Gone

What Does y Mean?

 

A few hours later, I was watering the daisies outside the café, staring somberly at the setting sun. The small drops of water that fell to the pavement from my hose evaporated upon contact with the blazing pavement. My necklace kept swinging out of my shirt, and shone a light yellow in the dying rays of the sun. Behind me, I heard footsteps.

“Those are nice flowers,” an unknown voice said casually. My spirits deflated when I realized it wasn’t the boy, but another stranger.  I stiffened, but nodded jerkily. The person behind me was quiet for a few moments before he moved closer towards me.

“You smell nice,” the person said as he sniffed my hair. Almost instinctively, I whirled around and sprayed him in the face with my hose. He yelped and spluttered, knocked off balance by the sudden attack. Ungracefully, he fell on the ground, rubbing his eyes fiercely. Nervously, I studied him. His black hair was thoroughly wet from the hose, and I could see that he had rather large ears.

“What was that for?” he asked me indignantly as he stood up, shaking the water from his hair.

“I’m sorry,” I mumbled, gently setting down the hose. “Your behavior unnerved me.” He stared at me for a few minutes and then smirked.

“I’m Park Chanyeol,” he announced, with an outstretched hand. Gingerly, I shook his hand, and he nearly crushed mine with the amount of force he exerted. He waited expectantly for me to introduce myself, but after an awkward silence, he coughed.

“Do you know a boy who comes here?” he asked, watching me carefully. “Black hair, big eyes, pouty lips…always carries his backpack with him.”

“I’m sorry,” I said deliberately, my fingers playing fretfully with the necklace around my neck. My small actions diverted his gaze to the white stone that dangled playfully from the chain.

“You know him,” he said slowly, his brow furrowing, “I know you know him, because he gave that exact same necklace to his mother.” Chanyeol gave me a hard stare, but I shakily stood my ground.

“Why does it matter to you if I know him?” I asked, gritting my teeth.

“He went to visit his mother at the hospital a few hours ago,” he said, “and he hasn’t returned.”

“He’s been out far later at night, and you’ve never approached me about his disappearances before,” I said, trying to understand the situation.

“You don’t understand,” Chanyeol said, his fingers tightening around his locks in frustration. “He left me!” My eyes widened at his statement.

“Were you two a couple?” I asked, trying to broach the delicate subject.

“I’m not gay,” he said, his eyes narrowing in irritation. “We live in the same apartment.”

“And?”

 

“And he’s taken all his stuff and gone.”