Bad Guy, Nice Guy

Tears of a Phoenix

 

‘Fine,’ you growl. You don’t think that he would help you in any way. The only thing he was certain of doing was to take your share of food if you ever found any. ‘Come along. Don’t think you’re so special if I end up on T.V.’ His face brightens and he flashes a smile as he runs towards you. The leaves crackle and crunch beneath his large shoes.

You roll your eyes at his childishness and keep walking. The night was darker than black and the trees covered the tiny stream of light that the moon provided. The second that you find yourself in pitch darkness, you collapse onto the ground.

You can’t walk anymore. You can’t do anything anymore. You’re too tired. Yong Guk simply sits beside. You wish he was some kind of magician so he could conjure up a bed, some food and some shelter. You reach over and pick up a twig. You are so hungry you need to keep your mind onto something. You start drawing squiggles across the ground.

As you stand up, something like a miracle happens. You see a rabbit hit the sharp part of the twig and die. Was the rabbit intending to do that? But you don’t dawdle on the fact anymore. You move as fast as your tired body can take you, building a fire. ‘Yong Guk!’ you call. ‘Dinner’s ready.’ He turns around to see a rabbit roasted on a stick over a fire.

His smile seems to float back onto his face as he comes towards the fire. After a few minutes, something tells you that the rabbit has been done cooking. You leave the fire burning for warmth, but take the rabbit of the stick. You tear it in half and give Yong Guk the bigger half. He was a guy, they eat more.

After the feast, you your fingers clean and take refuge in the hollow of a huge tree. Yong Guk climbs and rests on the branch of a tree. You feel that it was a good idea that you took him along. You smile to yourself, unknowingly drifting to sleep.

In the morning, you wake up to see the sun shining straight in your eyes. You look up from the tree, expecting to see Yong Guk sitting on the branch, smiling at you. But you gasp as you see bright red blood dripping from the branch. You look down to see his body splayed across the leaves. You see something red attached to his blue shirt which was also covered in blood.

You scan the message. You are too shock to cry. You are too shocked to do anything. ‘This guy would have just taken all the food you catch. He’s on my bad side too. So because of these very legit reasons, I killed him. I’m being nice for once. You can thank me later. –Daehyun.’

Why? Yong Guk was such a nice guy. Buy why was Daehyun being a nice guy too? Would Yong Guk actually try to steal all my food? Your brain is frozen. You can imagine Daehyun jumping among the branches and stabbing Yong Guk straight in the heart. A chill runs up your spine.

You’re stuck between two statements, one of which may be a fact.

If you believe in yourself that Yong Guk is a nice guy and you would make him a nice grave, so that he may rest, so that you can cry your tears of regret, click here.

But if you think that Daehyun is the right one, where you would leave Yong Guk to rot on the bloodied leaves, click here.