A Secret

Love Is Not About Looks

 

Chanyeol sat in the cafeteria with his friends when Minhee walked up to him. She told him that she had talked to her sister about the date and she had agreed. Chanyeol thanked Minhee and told her that he’d be at their house at 4pm that afternoon. He turned back to his friends who looked at him.

“Who is this girl you were talking about with Minhee?” Jongin asked and Chanyeol sighed. He told them about the days he had spent at Minhee’s place and how he had met this girl Minjung who appeared to be Minhee’s sister and how he had asked Minhee to check with her if she wanted to go out with him.

“What’s so special about her?” Kris asked and Chanyeol thought for a while. He didn’t really know. He wasn’t sure if the date he had asked for was just about wanting to show her that some people care. She wasn’t more beautiful than the other girls. She was actually rather average.

“I don’t know” Chanyeol answered truthfully and the boys groaned. They asked him what she looked like and he answered that she was pretty similar to Minhee but had a rounder face than her. Kris wondered aloud why Chanyeol chose to go out with her; Chanyeol usually went out with the prettier girls. But Chanyeol ignored his friends and thought more about what he would do with Minjung. They couldn’t go to the movies like he usually does with girls. Maybe he just should go out with her and walk around town.

When he got out of the last class he hurried over to the hospital that lay close to the school. He entered through the big doors and walked over to the elevator. He stepped inside, greeting a nurse, and then stepped out at the right floor. He walked over to a room with the numbers 694 on them and carefully opened the door. He was greeted by 3 older women and he smiled, bowing to them as he made his way to the 4th bed.

“Hi mom” he said and kissed his mother’s forehead before sitting down next to her on the bed. A small smile spread on the weak looking woman’s lips and she sighed.

Not many people knew about Chanyeol’s mom. Not even his friends in school. The only ones who knew were his family and the teachers and the principal of his school. His mother has been in the hospital for over a year, fighting for cancer. She is gradually getting better, but it’s still too early to say that she is healthy and that she isn’t a cancer victim anymore.

“Hi Channie” she said quietly and took his hand in hers. “How is it going in school?” she asked and Chanyeol took of his bag and opened it. He took out a box of chocolates he had received from a girl named Kari in school earlier that day. He placed the box on the table beside the bed and smiled at her.

“It’s going good. I’m going out tonight with a girl, so I can’t be here for long” he said and his mother nodded, while telling him that he hadn’t needed to come to see her but he convinced her that he wanted to. His mother asked him to tell her about this girl he was going out with and he told her the truth. That her name was Minjung, that she had rounded cheeks and plump lips and was a nice girl, sister to one of his classmates, he also told her about that she was blind and his mother squeezed his hand tight.

“You have to take good care of her Channie. Remember that” she said and Chanyeol nodded. He looked over at the clock that was placed at the usual spot above the door. He saw that the time was closing in on 4 and he told his mother that he had to leave. He kissed her cheek and told her to get better and that he loved her before leaving the room.

He hurried home and threw of his school uniform. He picked out a pair of black skinny jeans, a white t-shirt and onto his head he put on a baseball cap before pulling on a sweater. He placed his phone in his pocket and the same with some money and the keys to the house. He went to the door and pulled on a pair of black sneakers before heading out the door and towards Minhee’s and Minjung’s house.

Chanyeol walked up to the door of the familiar blue house and pressed the doorbell. He heard running footsteps and then the door opened. In the doorway stood Minhee and she smiled just a little when she saw Chanyeol.

“Come in Chanyeol, Minjung isn’t really ready yet” Minhee said and Chanyeol smiled while nodding. He walked inside and closed the door behind him as he took of his shoes and Minhee ran upstairs and into a room, probably Minjung’s. Chanyeol walked into the living room and sat down on the couch and waited for Minjung to come down.

He heard the sisters talking and steps in the stairs and he turned to look toward the hall. Minhee came walking down first and then came Minjung. Her black hair was tied into a high ponytail and curled at the ends. She wore a pair of dark blue skinny jeans and a grey blouse which on top of she had a white cardigan. Chanyeol stood up from his seat and Minhee took her sister’s hand and helped her until she stood in front of Chanyeol.

“You look really pretty Minjung” Chanyeol said and he saw Minjung’s cheeks heat up just a little before she hung her head a little, as if to look down at her feet. It dawned on Chanyeol that she couldn’t see herself and that was something that hurt Chanyeol. That someone who looked that pretty couldn’t see herself was heartbreaking.

“Thank you” she said quietly and fiddled with her hands. Minjung was scared of reaching out to touch him so that she could feel him in front of her. She was scared that he wasn’t telling the truth and that she looked awful.

“Do you want to go?” Chanyeol asked and Minjung nodded. Her sister pulled her into a hug and told her that if anything at all went wrong, she’d have to call her instantly. Minjung reassured her that she would be fine before talking on a pair of flat ballerinas and walking out the door with Chanyeol. She carefully asked him if she could hold his arm so that he could help her walk around.

Chanyeol took her hand in his and hooked it around his arm so that she was holding onto his arm. He saw a small smile appear on her lips and he smiled in content. They walked around the city. When she heard something new she would ask him what it was; at one point it was a man standing by the corner of the street playing on an accordion. They stopped for a moment and listened and Minjung smiled when she listened to the melody that the man was playing. They continued walking and Chanyeol would occasionally tell her where they were. She only nodded her head and then Chanyeol took her inside a small restaurant. 

_____

A/N: NEW CHAPTER, AND EXO WON THEIR FIRST AWARDS! WOOOOO!!!!!!!! I wa