I

Survival of the Fittest

 

“Where are they?” Yongguk asked, parting the curtain with one hand so he could look out the window. “Do you think something happened to them?”

“Nah, hyung, you’re worrying to much,” Junhong said absent-mindedly, turning the page of the comic he was reading.

“Shouldn’t you be in bed, kid?” Himchan grumbled, swatting the back of the maknae’s head. Junhong scrambled out of Himchan’s reach should he decide to make another swipe at him. “Whatever umma,” he said teasingly, sticking out his tongue.

“Quit it, you two!” Yongguk yelled. Himchan and Junhong bickering was nothing new in the B.A.P dorm, but Yongguk’s nerves were on edge tonight.

“Hey Daehyun, have you heard anything from Jongup or Youngjae? They haven’t texted you or anything?” the leader called into the kitchen where Daehyun was enjoying a late night snack before bedtime.

“Hmm?” he asked with his mouth full. Chewing quickly and swallowing his food, Daehyun shook his head. “Nope. I’m not even sure if they had their cell phones on them, they usually don’t bring them out do they?”

Yongguk shook his head, he should have known. The members of B.A.P had no need for cell phones on stage, and the last time Daehyun brought one it had ended up lost.

“Do you think something happened to them?” Yongguk asked Himchan. The car Yongguk had been in had arrived at the dorm nearly an hour ago. Yongguk had casually watched from the front seat of the minivan the car Youngjae, Jongup and some of their equipment had been in. It had been right behind theirs, but Yongguk lost sight of it after they turned a corner past some traffic lights.

Yongguk hadn’t been worried, but he had heard a scream not so long afterwards and suddenly the knife of guilt stabbed him in the gut.

“Did you guys hear that?” he had asked, turning around in his car seat.

The other members and the ladies of Secret were laughing in the back seat, eagerly discussing the concert. “Heard what?” Sunhwa asked raising an eyebrow.

“A scream, just a minute ago!”

Daehyun and Junhong had exchanged looks, Jieun giggled. “I think you may be a bit over-tired, Yongguk-ssi,” the driver said. “I didn’t hear any scream.”

That had put Yongguk’s mind at rest, but when Youngjae and Jongup hadn’t turned up…

“Maybe their car crashed,” put in Junhong teasingly. “Maybe it was hijacked by zombies who are eating their brains as we speak!” Junhong looked up from his comic, gasping for dramatic effect.

Yongguk glared at the teenager. “You’ve been reading far too many comic books. And look at the time! Get to bed. Now.”

“But hyu-”

“Now.” Yongguk’s tone invited no objections.

With an over dramatic sigh, Junhong pulled himself out of the chair he had been sitting in. “Fine. Night hyungs! Night umma,” he added with a smile towards Himchan.

“Listen kiddo, you had better run!” Himchan made a swipe but Junhong was too quick, he darted into his bedroom.

The dorm was silent for a moment, silent apart from the sound of Daehyun’s munching in the next room.

For a rookie group, their dorms were great. They were situated in a block of offices used by TS. The first eight floors were used as offices for different departments of the company. The whole ninth floor had been converted into a dorm and was used by the Secret girls, the tenth used by B.A.P. There were three more floors overhead, empty and waiting for future groups. The dorms were great, but at night when there was no one in the floors below, they were kind of creepy.

“Seriously, Himchan. Do you think they’re okay?”

Himchan nodded. “Of course they are. Maybe their car broke down or maybe they stopped somewhere. In fact, I wouldn’t be surprised to find the two and the driver drinking soju in some bar.” Himchan gave a laugh. “You should get some sleep hyung.”

Yongguk stretched. Maybe his nerves were just from exhaustion. They’d had a long day, after all. “Yeah, you’re right. I’m going to turn in.”

 

You are my poison, you are my poison!
Seumyodeuro nege pagodeuro ppajyo naol su obso!

Hyosung’s voice rang out through the silence of the bedroom.

Yongguk woke from his sleep, blinking for a moment to come to his senses. A pillow landed on his face, coming from Himchan’s bed across the room.

“Turn that racket off!” cried the other.

Finally realizing what was happening, Yongguk reached for his phone. “Poison” was the ringtone on his cell for whenever Sunhwa, Hyosung, Jieun or Hana called him; which wasn’t that often.  Fingers closing around the device he pulled it out from under his pillow, glancing at the time and ID. It was Hyosung herself calling, but it was very late; almost five a.m.

Yongguk briefly wondered whether Jongup or Youngjae had returned before answering.

“Hyosung, what the hell are you doing at this ungodly hour?” he grumbled sleepily.

“Y-yongguk,” came the voice on the other end. Yongguk immediately straightened up. It was definitely Hyosung speaking, but she sounded frightened and her voice was barely audible.

“Is there something wrong?” Yongguk asked.

Frowning on the other side of the room, Himchan sat up when he heard Yongguk’s tone. Swinging his legs over the side of the bed, Himchan got up and the light. Yongguk blinked, his eyes trying to get used to the change in brightness.

“Yongguk, there are people outside our door.”

“What?”

“There are men, a few of them banging on our door.” Hyosung’s voice was urgent. “Sunhwa looked through the peephole…she doesn’t know them and there are about seven of them! They’re outside banging on our door, I think they’re trying to break in!” In the background Yongguk heard a frightened sob. “We tried calling the police but we couldn’t get through… I didn’t know who else to call so I tried you!”

Yongguk covered the phone with his hand and looked up at Himchan. “Call the police,” he whispered. “And check to see if Jongup and Youngjae are back.”

Himchan’s eyes widened, but he did as he asked, darting out of their shared bedroom.

“Hyosung, Hyosung listen to me. Get the other three and lock yourselves in one of the bedrooms. If they’re trying to break in…barricade the door and sit tight. It’s going to be alright.”

Hyosung swallowed loudly. “O-okay.”

“I’ll be right there,” Yongguk said, before ending the call.

Seven plus men trying to break into a dorm shared by four beautiful, famous girls with no help on the way? Yongguk didn’t like the sound of that.

“There was no answer,” Himchan said re-entering the bedroom. “The voice mail playing said that the number was no longer available when I tried the local authorities. And it wouldn’t connect me to the emergency line. Oh, and there’s no sign of Youngjae or Jongup.”

Yongguk wanted to scream. But he had to keep it together. One look at Himchan’s face told the leader that the younger male was worried for their labelmates and their groupmates. And he didn’t even know the full story yet.

“What’s happening?” Himchan asked, but he was interrupted by a sleepy vocalist followed by a sleepy maknae.

“Why the hell are you up so early hyung?” Daehyun asked with a yawn.

Damn. Yongguk had thought that if the police were out of action for whatever reason, he and Himchan would go down and have a look at what was happening downstairs. He didn’t want Daehyun or Junhong involved though.

Sighing, he stood up. “Some men are trying to break into the girls’ dorm downstairs.” Ignoring the confused looks, he continued. “Hyosung called, she thinks they’re trying to break in. And we can’t contact the police. I was thinking of going down and checking things out.”

“I’ll go with you,” Himchan said immediately.

Yongguk stood up. “Get dressed quickly,” he said.

“Hey!” Junhong protested. “What about us? You can’t just leave us here? What if they come up here next?”

Yongguk was about to refuse, but Himchan interrupted. “They’ve got a point,” he said. “Leaving them alone is probably as dangerous as them coming with us.”

Yongguk didn’t want the younger boys coming, but he didn’t have time to argue.

“Hurry up,” he said. “We’ll use the fire escape to climb to the girls’ balcony. We don’t have much time.”

 

Jung Zinger was fierce and courageous. Jung Zinger was strong and laughed in dangerous situations.

Jung Hana, however, was only Zinger on camera and on stage. And at the moment, Hana felt scared and sick, but for Jieun’s sake, she tried to be Zinger, she tried to be strong.

Hana kicked at the bed post, more splinters flaking off this time. She had been sending kicks for the past few moments. Hana frowned, and stood back. She was trying to break off one of the bed posts so she would have some sort of weapon to defend herself from the people outside.

Taking a step back, she swung up her leg in a powerful kick. Her foot connected with the weak spot in the nearly-broken post, and hey presto! The wooden bed post broke off in the centre, providing a possible stick weapon.

Hana picked it up. The broken edge was full of sharp splinters.

“If anyone comes near us, I’ll skewer them,” she told Jieun, happy she sounded more confident than she felt.

Jieun was sitting on one of the beds, her arms around her knees. She gulped and nodded.

They had all heard what Yongguk had said through the phone, but despite his advice Hyosung demanded a split up.

“If they get us, they needn’t get all of us,” she whispered. “Take Jieun into your room.”

Jieun and Hana were in their shared room, one bed pushed against the door.

A crashing noise echoed through the dorm as the consistent beating of those outside finally broke a hole in the door. One stretched an arm in to turn the handle from the inside, allowing them into the dorm.

The way Hana had positioned the bed beside the door allowed it to open a crack so she could see what was happening outside.

Men were walking slowly through the dorm. Their heads hung low, their backs were stooped and they carried their hands and dragged their feet as if the limbs weighed a tonne each. A bad smell of something rotten followed them. Disgusted, Hana raised a hand to cover her nose.

She didn’t know what they wanted, but a growing sense of dread burned in her stomach. The police weren’t coming to help, there was no one else in the building apart from Yongguk and company. But what could they do?

The group of silhouettes gathered outside the door to the bedroom across the hallway; the door to Hyosung and Sunhwa’s room.

Time creeped by as if it were chained to a cannonball. Slowly, so slowly the men placed hands on the door and began to push.

Hana glanced behind her. Jieun’s face was buried in her knees, oblivious to all but the fact that they were in the dorm. She moved her gaze to the scene unfolding.

Despite their speed, these men were strong. Hana could barely see in the dim light, but they all pushed hard at the same time. Hana heard the sound of something heavy scraping across the floor and realized that the combined strength of them was able to push open the door, despite the barricades Hyosung and Sunhwa had doubtlessly put up.

The door opened a little bit. It wasn’t much, but it was enough for the first person to squeeze through.

Hana stayed deathly quiet, trying to hear what was happening. She was aware that with the men pre-occupied with the contents of the other room, Jieun and herself would be able to escape either by the fire escape or the main door. But she didn’t want to desert the other two…

Most had squeezed through into the bedroom. Hana heard Hyosung’s voice, trying to sound intimidating, but quivering slightly.

“Who are you? If I were you, I’d get out right now. Do you know who we are? We can have you arrested, we can have you j-”

Hana never heard the rest of Hyosung’s sentence because it was cut off by a scream. Jieun’s head shot up.

“Unnie!” yelled a voice obviously belonging to Sunhwa.

“Le-let me g-go!” Hyosung’s voice struggled. Hana’s heart stopped. Sunhwa was crying and yelling for them to “stop.” Hyosung could be heard yelping…

But then Hyosung’s voice could no longer be heard anymore. There was a sound of something heavy falling to the floor with a thud.

“Hana,” Jieun whispered.

“U-unnie?” came Sunhwa’s voice, terrified. “What did you do to her?” the two heard her screech.

Soon, there was another thud and silence from the maknae.

Jieun’s eyes were wide. Hana wasn’t aware of the tears flowing down her cheeks rapidly. What the hell had just happened? Hana was aware however, of her fingers tightening around her make shift club.

Standing up and tucking the post into the waist of her pyjama shorts, Hana grabbed Jieun’s hand.

“We need to run, she whispered. “They’re in the other room. Listen to me Jieun, listen to me!” Jieun clearly wasn’t listening. Hana’s hand hit her cheek lightly. Finally, the vocalist’s eyes focused on the rapper. “I’m going to pull back the bed and open the door. Run out and don’t stop no matter what happens. Go upstairs; Yongguk oppa will look after you. Warn them of these people. Got it?”

Tears were in Jieun’s eyes. “What about you?” she croaked, her voice quivering.

“I’ll…I’ll follow you right up. I promise.”

Hana positioned herself at the end of the bed. “Ready? NOW!” With a heave she pulled back the bed. Jieun yanked the door open enough for her to slip out of and immediately sprinted down the hallway to the main door. Inside the other bedroom, the men looked around slowly. Hana followed Jieun, but stopped at the main doorway.

Turning around, the med were slowly trodding after her, quicker than before. Hana broke her promise; she wasn’t going to follow Jieun, she was going to cover her escape. She slid the broken post out of the waistband of her pjs.

“Be brave Hana,” she told herself as the men came closer. “Be Zinger.”

If Hana was going to die, she sure as hell was going to die as Zinger.

This brave thought had barely formed when Jieun’s scream rang through the halls.

“Hana! They’re on the stairs too! Han-AH!”

Jieun’s screams were a heartbreaking mix of terror and agony. Panic flooded through Hana as a thud was heard: the sound of a body falling. She could hear the footsteps approaching behind her.

Jieun. Sunhwa. Hyosung. Hana’s best friends, her sisters. Were they dead? What else could explain screams, followed by thuds, followed by silence?

Hot tears flood down pale cheeks.

The men were closing in on her from both sides. Hana knew the end was near.

Why was this happening? What did Secret ever do to deserve brutal bloody murders? A few hours ago they had been performing on stage to thousands of screaming fans. What would happen when their deaths hit the news?

The closest man stepped close enough for Hana to clearly see his face.

Hana screamed.

His skin hung off his face like an empty sack. The skin was sallow, flaky and yellow. On some parts of his face, there was no flesh or bone, Hana could see the white of his skull. His hair for the most part had fallen off. He had no lips and only one eye which was hanging out of its socket. In the other empty socket, a maggot sat in the decaying flesh.

Hana brought her wooden bed post upwards, then swung down acting on pure adrenaline.

The stick easily broke through weakened flesh and skull and sunk down through the head, through the rotten brain to where the mouth should have been. The man – no, the thing – fell to the ground.

Hana’s eyes widened, disgust at both herself and it mixed with terror filled her.

And then suddenly, white foam spurted down the corridor of the dorm. The heavy substance coated the things, making them stumble back. It was like a storm of foam and it sprayed onto Hana’s pale legs, pyjamas and hair. A silhouette approached out of the white storm.

“Hana! You need to get out of here!” Yongguk yelled.

Beside him, Hana could make out Himchan. Both had fire extinguishers in their hands.

As if in a dream, as if her body was on auto pilot Hana took a few stumbling steps towards the two men. Stumbling steps turned into an unsteady run as she raced past the creatures into the hallway between the main room and the fire exit.

“Where are they others?” asked Himchan, but a look at Zinger’s tears was answer enough.

“Uh, hyungs? You’ve got company!” yelled a young voice – Junhong.

“C’mon Hana,” Yongguk took her shoulder. “We need to get out of here!”

 


 

LOL you can shoot me for not updating in a century

3 characters dead in the first chapter there's more where that came from darlings xoxo -3-