The Beginning.

Locked To You

 

Jessica’s POV

“At birth, the transition from a fetal to a neonatal pattern of blood circulation involves the closure of three circulatory shunts – the ductus venosus, ductus arteriosus and foramen ovale...”

The lecturer’s monotone voice went on and on as the 110 medical students drifted off for a nap. October 24th. It’s Krystal’s birthday today and I’m stuck in this anatomy’s lecture. As I let out a yawn, the person next to me elbowed me to grab my attention.

Yah! The guy sitting in the 2nd row is so cute!” Taeyeon squealed.

“What even. The taller guy next to him is better looking!” Yuri chipped in.

Taeyeonnie, I thought you said I was cute” Tiffany pouted

I rolled my eyes and stared at my friends, “I’m trying to sleep here you know”

The person sitting behind me knocked on my head, “Jung Jessica! You’re supposed to pay attention”

I turned around and gave Yoona a glare, who in return poked her tongue at me.

Excuse me girls. But if you want to continue gossiping, please do it outside” The lecturer warned us as the other students giggled at us.

 

- 2 hours later-

It is finally lunchtime and students were all making their ways to find a table in the cafeteria. Taeyeon, Yuri and Tiffany continued their talk about the guys in the anatomy lecture. Seohyun and her boyfriend, Yonghwa, are playing with her new guitar. Sunny and Hyoyeon are still in class whilst Yoona and Sooyoung are stuffing their face with food. I took out my phone and sent a quick message to Krystal,

“My beautiful baby sister <3, I’ll pick you up afterschool and we can visit mom and dad then celebrate your sweet 16th at your favourite place. Love you ~ ^__^”

Sica, what are you doing after uni?” Sooyoung asked me.

I gave her a disgusted look and wiped the food off , “Today’s Soojungie’s birthday so I’m taking her out”

Ooh, where are you going?” Yoona joined us.

I’m thinking of Lotte World”

“Can I come ----“

Sooyoung was interrupted when five guys came to the table.

Is it okay if we join you girls? We can’t seem to find any other tables” the tallest guy spoke while maintaining his eye contact with Yuri.

Sure” Yuri replied, flashing them her pearly teeths

As the strangers were settling down in their seats, someone tapped me on the shoulder. As I turned around, the shortest guy of the five strangers greeted me,

Can I have that seat or is that reserved for your Louis Vuitton bag?”

I scoffed at his lame joke and removed my bag.

Thanks. I’m Jonghyun” He said and extended his hand towards me

Jessica” I replied

 

Third Person’s POV

After a quick round of introduction, everyone seems to be getting along fine. Apart from Jessica. Who kept to herself and would only reply if someone directly asked her a question.

So are you all studying medicine as well?” Onew asked.

Everyone on the table nodded except Yonghwa.

No, I’m majoring in pharmacology” He outlined, “I’m only here for my girlfriend” and winked at Seohyun – who fed him a piece of sweet potato in return.

Jessica glanced down at her watch, “I have a lab to go to. See you tomorrow” Jessica announced.

Wait!” Onew yelled after her, “Do you have your anatomy lab now?”

Jessica gave him a confused look and nodded

We’re in the same class” Onew flashed her a smile and stuffed the rest of his chicken sandwich in his mouth

Let’s go together” He muffled. As he ran towards her, he tripped on the leg of Minho’s chair – causing his friends to laugh. But what caught his attention was the ringing of Jessica’s high-pitched, angelic laugh. Ever since he sat with her friends, Jessica did not smile and looked rather scary. But the image of her smiling made her look humane … and made his heart beat faster…

As the pair walked to their laboratory in awkward silence, Onew’s palms were starting to become sweaty. Jessica was deep in thought and Onew couldn’t think of any topic to break the tension. Before he knew it, they were both sitting next to each other, waiting for their lab demonstrator’s instructions.

Onew and Jessica were paired for their heart dissection. As Onew was still unfamiliar with the anatomy of the heart, Jessica did most of the work. The silence between them was making Onew uncomfortable, so he decided to tell her jokes.

Hey Jessica, what’s the difference between a cardiologist and God?”

“What?”  Jessica replied as she tried her best not to cut through into the right ventricle.

The cardiologist says he is God but God didn’t say he is a cardiologist”

Jessica looked up at him, unamused, and gave him a questioning look. Embarrassed by his lame jokes, he scratched the back of his head and tried to think of new jokes.

A patient asked his doctor “What are the possibility of success of undergoing a bypass surgery?”

The doctor replied “100%”. The patient gave him a questioning look, “How are you so sure?”

The doctor replied: “Because I was told that a bypass surgery is 99% failure and 1% success. I’ve already failed on 99 patients, you’re my 100th

Onew was feeling nervous as he observed Jessica’s reaction. After a full three minutes, Jessica’s ceased brows relaxed as she burst into laughter. Onew cracked a smile and the two got along with another throughout the rest of the lab class

Cute” Jessica thought to herself as she listened to Onew’s reasons as to why chicken is good for your health.

 

-Three hours later-

Jessica and Krystal were both standing infront of their parents’ graves.

Mom…Dad… It’s our Soojungie’s birthday today… She’s grown so much since the last time you’ve seen her… I miss you” Jessica whispered as the tear drops begin trickling from her eyes.

Krystal stood silent beside her sister and sniffled as she tried to hold back her own tears.

I love you mommy & daddy… if only you were to celebrate with me” Krystal said and turned to Jessica for comfort.

Jessica patted her younger sister’s back as they both wept.

My beautiful Soojungie, don’t cry. Mom and Dad won’t be happy to see you like this. C’mon unni will take you to Lotte World and celebrate your birthday”