Name

What Does y Mean?

 

There were snowflakes outside the window and a Christmas tree in the corner of the café, but hardly any people in the shop. People sped by in search of last minute Christmas presents and bargain deals that every other store seemed to be offering. To my surprise, a familiar blond paused by the door and peered into my window.

“What? I thought you were gone forever,” he said, running into the café. His hair was wet with melting snow and he was shivering from the cold.

“I’m back for the holidays,” I said, giving him a hug. “You haven’t changed much, Dae Hyun.” He blushed, and I realized it was the first time I had ever said his name.

“It’s only been a few months,” he said, shifting from foot to foot. “I missed you though.”

“I missed you too,” I said, and truthfully, I had. I’d missed his biting wit that my classmates lacked.

“I bet you missed him too, huh?” I busied myself with making a cup of coffee. He smiled knowingly at me.

“Yes, I missed him,” I said, biting my lip.

“Did he confess that you were the light of his life and the only thing that kept him alive?” he asked, clasping his hands together in mockery. I whacked him on the head across the counter.

“We just talked,” I said, pushing a cup towards him.

“I hope it wasn’t the talk.”

“Not everyone’s a little bastard like you.”

“I’m hurt. I’m still a , you know.” He wriggled his eyebrows suggestively and I laughed.

“I haven’t found him,” I said. “He and Chanyeol moved somewhere else.” Dae Hyun stared at his coffee in contemplation. He seemed to find the reindeer patterns on the mug interesting.

“I need to go,” he said, after finishing his coffee. “Duty calls. Screaming cousins and aunts to entertain.”

“Have fun.” I didn’t sound very sympathetic as he walked out the door. The next few hours were spent glossing over homework and glancing up at the clock every few minutes. Eventually, the lure of fresh snow was too much for me to handle and I stepped out into the bitter cold. Few people were still out, but the restaurant across the street was as busy as ever.

“You’re going to catch a cold.” The boy stepped out of the shadows and looked up at me.

“But if I do, won’t Kim Jong In take care of me?” A hug.

“Yes, I will.” A promise.

“Hey, Kim Jong In, I love you.” A whisper.

“I hope I make an acceptable present. I haven’t got anything else.”

And a kiss.