A Summer Night in Busan

Dealing with Life

 

            “Yuri oppa are we there yet?” a whiny voice dragged.

            “Not yet Hyuna,” a tall tanned Korean man replied back to his girlfriend.

            “Oppa my feet hurt,” the same voice whined.

            Most of the people in the group sighed as they heard the conversation between Yuri and Hyuna.  This was their third day in Busan for their summer vacation, and they could not handle the whines from her.  They wondered why their best friend Yuri got back together with the younger girl, especially when he was a player.  Then again, it was difficult to understand him at times.

            “Maybe you shouldn’t had worn those shoes,” the icy Jessica Jung retorted, to which her best friend, Tiffany Hwang, and boyfriend, Goo Hara, nudged her. 

            “Ow what was that for,” Jessica hissed, “I was only stating the truth.”

            “It’s okay Hyuna.  I’ll carry you,” the blonde man, Sunny, said as he lifted Hyuna off her feet in bridal style.  Even though she had a boyfriend, it did not matter because Yuri did care and Sunny was his best friend.

            The benefits of friendship.  Since they were kids; Kim Taeyeon, Kwon Yuri, Kwon Yoona, Lee Sunny, Kim Hyoyeon, Choi Sooyoung, Tiffany Hwang, Jessica Jung, and Seo Joohyun were the best of friends.  They did not all immediately met at once, but they meshed into a close-knit circle, called by their peers as Soshi.  No one knew why, the name just stuck.  All of them went to the same middle school, high school, and the same college now, Seoul National University.  Despite being together for such a long time, they did not grow weary of one another because there was a diverse set of unique personalities and backgrounds.  They had the serious ones, the silly ones, the smart ones, and much more in that circle; but what they all had in common was being one of the most popular likeable people. 

            Taking a break from the college life, the nine of them decided to go to Busan for two weeks along with a few invited people.  Jessica brought her soccer playing boyfriend, Goo Hara.  Yuri had Hyuna tag along with him, who he just got back together with two weeks ago, again.   It was also not unexpected to have Nicole on the trip, since she was Hyoyeon’s steady girlfriend for the past three years.  The entire gang liked her and even thought of her as one of them.  Especially for Seo Joohyun, or Seohyun, who was extremely shy.   On the other hand, the others did not bring anyone since they were not dating exclusively. 

            “This is it!” Yuri opened his arms out to the modern looking nightclub with neon lights flashing out the door.  After what seemed like a long walk from the other bar they were just at, they were finally at Villa Lounge.  Apparently this was supposed to be one of the hottest nightclubs in Busan, where the hot young crowd hung out.  In a place like this anything could happen.

            “Ladies.  Tonight is the men’s treat,” the charming Taeyeon announced at they walked in line. 

            “Tae.  You don’t need to win us over like most women,” Tiffany joked.

            “Last time I checked, we are friends,” the usually quiet Seohyun joined in.

            “Well it’s not my fault I want to treat you beautiful ladies tonight.  Especially the way that dress-” Taeyeon wiggled his eyesbrows, until he was slapped on the shoulder by Jessica.

            “Ow what was that for?” Taeyeon rubbed his shoulder.

            “That was for being a byuntae Taetae,” Jessica retorted. Then she jokingly cradled Seohyun in her arms, “You can’t corrupt our innocent maknae like that.”

            “I guess so.  I wouldn’t want to see boys looking at our baby like that,” Taeyeon said as he ruffled his maknae’s hair.  To this she pouted at him.

            Before he could say anything back, a black limo pulled up to the front of the club.  The windows were dark, so one could not see the passengers.  Everyone looked at the car in curiosity, wondering who this individual could be.  Then the door opened.  Two men stepped out.  One was kind of short with a Hamtaro like face.  The other was a tall young boy.  At first no one cared.  Then a slightly tanned leg stole their attention. 

            Being the byuntae he was, Taeyeon could not help but to stare.  It was so well-shaped.  Not too long.  Not too short.  This girl was probably the perfect height for his average stature. 

            Then a hand placed itself on the tall young man’s hand.  It was perfectly manicured with long nails and clear polishing.  Those hands were so soft looking.  The way it placed itself was so smooth.  Like as though someone was playing a fine instrument. 

            The man helped the woman out of the car, allowing her to reveal herself.  Taeyeon’s jaw dropped from her sight.  Words were not enough to explain the beauty and grace she shone.  Her straight light brown hair rested on one shoulder, but it did not cover her face.  Those cat like eyes gave a sense of mystery and appeal.  The light reflected her glossy cupid lips.  It did not seem possible that someone could be so beautiful, just to top it off she had the perfect body.  Wearing a short red dress, it showed her lush curves.  Taeyeon his lips at the sight.  She had a perfect hourglass body with a small waist.  Her dress complemented her assets.  The way it cut in the valley of her chest.  While he was staring, the beauty’s eyes made contact with his.

She smirked at him.

Taeyeon wanted her. 

            Instead of joining the rest in line, the woman and her two friends walked to the front.  She was not kicked to back.  The bouncer let her in, to which she grinned and generously tipped him.  Everyone watched the scene. 

            “How she didn’t have to wait?” Hyuna complained.  “We’ve been waiting here forever… Yuri! Why are you still staring?”

            The tan boy snapped out of his trance, “I’m not even doing anything.  The one you should be scolding is that byuntae here.  He looks like a total horndog.”

            It was true.  Still standing there was Kim Taeyeon.  His eyes were googily.  He continued his lips like the big bad wolf.  He had to get her tonight. 

-----

            “Yay” Hyuna cheered to herself as she read the text message on her phone.  It was one of the few times tonight that she was not whining, so the gang enjoyed this moment.

            Yuri hugged her from behind as he looked at her phone, “What’s up?”

            “My unni is going to Seoul National after summer break!” the happy girl squealed again.

            “Who is it?”

            “You know my favorite unni, Jihyun.  The one that got me into dancing.  She’s the best dancer I know and flexible too.”

            Taeyeon could not help but to snicker, “Hehehe flexible you said?”

            “Yah don’t talk about her like that.  She’s shy and innocent too.  Like Seohyun in someways,” Hyuna scolded him.

            “If that’s what you say then…” Tiffany said as she scrolled down her phone screen, reading her Facebook newsfeed.  Then something caught her eye, “Omo!  Did you guys see this?”

            “See what Fany?”

            “Hwayoung is single now!” the American girl announced.

            “You mean as in rapping Hwayoung?  I didn’t even know he was dating,” Sunny was confused.  Even though some of gang was friends with him, he was quiet at times.

            “You didn’t?  He was with some older girl from his hometown,” Jessica informed the gang, while in staring moment with Hara.  They were usually lovey-dovey like this, despite her cold public personality.

            “Wow Hwa’s got game,” Yuri commented to himself as he was looking at the ex’s picture on Facebook from his phone.  However, his girlfriend heard him, so he turned off his phone before anyone could hear. 

            While everyone was chatting, Taeyeon sat to the side in the VIP booth.  His eyes scanned the club looking for this beauty.  She was not on the dance floor.  Nor was she was she at the bar.  Then he looked at the other VIPS booths across from him on the open second floor.  Across from him to his right was his target.  She was with the same two men and another group of people.  They looked like typical rich kids that liked to brag about their wealth with obnoxious taste of clothing and cocky essence.  Even though she was with them, she seemed disinterested.  Her eyes roamed around the area.  They made contact with Taeyeon’s.

            Once again she smirked at him.  Taeyeon smiled and crooked his head, inviting her to his booth.  She lipped no to him.  To this, he pouted with some aegyo.  She smiled.  Then she motioned him to the bar below.  She walked out of her booth.

            Seeing this, Taeyeon became hyper and had a cheesier grin on his face.  Too psyched out to meet his quest, he made a ridiculous excuse that he did not even remember.  At first his friends were confused, but they figured it was another girl.  Probably the one from earlier, that is if he was lucky.

            After speeding down the stairs and pushing the crowd out his way, Taeyeon ran to the bar.  He had to make it on time before somebody could catch her.  This could not happen.  She was his.  No matter what.

            Finally he made it to his destination, where he stopped a few feet away.  He straighten out his outfit and fixed his hair.  Then he straighten his posture and smoothly walked towards the gorgeous woman. She stood there, shining like a star.

            Taeyeon cleared his throat, as he leaned against the bar.  Then he suavely crooked his head and asked, “Why do I feel like the most beautiful girl is in this room?”

            The woman rolled her eyes, “That is because I am here.  I prefer gorgeous though.”

            “Oh that’s your name.  The only thing your eyes haven’t told me is your name.”

            “Are you going to continue with these cheesy pick up lines,” the woman snarked with one brow up.

            “Oh okay,” Taeyeon was dejected.  Usually these pickup lines worked, but for some reasons she was resistant.  She was different, but he would not give up.  “Let us start over.  I’m Kim Taeyeon.  May I buy you a drink?”

            “That would be appreciated,” the beautiful woman gave a slight smile.

-----

            One martini and an hour of dancing, Taeyeon and this woman sat in a booth to the side talking to one another.  They were having a bright conversation, to which the woman laughed a few times.  

            “You don’t remember me yet?” Taeyeon grinned.

            “No,” the woman blushed.

            “I do though.  In my dreams.”  

            She giggled at this, “Seriously how many of these lines do you have?”

            “Enough to last for a lifetime, but first thing I would like to know is your-”

RING

            It was her phone.  She immediately answered it.  During the conversation, she nodded her head and agreed to somethimg.  Once it ended, she stood up from her seat.

            “Where are you going?” Taeyeon was caught off.

            “I need to go now,” the woman was trying to leave.

            “Noona won’t you at least give me your name?”  After all he knew was that she was older than him and was a musician.

            The woman once again gave that infamous seductive smile, “I would, but I believe in destiny.  If we’re meant to know each other, we’ll see each other again.  So if there ever is a next time,” she leaned into his ear, “I’ll give you my name.”

            Before she left, her hand raked down Taeyeon’s chest.  He could not help, but to shiver.

            Seeing this, the beauty chuckled to herself and turned away.

            “What if I want to see you right now?”

            The woman yelled back as she was slipping away, “Patience is a virtue.”