You're Not a Superhero

To Teacher, From Student, With Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvdF158K3Lg

Gavy NJ- Twilight

-----

On the following Tuesday, Goryo was in chaos. Students forgot about their lunch and crowded together in the field. Gossip buzzed through the air. They whispered and pointed to the figure standing on top of the roof. Some were cruel enough to laugh and deride the poor student.

The boy was Choi Soohyuk, a junior at Goryo High School. He was suffering from depression, and he was having a mental breakdown at the moment. Everything had become too overwhelming for him, and he decided to end his life.

The teachers came running through the spectators.

Sohee and Nayoung halted and jerked their heads up. Nayoung gasped and cupped her hands over with shocked eyes. Sohee’s eyes widened, and fell wide open in horror.

“CHOI SOOHYUK! COME DOWN THIS MOMENT!” The principal waved his arms.

Sookyuk acted like he hadn’t heard the warning.

“What to do?” The teachers mourned. “Call the police immediately!” Principal Kang ordered.

A PE instructor whipped out his phone and dialed 119 at once.

“Jump, you fool!” One uncouth boy shouted. “He doesn’t even have the courage to.” He smirked and shook his head. His friends laughed and hi-fived him. Soohyuk gulped and squeezed his fists until they were white.

Sohee panicked. *I can’t let this go on. I can tell he’s going to jump. We have to do something now, or this could end really badly.* She darted into the building. Niel noticed her moving and straightened up immediately. *What is that impulsive teacher going to do?* Sohee ran up all the flights of stairs. Her side hurt, and she wanted to stop, but she knew if she was a second too late, the boy’s life could be in danger. Sohee burst onto the rooftop.

The boy whirled around immediately. His face registered shock.

She tried to catch her breath and took a step towards him. “Choi Soohyuk-“

“STAY BACK!” He warned with one hand stretched out. She froze.

“D-don’t come closer…or…or I’ll jump…”Soohyuk threatened. He glanced back and scooted backwards.

“Please! No! Stop right there!” Sohee begged. Soohyuk looked at her.

“Okay, I won’t come any closer. I promise. Just please…please don’t move away.” Sohee fiercely begged.

Soohyuk nervously fidgeted around with beads of sweat running down his forehead. “W-why are you doing this?” She croaked. “There’s nothing right going in my life.” He answered.

Sohee shook her head. “That doesn’t mean you have to resort to such extreme matters. Suicide is never an option, no matter how hard things may get-“

“YOU DON’T UNDERSTAND!” Soohyuk screamed. Hot tears welled up in his eyes. “M-my entire life is falling apart. My parents don’t care about me. I don’t have any real friends. My grandma died, too, and she was the only one I could turn to. There’s no one here who understands me.”

Sohee shook her head. “You don’t know that. You didn’t even try looking.”

“There’s no use. I’m meant to be unloved.” He whispered. Vehemently, she shook her head. “No, that’s not true at all. Everyone is born for a reason, but that is not the rationale of why you are here today.” Sohee took a cautious step towards him. “Look, I know. It may seem hard. You may feel forgotten. Believe me. I’ve been there, too. But you’re not the only one suffering. There are other students who are experiencing hardships like you are. That adversity won’t last long though. Trust me. Life moves on, and things will get better.”

Soohyuk remained quiet. Hope wavered in her heart. *Maybe he’s coming along. Maybe he’ll change his mind.*

Carefully, Sohee walked towards him. Bit by bit, she stretched out her arm. “Don’t be rash, Soohyuk. This is a mistake. You don’t have to go through this alone. You have your teachers. You have me, your history teacher. I swear I’ll help you. We can talk through this, so please, just please…come down…”

To her shock, Soohyuk jumped onto the ledge.

“NO!” Sohee screamed. Tears blurred her vision as her stomach coiled in dread. “Soohyuk please! Don’t do this!” She was bawling now.

“No one can understand me. No one.” Then Soohyuk bent his knees and jumped.

“AHH!” Sohee screamed and covered her face. She couldn’t bear to see him fall to his death.

She heard gasps from below, and her heart plummeted like a rock. *He fell. He really chose to die…*

However, Sohee heard a few grunts from a distance and slowly pulled her hands away from her face. Her eyes widened in surprise. Soohyuk wa

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter