First Meeting

What Does y Mean?

 

I was reading a book with my feet propped up on the counter when the tinkling sound of the bell informed me I had company. Hastily, I folded the page of my book and placed it on the cluttered mess that was the counter. I tied my apron back and plopped my glasses on my nose as I smiled at the unlikely customer. Usually, on a Monday night, customers were rarely at this small coffee shop on a quiet street. It was even rarer for a boy my age to be at an old-fashioned coffee shop like this, and yet, there was a boy slightly out of breath by the door. He had on rather rebellious clothes and I saw his windblown hair was naturally curly. His eyes reminded me of a puppy I had once taken in when I was younger; they were fierce but vulnerable.

“Can I help you?” I asked, with a scooper in my hands. The boy hesitated and then walked slowly towards me.

“Do you make Black Eyes?” he asked warily, as he scooted onto one of the mismatched bar chairs that were lined up against the counter.

“Ah, so you like Black Eyes? I’ve never had a customer ask me for that drink, actually,” I admitted as I busied myself with preparing his coffee. From the corner of my eye, I could see him staring out the window, looking a little worried.

“Are you waiting for someone?” I asked, as I set down his coffee in front of him. He jumped, startled, as he accepted the coffee with guilty eyes.

“No, I’m on my own,” he said, as he warmed his hands on the cup. I watched him as he drank his coffee, with his eyes closed in pleasure.

“You make good coffee,” he said, as he smiled for the first time since coming in. I said nothing as he drank the last bit and wiped his mouth on a napkin.

“Thank you,” I said, a little embarrassed by his compliment, and hurriedly wiped the counter with a rag. The boy watched me for a few moments before his phone rang. He picked it up, and I purposely bent down to retrieve a few napkins I hadn’t dropped.

“Oh, hyung, it’s fine,” he said, “I’m not lost. I just stopped for some coffee and I’ll be back in a bit.” He quickly hung up and took out his wallet. Looking at the specials board, he paid swiftly, and dashed out without a word. I stopped, halfway done the counter, to watch him leave. Slowly, he blended into the blackness of the night and was gone.

I bit my lip as I looked into the shadows.

I wanted to know his name at the very least.