Consequences

I'll Be Your Gold

It’s already morning in Daejeon when Jongin and Soojung stops at the rest area to have a breakfast. There’s nothing much to eat since most of the restaurant are still close, but they still manage to get some bread and sandwich. They also buy themselves snacks, breads and drinks for the rest of their journey.

They talk while they’re having their breakfast. Talking about small things, throwing jokes here and there. Laugh and smile appear on their faces, except the sadness and worry that they’re trying to hide.

Jongin knows Soojung better than anyone else, perhaps better than herself. He knows that behind her beautiful smile and sweet laugh, she hides the tears that ready to fall. He knows that she has a lot of things in her mind, she wants to ask him many question. But he knows, being the most understanding girlfriend, Soojung decides to not tell anything to him.

He knows she doesn’t want to burden him much more.

And so does Soojung.

She knows Jongin better than anyone else, perhaps better than himself. She knows that behind that gentle smile and laugh, he hides a big concern for their life. She knows that he carries big responsibility now and there’s a lot of thing he wants to share to her. but she knows, being the most loving boyfriend, Jongin decide to stay silent.

She knows he doesn’t want to make her heart heavy.

For both of them know, this journey is their decision together. A big decision for their dear future life together. And for every decision, there will always be consequences.

Maybe this burden and heavy heart is just a few of the consequences.

 

***

5 years ago

 

Jongin and Soojung met the first time on the first day of orientation for freshmen in the university. Both of them are the same batch and struggling with a lot of tasks and projects from their seniors. Jongin and Soojung rarely meet but they both know each other.

Jongin knows that she is the new favorite girl from the Department of Architecture Engineering. Favorite because she’s known for her intelligent and exceptional beauty. Jongin admit the last part. He never met someone as beauty as she is.

Soojung also knows that he is the new flower boy from the Department of Business Administration. Flower boy for his sharp and beautiful eyes that match well with his handsome face. He’s also known for his exceptional intelligent.

Both of them know that fact yet they never spoke to each other.

Not until when they accidentally bumped into each other at the library. Cliché as it seems but that small encounter marked their next encounters in the future. They become friends ever since.

They used to meet at the library, just silent as they both engrossed in their own books and assignments. But only with that action they got to know each other a lot more.

Jongin is a serious student and took his study very seriously. He is a very smart student, a straight A student since elementary. That’s why he got the scholarship to enter this university, something really remarkable considering that this university is one of the best in South Korea.

Soojung is also a very serious student. She was known to be the smart and intelligent student since elementary. She’s also known for her smart design and talent in designing building. It doesn’t take long for her to become the most favorite student among her professor. Who wouldn’t love her? A rich, humble, smart, and beautiful student like her is rarely to find nowadays.

They used to end their encounter at the library with a small talk at the coffee shop near their campus. Small talk that evolve into long talk. At first they only spend one-hour au maximum in that coffee shop, but as time goes by, they spend hours there. Talking substantive-serious matters, throwing jokes, until sharing information regarding their personal life.

Jongin then knows that Soojung is a daughter of a CEO from Korea’s top shipping company. Her mother passed away when she was in high school because of cancer; leave the bond of father-daughter become tighter then ever. He knows that behind her serious appearance; lies a naïve girl who thinks that the world is like a rainbow. She’s just liked a child with a cute smile and pout. She’s always kind toward all people, she never differentiate people and befriend with all of them.

Jongin’s respect grew higher for he knows that although she comes from a wealthy family, she never acted snob. Instead, she never refused to go anywhere using public transportation, she never mind wearing non-branded fashion item, and she never hesitates to donate her money to those who needed. She never uses her family’s wealth for to get what she wanted. That’s why she always works hard, study hard to prove that she can be a great person without her family money. To prove that she can be successful because she really deserves it.

Soojung also knows that Jongin condition is 180 degrees from her. He comes from low-middle family. His family died when he was 6 years old, left him to leave with his grandparents. His grandpa died not long after her parent’s 3 years death anniversary. He lived with his grandmother who teach him manner towards other people and good value in life until she died when he was 17. He lived all alone ever since. But being an independent boy, Jongin decided to support his own life by working hard and still juggling with his study. After all he’s been doing that since junior high, working part time to help his grandmother whom he love the most to support their live. But thanks to his amazing brain, he never got the difficulties in school despite he rarely got time to study. He still managed to be the top 3 in his school and got the scholarship for his university. Something he really tried hard to achieve because he wanted to change his life. Something that gain high respect from Soojung

Soojung then knows that behind his serious appearance at university; lies a cute boy with a mischievous smile who like to prank people around him. He’s a humble boy who’s willing to help his friend whenever there’s difficulty in their study. He’s just a normal boy who likes to play football and basketball. He has a lot of friends, popular since elementary thanks to his handsome face combine with his smart brain and excellent manner. No wonder many people adore him; his teachers, professors, male and female friends. Including Soojung.

Never once both of them ever thought of them becoming a couple although their friends teased them continuously about how perfect they were if they became a couple. They never thought that they would grow feeling toward each other.

Not until time separate them rudely. They became busy with their study that they rarely meet each other. Let alone the talk at the coffee shop for they never met each other again at the library. Their schedule simply didn’t match.

That’s when they realized that they missed each other. They missed each other’s presence; talking about their daily live, throwing jokes, laugh together. They missed everything they’ve done together. They still texted each other though, but it never enough to satisfied their need to meet each other.

That’s when they realized that they’re in love. But both are too afraid to confess for both are too afraid of rejection.

Until he met her one day on the street. Troubled because some boys bother her and not letting her go, non-stop. Annoyance could be seen clearly on her face. That boys then did something overboard, gripped her wrist in an attempt to drag her somewhere. Jongin then appear for he couldn’t stand to saw the girl he love being harassed.

They ask him who he is and Jongin’s answer left them speechless. He pronounces them that he’s her boyfriend. Soojung’s jaw dropped once she heard him said that. Her heart were about to explode. Fortunately, all that bad boys left her after his ‘confession’, left both of them in awkward silent.

They looked at each other, said simple hello and silent again. Until Jongin break the silent. “Errrmm I’m sorry for what I said earlier.”

“Eh? Which one Jongin?” she actually knew the answer but she wanted to play stubborn.

“For calling myself your boyfriend…..”

Soojung almost laugh when she saw a shade of red appeared at his cheeks.

“Well, actually I kind of like it…. you.. calling yourself my boyfriend. I like it.” Soojung said that. Her cheeks turned as red as tomato and she could felt it got warmer.

“What do you mean Soojung-ah?”

“Just like I said. I like you calling yourself my boyfriend. i…. like you Kim Jongin. I –“

She never finished what she wanted to say because the next thing she knew is that Jongin’s soft lip landed on hers. She closed her eyes; smiled as warmth filled her heart for she knew that both feelings are reciprocated. They kissed for a while; not caring about the stare people gave to them.

Nothing’s more important than their feelings. Nothing’s more important than them selves now. Together, in each other embrace, lips-locked.

They stopped the kiss when they realized they needed to catch a breath. Their face still close to each other, eyes-locked. That’s when Jongin finally said the words. The words that marked their long and beautiful journey as one.

“I love you Jung Soojung. Would you be my girl? My only girl?”

Jung Soojung just nooded, smile as she closed the gap between them with another kiss.