Hesitant Start

What Does y Mean?

 

I sat for the next few minutes, idly tracing the rough bark of the box. I prayed for the boy to return so that I could be rid of my growing sense of guilt, but a darker part of me wanted to ruthlessly open the boy’s treasure and ignore the consequences. Torn, I bit my lip and looked at the simple clasp that kept the contents hidden. I remembered the story of Pandora, and sighed; the boy deserved to keep some secrets. With one last look, I placed it back at the foot of the bed. Quietly, I slipped out of his bedroom and found the boy in the kitchen. His back was to me as I breached the distance. I watched, feeling slightly out of place as he poured out two cups of coffee. Gently, I placed my hands on his back, and was surprised when he didn’t flinch.

“I didn’t look,” I said, feeling slightly ashamed of my weakness. “I’m sorry I put you on the spot.”

“You can look,” he insisted, a trace of repressed pain evident in his voice. The boy sounded like he was trying to convince himself. I drew a finger down his back, and felt him stiffen.

“Maybe later,” I said, crossing my fingers. Smoothly, the boy set down a tray with two cups on the tiny table. I sat on a chair and did my best not to fidget; the chair squeaked horribly whenever I shifted my weight. The boy seemed lost in thought as he stirred his coffee with a spoon; he stared unseeingly at a framed picture of Chanyeol’s family that hung on the kitchen wall. I sipped my coffee slowly, warming my hands around the mug. We didn’t speak much, except when we needed more coffee or sugar. I grew accustomed to the quiet and bit by bit, we emptied the pot. The boy had just reached for the handle when the doorbell rang. Chanyeol hollered and we heard heavy steps and muffled curses as he reached the door. A feminine voice laughed at Chanyeol’s antics and I caught a glimpse of the girl who was most likely Jae Hwa. The boy stood up as Jae Hwa and Chanyeol entered the kitchen.

“This is Jae Hwa,” Chaneyeol said warmly, with an arm around her waist. I greeted her and we exchanged introductions. She was very pretty with warm chestnut hair and almond eyes that drooped downwards.

“It’s nice to meet you,” she said, more absorbed with Chanyeol’s kisses. I stood there, mildly uncomfortable until the boy pointedly asked them to leave.

“What are you doing?” I asked, as he rolled up his sleeves and the tap.

“Cooking,” he said, looking at me wryly. I blushed at my idiocy and moved to stand beside him. “Sit and watch.” I felt like a child as I sat on a stool next to the fridge and watched him wield the knives and pans with ease. I couldn’t remember the last time I had cooked anything more complicated than scrambled eggs. He hummed as he stirred various confections in the pans and I let the aromatic smells waft around me. By that time, Chanyeol and Jae Hwa had wandered back in the kitchen, both considerably more flushed.

During dinner, Jae Hwa and Chanyeol took turns feeding each other, and I felt awkward as I sat next to the boy. He shot a couple of annoyed glances at Chanyeol, but seemed more intent on brooding over his soup. I followed his lead and after half an hour more, when Chanyeol and Jae Hwa had brought out the beer, excused myself from the table. The boy walked me to the door and looked uncomfortably at me.

“Thank you for the dinner,” I said with a small smile.

“It’s nothing,” he said, his hands behind his back. “I’m –” Quickly, I cut off his apology with a hesitant kiss. It was the first one I had ever initiated, and I was unwilling to pull away. The boy pulled me in closer and I could smell the scent of citrus in his hands as he cupped my face. Eventually, the sound of a phone ringing caused me to slowly release him. I felt my face, and realized that I was only slightly red. The boy seemed about to say something before he darted back to his bedroom. I heard him sort through some things, and he ran back with an envelope in his hands.

“Here,” he said breathlessly, “open it when you get home.” 

 

When I got home, I opened the envelope and took out a faded photograph. It was one of a young girl and boy, hugging on the steps of a familiar café.

 

I glanced at the stars outside the café and hugged the air around me.