Back From Vacation

Dealing with Life

 

Three Months Later           

           “That’s all we have left for class today.  Next time bring your books, we will have our first lecture on the history of psychology,” a young professor ended his class, “Have a great day back at Seoul National University.”

            Once the class ended, everyone packed up their items and started to get out of their seats.  In the second row of the classroom, eight chairs were preoccupied next to one another.  Everyone in those particular seats traded glances, where they all got up together once they put all their items back in their bags.  While they were trying to get out of the classroom, most of the boys in the group could not help, but to snicker at the scene at the front of classroom.

            “Thank you professor Ham for such a great lesson,” one girl in the same junior class blushed to the young teacher.

            “Don’t thank me.  Today was only a discussion about the semester and the syllabus,” Professor Ham Eunjung warmly responded. 

            Meanwhile Taeyeon nudged Sooyoung, “Can’t believe girls are already throwing themselves at him.  It’s only the first day.”

            Sooyoung tried to talk in between each bite, while eating his breakfast croissant sandwich.  However his words were incoherent, to which Tiffany gave a very biased translation, “He’s pretty hot.”

            Butting into the conversation, Jessica added her own two cents, “Besides Tae Tae, I wouldn’t say anything.  You are the one looking for that girl from Busan.  How is that going by the way?”

            This immediately shut Taeyeon up, as he crossed his arms and cutely pouted.  His friends laughed back at this, to which he smiled because they always joked around with him.  However he was somewhat hurt from the fact he still did not find the woman from that night.  Due to this, he immediately changed the subject, “Well since class is over, Yuri should be outside for lunch.  Besides some of us need to go to our next class together.”

-----

            “It’s only 11:45.  I have some time,” Yuri looked at his watch while he was walking around campus.  At that moment, he thought he would surprise his girlfriend, Hyuna, since she had class in the arts building.  Even though he was supposed to meet his friends in 15 minutes, he thought that they could wait.

BOOM BOOM

            Hearing this perked Yuri’s ears since he liked the beat to the song.  A part of him was starting to move to the rhythm, but he stopped himself before anyone could catch him.  He did not want to bring too much attention to himself because that meant girls crowding him.  It was not that he did not like it.  In fact, he loved the attention from the ladies.  It was that he was afraid of Hyuna’s reaction.  At times she could be the ultimate green-eyed monster.

            After listening to this unknown song, Yuri immediately liked this song.  However because he did not know the name, he decided that he had to find out.  Whoever listened to this song, must have good taste in music.  Trying to find the source of the sound, Yuri mindlessly followed with his careful ear.  One hall, a corner, and two doors later; he found the old door with the windowpane on it.  Curiosity got to Yuri as he looked inside the room through the window.

            Inside the large room covered with windows and floored with wood, there was a tiny young woman dancing a mix of ballet and contemporary.  Each move was soft and graceful from the way she leaped across the room.  The way her foot pointed to the ground and slid to each side was faint, but distinct.  The sun’s rays brighten the room, highlighting her body and moves.  There an interesting beauty to her.  She had a tiny frame to her, but Yuri could not help but to glance at her top region.  It brought out a womanly side to her, in comparison to her youthful face.  Perhaps it was her eye smile and puffy cheeks that made her seem more innocent and younger than a normal college student.

            Mesmerized by this dance, Yuri quietly opened the door and stepped inside the studio.  The dancer did not seem to notice him as she continued her moves.  This routine was complicated with the turns and acrobats involved.  At one point, she even grabbed her leg and straightened it, so that she did a standing split.  For her finale, she appeared to do a never ending spin that resulted in a dramatic fall to the ground.   Once the piece was over, Yuri smiled and applauded her.

            Realizing that someone else was in the room with her, the dancer immediately stood up and panicked.  She rapidly delivered a couple of bows, and tried to pack her things.  However Yuri was not going to let her go.

            “Don’t leave,” Yuri called out to her.  “You are really good.”

            “I’m sorry.  I’ll get going,” the woman continued to grab her things.  She tried to make her way out of the room, but Yuri stood in front of the door.

            “I should apologize, I shouldn’t had entered the room without asking.  What I said earlier was the truth, you are a great dancer,” Yuri smiled at her.

            The innocent dancer blushed at this, “Thank you.”

            Giving one of his suave grins, Yuri showed her his hand, “I’m Kwon Yuri.  A junior here.  You?”

            At first the dancer glanced at him, then at his hand.  She shook it in return, “Nam Jihyun.  I’m a transfer junior student.”

            Hearing that she was a transfer, this caught Yuri’s attention knowing a tactic he could use with her, “Hey Jihyun, do you think maybe you could me a few dance moves?  In return, I’ll give you a VIP star treatment tour of the school.  It’s not much-”

            “Let’s start right now,” Jihyun put her stuff down and walked to the stereo system.

-----

            “Aish where is that Kwon Yuri.  He’s already fifteen minutes late and Sooyoung has now started on his second sandwich,” Jessica grumbled as her and her friends waited outside their psychology room since class ended. 

            Tiffany pressed the end call button on her phone, “I just left him another voicemail.”

            Another voice joined in the conversation, “Well he might be with Hyuna.  I know I would want to see my girlfriend as soon as possible.”

            Hara gave his girlfriend a tight back hug, where he rested his head on her shoulder.  Jessica responded with some giggles as she his arm.  Everyone was secretly happy to watch this cute couple since it was rare to a see a publically warm Jessica.  Usually she maintained this icy image because it what fitted her image as an heiress to a conglomerate company.  Many saw her as a scary creature at times, but really she was caring, but snippy. 

            For some reason, the crowd of friends stated to walk without notice.  As they were strolling and talking about their afternoon schedule, they did not really notice the sea of people that split in the middle.  Over the past few years, they adjusted to this type of attention.  People always seem to do these type of things for them, even though they did not want it.  However they did not say anything because most of the times, their peers did not listen to them.

BANG

            Someone suddenly crashed into Sunny.  Books and papers flew in the air, eventually making their way on to the floor.  One of them luckily landed on Sunny’s foor.  Feeling a sharp pain, he bit his lip and looked at the ground.  Lying there was a pretty young woman, who he never saw on campus before.  She had long skinny legs and long medium brunette hair with blonde highlights to them.  There was this doll like beauty to her.  She was interesting for some reason.

           Even though Sunny was sore, he jumped into his pre-med student mode and went straight to Hyomin’s side.  Despite having little skills, he tried his best to check up on her, to which many of girls crowding him swooned to.  Sunny was the type of guy most girls wanted, cute, smart, and caring.  They were especially jealous of this unconscious girl on the ground.  This scene carried on for a couple of minutes, until the woman’s eyes fluttered.

           “Where am I?” the woman squeaked as she tried to get up.

           Being the gentleman he was, Sunny helped the woman, “We crashed into-”

           She immediately remembered the scene from earlier, “I’m really sorry.  I didn’t mean to hurt you-”

           Sunny gave her one of his famous bright smiles, “Don’t worry about it.  Are you okay though?  Do we need the nurse?”

           “I’m fine.  I’m Park Sunyoung, but call me Hyomin,” she smiled back shaking his hand.

           At first he was caught off guard by her action, but he warmly responded, “Lee Soonkyu, but call me Sunny.  Are you new here?”

           Hyomin nodded her head, “I just transferred.  I’m a junior.”

           “Really me too.”

-----

One Hour Later

“Let’s try that move one more time,” Jihyun said as she was picking a new song to dance to.

“Okay then.  Let me take your hand, and we can start,” Yuri took a gulp of water, and then he walked towards her.

Once they were both in the center of the room, Yuri grabbed Jihyun’s hand, to which she still flinched too.  Then he placed his other hand on her waist, while she rested her other hand on his arm.  Both started to dance closely to one another, as they made their way across the dance floor.  Even though they made tiny errors here and there, they giggled to each other’s mistakes and continued on.  After what seemed too short, the song ended.

Yuri smiled as he released his hold on Jihyun, “I really enjoyed this.  Maybe I could have your number so we-”

BAM

            Standing at the door was Hyuna.  For a moment, Yuri was scared, hoping that she did not see or hear anything.  However there was a smile on her face.  She had her arms wide open.

            “Unnie!”

            The two women ran to one another, where they gave a big hug.  They kept hold for a few seconds, until they let go of one another.  Jihyun looked up and down, amazed to see her younger friend, “It’s been so long since I’ve seen you.  You’ve grown up my little baby.  Hyuna, there’s someone I want you to-”

            “Oh you met Yuri oppa!” Hyuna jumped, as she pulled on Jihyun’s arm to where Yuri was.

            “Jihyun, this is my boyfriend, Yuri.  Yuri, remember I told you my friend was going here now?” Hyuna squealed.

            Yuri and Jihyun looked at one another with their jaws dropped.

-----

            “Finally my favorite class of the day,” Taeyeon said to himself as he entered the familiar music room.  Seeing his favorite arm chair in the corner, he plopped himself there.  There he rubbed his belly and waited for his friends to catch up, “Even better after a great lunch too.”

            Suddenly he saw Hyoyeon run into the room, without even breaking a sweat.  It was not surprising though, considering how athletic he was from all that dancing.  Within in a couple of seconds, Hyoyeon was next to Taeyeon.  He looked like he had something on the tip of his tongue.

            “You didn’t hear?”

            “Hear what?”

            “Professor Ahn isn’t teaching this course anymore.”

            This caught Taeyeon’s ears, “Who is then?”

            “I don’t know dude.”

            Jessica shrugged her shoulders as she and Tiffany sat next to them, “Probably someone old.  Besides most of these advanced music professor tend to be over sixty for some reasons.”

            Taeyeon chuckled, “True.  I wished we had somebody young though.”

            “Like professor Ham?” Tiffany swooned, to which her friends laughed.

            “Don’t tell me you joined his fan club too,” Hyoyeon , which earned him a punch on the arm.

Click

Click

            Taeyeon thought it sounded familiar.

            “Class.  Let us start.”

            That voice was all too familiar. That high tone, but unique voice.  Taeyeon turned his head, hoping to deny his worst nightmares.  However the moment his eyes landed to the front of the room, it was all confirmed.  There was the Lady from Busan.  His search was over.  Instead of a tight red dress, she wore a black pencil skirt and white collared blouse accompanied with black Gucci shoes.  Her hair was not wavy anymore.  It was long and straightened, which Taeyeon did not mind.  She was still gorgeous and irresistible. 

            With that killer smile of hers, she introduced herself to the class “Good afternoon.  I am your professor Park Gyuri.”