only shock and confusion in hers.  Even though she had a cool composure, a part of her panicked.  What was funny though was Taeyeon.  He must have sensed something by the way he suddenly changed.  Instead of that moody expression, he smiled at her.  It was like when they first met.  A small smile, exposing his top teeth, there was a cute dorkiness to it. 

            “Hey,” Taeyeon suavely crooked his head to her. 

            A few swoons were heard in the room.  At first Gyuri thought she was hearing things, but she then noticed the girls in her class.  More than half of them turned to Taeyeon’s direction, where they just stared at him.  There was a googiliness to them.  They were infected with some love sickness.   Usually when Gyuri saw girls like this, she wanted to scoff at them.  She did not this time.  Partially because she was their professor, but also there was a pang of this strange feeling.

            “Hello,” Gyuri delivered another beautiful smile. 

             Taeyeon thought if looks could kill, Gyuri would be a serial killer.  There was something deadly about it because it took one’s breath away at first sight.

-----

            “How did you and Yuri meet?” Hyuna asked as she nibbled on her sandwich.  She, Jihyun, and Yuri were all sitting on the ground at the school’s dance studio, eating lunch that Hyuna personally packed herself. 

            Jihyun was quiet when asked because she was unsure of how to answer it.  Sure she and Yuri were only dancing.  It was not like, they were kissing or anything beyond that.  However there was this connection she made with him. 

            Seeing her reaction, Yuri quickly cut in, “Oh I just passed by the room and saw her dancing through the window.  She was really good, so I wanted to watch.”

            Jihyun gave a nervous glance at him.  Inside she was silently lecturing herself for not answering such a simple question.  He was only watching, which was true.  How was she supposed to know who he was?   While she was secretly thinking to herself, she saw Hyuna playfully slap her boyfriend’s arm. 

            “I told you right!” Hyuna squealed to him.  “Sometimes Kwon Yuri, you don’t listen to me.  Jihyun unnie is like my dancing mentor.  Did you know in high school, she was even offered to join five entertainment companies at once?”

            Yuri arched his brow at Jihyun.  It was not shocking to hear that she received such offers.  What was shocking was how down-to-earth she was.  After all, she was an exceptional dancer.  She made her moves look so simple, despite its complexity.  Maybe it was how she created a poetic justice to it.   It could also be the way her purity was expressed.  As if her dances were not enough, she had beautiful features like her innocence, milky skin, and curvy S-line body.  She was pure art in the flesh. 

            Jihyun’s cheeks redden as she heard these complements, to which she covered , “Hyuna, I’m not that great.   You’re a great dancer and chef too.  I didn’t know you could cook this well, especially these takoyaki.  They’re so good.”

            Hyuna whined, “Don’t knock yourself down.  Besides I learned to make these because they’re Yuri’ favorite food.  I have to make sure my Yuri is happy,” she grasped her boyfriend’s hand.  He was shocked for a moment and slightly uncomfortable.  However the young woman did not notice, and turned to him, “Did I tell about Jihyun’s cooking?  She makes really good rice pizza.”

RING

            Hearing her phone, Hyuna ran to her bag to answer it.  While she was in her short conversation, Jihyun and Yuri looked at one another.  Through out the whole lunch, Yuri would stare at her.  There was intensity to him.  At times he would throw a few “looks” at her, suggesting something.  However Jihyun was the opposite.  She tried avoiding eye contact with him, by talking mainly to Hyuna.  Most of the time, her cheeks would pinken that it noticeable on her pale cheeks.  One would think that Hyuna would had pointed it out, but she did not.  She probably thought it was Jihyun being her usual self whenever she met people, incredibly shy and quiet. 

            Hyuna returned to the food area, sighing to herself, “I have to go meet my research group.  Apparently they can’t understand the directions I gave them for the project.  Sometimes I feel like I have to lead everyone.”

            Jihyun automatically started closing containers, “I’ll clean up for you Hyuna.  Just work on your project.”

            “Are you sure?  Don’t you have any classes?” Hyuna asked, as she was packing her bag.

            “Don’t worry,” Jihyun smiled.

            “Thank you thank you thank you!  You’re always the nicest one to count on” Hyuna hugged her best friend.  Then she turned to Yuri, who now started helping clean up.  She squatted back to the floor, where she gave him a long kiss.  Yuri seemed still, with little movement.  Jihyun could only stare.  Once they broke apart, Hyuna left the studio. 

            The innocent dancer returned to packing up the dishes, to which Yuri rushed to her side.  Seeing him next to her, she shot him a nervous glance.  There was not anger or annoyance, more like worry in her eyes.  How was she suppose to deal with him?

            “Let me clean this is up for you Bagel Girl,” Yuri took the dishes away from her.

            Jihyun crooked her head in confusion, “Why are you calling me a bagel?”

            He poked one of her chubby cheeks, “Well you have a baby face,” then his shifty eyes travelled up and down, “and glamorous body.”

            Blushing and embarrassed, Jihyun stepped away and grabbed the dishes away, “That’s nice you have a nickname for me, but you can go right now.”

            “No, I won’t go until all the dishes are packed.  You won’t make me leave,” Yuri smiled at her, picking up the rest of the items. 

-----

            After lunch with his friends, Sunny had a couple of hours to himself before his organic chemistry classes.  At first he was going to the library to sleep, but his heavy backpack reminded him of his day.  Despite being the first day of a new semester, he was already assigned a ton of homework.  It was not the ideal afternoon for him, but he decided to work on his homework at the library. 

            Since it was a short distance, Sunny made it within a few minutes away from the cafeteria.  However he was still exhausted.  Once he was in the library, he walked up the stairs to the third floor.  From there he passed by a few bookshelves and a couple of halls, where he found a small group of desks huddled in the corner of the room.  Seeing that his favorite desk booth from a distance, Sunny immediately made his way over there. 

            The closer he was to the desk; he heard soft giggles in the area.  It was strange, since not many people were in this area usually.  The normal crowd here consisted of heavy nappers and couples needing some private space.  Sunny ignored the sounds though and continued his walk, until he saw a small purse next to his desk.  Then he realized that the giggler was sitting in his spot.  He was not upset by this, but decided to take a peek at this cheery girl. 

            Slowly stretching his head up, he saw a familiar bed of hair.  Since he could not see enough, he tippy toed over the desk’s shelf and was able to capture a pair of large circular brown eyes.  They were familiar.  Then he noticed that the giggle had a low soft tone to it.  It was familiar to him.  Before he could figure it out, he noticed the giggler move to the side.

            “Oh I’m sorry.  Am I bothering you?  I could leave right now,” a young woman panicked.  She was trying to pack her things and grab a large textbook, but Sunny stopped her. 

            “It’s okay.  I shouldn’t be bothering you,” Sunny said, then it hit him, “Wait are you the girl from his morning?  Hyomin?”

            The woman gasped and nodded her head, “Yes.  Yes.”  She heard of Sunny’s reputation as one of the most popular guys at Seoul National.  Never did she expect him to be interacting with her.  After the incident this morning, she was embarrassed that she bumped into him.  What also shocked her was that, despite introducing herself earlier, she never him to remember her name too.  He really was the nice guy like everyone said.

            As Sunny was watching her, he noticed how beautiful her eyes were.  Especially when they were shocked like earlier, so animated.  It was really cute.  Even though he was not really checking her out, like how Taeyeon and Yuri would, he saw the large green textbook in her hands.  “You’re a biology major?”

            Hyomin jumped a bit and looked at her book, “No I’m an architect major.”

            “So you like to read about genetics for fun?”

            “No… but I like to look at science books to inspire my for my sketches,” she blushed.

            Sunny nodded his head in improvement, “That’s pretty cool.  I was wondering do you have any classes right now?”

            Hyomin shook her head.

            Sunny itched the back of his head sheepishly, “Want to grab some coffee?  Maybe I can help you find some of your classes for the week?”

            Hyomin quickly nodded her head. 

-----

            “That is it for today class.  Remember about the final project for this semester.  Even though it’s a few months away, please think about it,” Gyuri instructed her class.  “Thank you for your good behavior especially since this is my first day.  Have a good day everyone!”

            Once she said her words, everyone started to pack their stuff.  Many of girls quickly had their things ready, but instead of leaving the room, they rushed to the corner of the room.  There in the comfy armchair was Kim Taeyeon, who was still trying to shove all his papers and folders into his backpack.  Next to him, Jessica, Tiffany, and Hyoyeon all rolled their eyes.  They knew what was going to happen.  Especially when they saw some of the class’s best performers hovering over the dorky playboy.

            “Taeyeon, do you want to be my partner for the project?” Park Soyeon asked in her sweetest voice possible.  Then she winked, “We’ve always done well on projects together.”

            Before he could respond, more girls started to push each other.  They were all trying to grab his attention.  However Taeyeon straighten out his arms, commencing a silence.  Hyoyeon, Jessica, and Tiffany giggled at the control he had over the girls on campus.  Taeyeon shot them a glare, and then he continued, “I’m sorry ladies, I don’t know if I’ll actually choose a partner.  I might consider working solo.”

            Most of the girls gasped.  Normally Taeyeon always had a partner.  It did not matter if she had little talents or was one of the worst ones in class; she was typically a very attractive girl.  Besides everyone knew these girls’ fate.  Arm candy for Taeyeon, who would eventually lose their spots within a few days or weeks.  Sure he had his friends with benefits, but they were the closest he had to long-term relationships. 

            “Excuse me ladies, I need to ask Professor Park a question.” Taeyeon stood up with his backpack over his shoulder.

            “Do you want us to wait for you?” Hyoyeon asked.

            “It’s okay.  I’ll meet you guys later,” Taeyeon hugged his friends.  He waited at the back of the classroom, until all his classmates left.  Once it was him and Professor Park, he suavely walked to her desk.  There was a certain aura to him.  Swag with a dorky wannabe essence to it. 

            Gyuri was at her desk, where she was organizing her binders and papers.  She was about to put her cellphone inside her large red Balenciaga purse, but a swift hand suddenly grabbed it.  She looked up and saw Kim Taeyeon, who was toying around with her phone.  She rolled her eyes at him, while he smirked at her.

            “Hey Gyuri, I lost my phone number, can I have yours?” Taeyeon crooked his eyebrow at her.  He was trying to the crack her Blackberry’s password, but there was no use.

            Gyuri immediately snatched her phone away from him, “I don’t think so.  Taeyeon, please refer to me as Professor Park.”

            He leaned closer to her, “At least you told me your name.  If I recall, didn’t you say if it were fate for us to meet, you would tell me your name?  For awhile I thought your name was destiny.”

            She rolled her eyes at him, “I’m sorry Taeyeon, I need to attend a meeting in ten minutes.  If you have any questions, please stop by office hours.”

            With little time to spare, Gyuri brushed her shoulder against his and brisked out of the classroom.  As she left, Taeyeon slowly nodded his head with a smile.  Once he was gone, he whistled and wiped his forehead.

            “Trust me Gyuri, I will definitely visit you during office hours.”