It's a Cruel World

I'll Be Your Gold

“What are you thinking Soojung-ah?”

Jongin said that while her hands. They’re on their way again, to a place nobody but Jongin and God know where. Throughout their journey, Soojung mostly silent, daydream, gazing through the window.

“Eh? Nothing oppa. I’m just looking at the scenery. This is my first time having a road trip you know.”

“I know that baby, but don’t lie. I know you’re thinking about something. Now spill it babe”

Soojung stay silent; in doubt whether to tell him or not.

“You can tell me anything babe, don’t worry.”

Sighing, Soojung decides that there’s nothing to hide from him. After all, they’ll spend their life together from now on.

“Nothing oppa, I’m just thinking about everything… About my dad. Does he find out about me missing from home and run with you? If he does, then what is he doing now? Calling his man to catch us and drag me back home and separate us again? What if that happens? What if he find our whereabouts and separate us again? To be very honest oppa… I miss my dad. I miss him a lot as I love him so much. But I love you to…”

A single tear runs down her cheeks. Jongin tighten his grip in her hand, signaling her to continue.

“I don’t understand why this thing should happen to us? What have we done wrong oppa? Why my dad can’t believe me, believe us? Why can’t he believe me when I said that you are a good man for me, when I said that I couldn’t be with anyone else but you? Why does he have to hate you when all you do is prove him that you’re good to me? Why oppa, why?”

Jongin’s just quiet. He’s been thinking the same question for countless time and he found no answer could satisfy him.

“Baby… If you ask me why this thing happen to us? I can’t give you the answer, as I also don’t know the answer. But if you ask me what have we done wrong, than the answer is none. We did nothing wrong. All we do is just loving each other, treasure each other, protect, and cherish each other. There’s nothing wrong with that, right? I, myself, also don’t understand why your father hates me so much. Maybe because I’m coming from a poor family background? I don’t know baby. But now let’s prove to your father that we’ll survive, we’ll live happily together and I’ll prove him that his insecurity is baseless. I’ll protect you, cherish you, make you happy. I’ll always be responsible for you. I said that before right?”

“And if one day his man or himself come and separate us, go ahead. I’m not afraid because we’re inseparable. I’ll find a way for both of us to be together again. Don’t worry about that baby.”

Jongin finish his explanation with a kiss on Soojung’s hand.

“Now I’m asking you Soojung-ah. Do you regret doing this, runaway with me? Do you regret it? Do you want to go back? Because if you want to go back, we’ll go back. I don’t want us to do something you don’t want to do.”

Soojung just shake her head while muttered a simple, “no…”

Jongin smiles tenderly at her. “Thank you baby, thank you…”

“We both know that it’s a cruel world baby. The world doesn’t always work the we want it to do. We couldn’t get anything we want to get, sometimes we have to work extra hard, walk extra miles to get what we want, what we fighting for, like this relationship. But please baby, don’t stress and don’t cry. Just take my hand and trust me, and I’ll always be here for you, responsible for you. Okay, baby?”

Soojung finally manage to smile and nods her head. A part of her heart becomes lighter after hearing all the explanation. She’s silently thankful to be able to be with this great man by the name of Kim Jongin.

 

Without they realize, they arrive at Yongchon station after 2 more hours of driving. Jongin stops and park his car. They come out of the car with their belonging and Jongin captures the confusion in Soojung’s face.

“Oppa, what are we doing here? Are we going somewhere by train… where will we go oppa?”

“Secret baby. We’ll go somewhere safe for us. Somewhere where no one will find us. Trust me baby, I won’t take you to somewhere dangerous.”

Quiet. Soojung gazes at the entrance of the station.

“Shall we go now?”

Jongin takes her hand and smiles at her. An assurance smile to assure a weary heart of the one he love the most.

Soojung reply her smile with her most beautiful smile and nods.

“We shall oppa. Now let’s go.”

 

***

2 years ago

 

Keeping the relationship stable and blossom was not always easy for Soojung and Jongin. They used to fight over their fans. Jongin has a lot of fangirls since the first day of his university and so does Soojung. Well it’s completely understandable since both of them are know for being an intelligent student, humble and of course beautiful features. When both of them start their relationship, people looked at them in an envy stare for how come a god and goddess of the university being together.

But the fangirls and fanboy didn’t stop until that. They both still received a lot of love letter and being a humble and polite student, they always treat other nicely. They tried to put aside bad thought and think positively at first. But as time goes by, sometimes they couldn’t handle the jealousy whenever they found one of them acted too nicely toward other. They fought over it, argued a lot for in the end they find the solution for this problem.

Just like any other couple, they fought over another small and big matters but they always managed to solve their problem and back at one.

Perhaps that’s what people called love. No matter how much of a hardship and thunderstorm coming their way, they will always come back as one.

Until one big thunderstorm shatter their heart, disrupt their equilibrium and disarray their harmonization. One big thunderstorm by the name of Jung Jaewon, Soojung’s father.

 

Jung Jaewon is a very protective father for her daughter. After his wife died several years ago, he made an oath to always protect his only daughter and made sure that his daughter can get the best facilities to support her life and so she can live happily.

He’s being protective including toward his daughter’s boyfriend. That’s why until 18 years of live Soojung never have a boyfriend.

Until she met Jongin.

Jaewon know from the beginning that her daughter was being close with a man because he saw her face brighter every time she went home. But he never put more attention as he always thought that he is just her friend.

Until one day Jaewon came to her daughter’s room. He found it empty but he found something more interesting above her table, her diary. Out of curiosity, he opened it. he knew it was wrong, but he want to know what’s on her daughter’s life since they rarely meet each other due to their busy schedule. That’s when he knew that the man he used to think was her friend apparently his boyfriend for almost 3 years.

He then asked his assistant to give him full information about Kim Jongin. He found out all about Kim Jongin the next day and what he has found made him rage in anger.

That night he called her daughter.

“Tell Soojung, who is Kim Jongin.”

Soojung startled. She never thought that her father finally know about Jongin. She’s not ready yet to explain to him because she know so well her father and she has the doubt to talk about it further.

“Just tell Appa, Soojung. Appa won’t angry.” Her father gave a smile to assure her.

Soojung finally tell him anything about Kim Jongin. She knew that it’s useless to hide this relationship from his father since he already knew him anyway. She thought that her father might approve their relationship.

“Thank you Soojung for telling Appa about your relationship. Appa really appreciate it.”

Jaewon take a deep breath before continue which made Soojung held her breath. Worry about what will his father tell next.

“But I’m sorry my dear, Appa can’t give you a bless. Appa want you to break the relationship now. Don’t ever meet him again.”

“B-b-b-but why Appa? I thought you’ll support us?”

“No but and nothing to explain. Just do what I said. Break your relationship now. Do not meet him again.”

“I need to know the reason why Appa! I deserve to know why you doing this to me, to us!”

Soojung said in almost high-pitched tone. She tried to hold her anger but it didn’t work since her face are now red from the her trying to suppress the anger.

“Soojung, my daughter. Listen to me. Kim Jongin is not a good man for you. Just by looking at his resume and listen to your story makes me sure that he is not good for you. You know his family background right? He comes from a poor family background. I don’t want you to support his life. I don’t want you to get hurt because he’s with you just for your money and he’ll leave you eventually when he get what he want. I’m sure he will hurt your heart one day and I don’t want it to happen moreover –“

“No appa! You don’t know anything about us! All you said are false. He’s not into my money and I’m sure he love me as much as I do. I won’t break up with him appa. Not in a million years.”

“Then I will do anything to separate you from him Soojung. From now on, no more date with him. You’ll be accompany by a bodyguard to make sure that that man won’t come close to you ever again. Understand, Jung Soojung?”

“You can’t do that to me Appa no –“

“NO MORE EXPLANATION SOOJUNG. You will do what I said you to do.”

With that, Jung Jaewon left the living room. Leaving Jung Soojung crying and sobbing all alone.

“Appa… why are you like that… what have we done wrong to you Appa… why… if only you know him better…

“Appa… I love you but I also love Kim Jongin…”

 

Jung Jaewon is a man with word. The next day, Soojung walk to her campus accompanied by a bodyguard and they make sure that Jongin won’t come near her. The only place she could be alone is in her class, rest room and library.

Only on the library she can meet Jongin. And that’s where she told him what all his father told her. With tears run down his beautiful face she explained to him the situation. Jongin, although his heart ache still managed to smile and assure her that everything’s going to be alright and that they will find a way.

As time goes by, their relationship was getting difficult. Jaewon cut the telephone connection to Soojung’s room and take her phone so that she couldn’t have a phone call with Jongin. He added more security at the house in order to prevent Jongin come to his house and also added one more bodyguards for Soojung.

But Jongin and Soojung is not a little kids anymore. They still date secretly at the restaurant, at night after their office hour. Soojung said to her father that she attend a dinner meeting with friends or working colleague when in fact she’s meeting Jongin. They still manage to talk through skype or chatting. That way until Jaewon knows and cut all connection from Jongin to Soojung.

Dissociate two hearts and shatter it into pieces.

Leave Jongin and Soojung with no choice but to separate.