1

Angel

"I'll miss you, Baek..."

 
"I'll miss you too, Chanyeol... I got to go now... Bye!" Baekhyun said as he waved a little goodbye, a little reluctant to leave.
 
"Hurry, Baekhyun." The said boy nodded, settling under Tree of Life. The place got darker as the sun and moon came together in union, and a gentle breeze rustled the leaves of Tree of Life. The wind picked up speed, moving so fast that it seemed white, and consumed Baekhyun, twirling until it disappeared along with the boy in its embrace...
 
The white wind was soft and yielding under Baekhyun's hands, but the white curtain covered his entire view, too stubborn to move away. Slowly, the white wind began to dissipate, revealing the boy in its arms to the human world. Baekhyun closed his eyes. It was a whole new world, and he wanted to savour it bit by bit, because he knew that he would be overwhelmed if he had to take everything in at once. 
 
He relished in the beautiful sounds of nature, the soft murmuring of the river, the melodious chirping of the birds, the gentle rustling of leaves, and the soothing whispers of the breeze that caressed his face lovingly. Baekhyun took a slow, deep breath, inhaling the scents of nature, before opening his eyes. The lake beside him was crystal clear, and shimmering like millions of tiny diamonds as rays of light hit its smooth surface. Baekhyun was sitting on a carpet of vivid green grass that completely covered the brown earth. The boy looked up and saw the boundless blue skies framed by the lush green leaves of the tall sturdy trees. And Baekhyun smiled. The place was so beautiful. It wasn't that EXO planet wasn't beautiful, but this place, Earth, was different. 
 
Baekhyun looked at the brown trunks of the trees, and between the trees, he saw a faint, sparkling unicorn. Although unwilling to leave this tranquil environment, Baekhyun knew that he was on Earth for a mission, not for sight-seeing. And so, he followed the magical creature that led him out of the forest. Baekhyun whispered a soft "Thanks Lay" as he gently the unicorn, and it slowly disappeared into thin air. Baekhyun sighed. Time to start on his mission.
 
______________________________________________
 
"Class! Settle down now. We have a new student with us. Please welcome him. Introduce yourself." Mr Kim the homeroom teacher said.
 
"Uhm... Hi? My name is Byun Baekhyun. Please treat me well." Only a handful of students heard him, and one of them that did gave a bright smile and waved enthusiastically. Baekhyun looked up and saw a panda like boy, and he smiled too.
 
"Well, I guess you can sit between Kyungsoo and Tao." Mr Kim said and Baekhyun was glad. He hurriedly made his way to his seat, but suddenly, he fell flat on his face. The entire class, minus a few, erupted into laughter, and the boy that tripped Baekhyun high-fived his friends. Baekhyun's nose was tingling with pain, a sensation he never felt, and he was fascinated by the feeling. Human sensations, he thought, is intriguing
 
A hand appeared before his face, and Baekhyun looked up to see the panda boy. Smiling, Baekhyun gripped onto the hand and lifted himself up. Feeling uncomfortable all of a sudden, Baekhyun realized that there was a blond boy glaring daggers at him. The look the boy gave Baekhyun was intimidating, and Baekhyun felt unnerved. "Gege! No need to bore holes in Baekhyunnie!" the panda boy commanded, and the blond boy gave a slight pout. "This is Baekhyun, my best best BEST friend!"
 
"So you are THE Baekhyun huh. I'm Kris." The blond boy said, his expression more gentle than before.
 
And through the rest of class, Tao and Baekhyun chatted. Soon, lunch time rolled by, and Tao brought Baekhyun to a secluded corner in school. 
 
"Are you here on a mission?" Tao whispered cautiously.
 
"Yeah. Are you still on yours? It has been so long and I never heard from you."
 
"I'm sorry. I couldn't contact you. I... I have already finished my mission..."
 
"Then why didn't you come back?"
 
"Because I broke a rule. I have fallen in love with the human I was supposed to "save". I can't go back anymore."
 
"Oh... So I guess Mama meant you."
 
"What?"
 
"When Mama gave me the mission, she said that she cannot lose another one of us to the Evil... But you aren't with the Evil are you?"
 
"Sigh... Tell Mama I'm sorry. And I not with the Evil. Love isn't evil. It's a human kind of thing. I'm in love and I'm rooted here forever."
 
"It's Kris, isn't it."
 
"Huh?"
 
"The one you love. It's Kris isn't it."
 
"Yeah..."
 
"Well, he better take good care of you or I'll cut his balls off."
 
"Oh Baekhyun... You don't have to."
 
"I must if he dares hurt my baby."
 
"Thanks hyung. But Baekhyun, who are you supposed to "save"?"
 
"Kim Jongin, aka Kai."
 
"That's not good."
 
"Why?"
 
Before Tao could answer, they heard footsteps that got louder quickly, and Kris appeared, telling them to go eat.
 
During biology lessons, Baekhyun was assigned to the only empty seat in class. Next to Kim Jongin. Baekhyun did not know it was Kai then, but he knew that this was the friend of the boy who tripped him that morning. But Baekhyun wasn't the vengeful type, and he tried to talk to Kai. But Jongin didn't even spare him a glance. It was only when the boy who tripped him call Jongin "Kai" did Baekhyun realize who his seat mate was. Jongin slept throughout the entire lesson, woken only when the teacher hit his head near the end of the lesson. The teacher gave out instructions for an important biology project, and Baekhyun was paired with Kai. Baekhyun was pleased with the arrangement as he got to have more time to befriend and "save" the boy. Before Baekhyun could even say anything to his project partner, the boy had already disappeared.
 
Baekhyun quickly gathered his things and ran out of the classroom, looking for Kai, when he felt a presence behind him. It was Kai. "I'm not going to do it. So do it yourself. You don't need to include my name." with that, Kai turned around to leave, but was stop by the shorter boy. "Don't bother me..." Kai said as he looked back at Baekhyun. His eyes were dark, and Baekhyun felt fear, much more intimidated than when Kris glared at him. Shooting one more warning look at Baekhyun, Kai then left, mixing into the moving crowd of students. Although Baekhyun cannot be harmed by a mere human, he knew that Kai was dangerous. And he knew that he should really take Kai's warning to heart. But he knew that he had a mission to complete. And an angel fearing a human was just insane.
 
Baekhyun didn't get a chance to ask Tao as there was always other people around them. But there wasn't a need to since Baekhyun already knew why Kai needed "saving", and why his mission will be hard. Soon, classes for the day ended, and Tao, Kris and Kyungsoo brought Baekhyun to his dorm room which he will be sharing with Kyungsoo.
 
"Uhm... Baekhyun? Actually, Kris and Kyungsoo knows... About what we are. I'm sure you know why I told Kris... And Kyungsoo knows because he is half unicorn..." Tao said softly when he was sure that outsiders couldn't hear them.
 
"It's okay Tao. Anyway, I see why Kai is going to be difficult." Baekhyun replied.
 
"You have to save him, Baekhyun. He was our friend too... But he doesn't know what we are... I know our friend Jongin is still there... You have to help him." Kyungsoo pleaded, eyes glazed with hope.
 
"I'll try my best but he's entire being screams danger. Since he was your friend, you all can help me."
 
"We will, Baekhyun... Kai wasn't like that back then. He has changed a lot. I still remember when he first entered this school. He was so shy... He was a  really sweet guy, and he loved to dance. He wanted to be a dancer, but he was the heir to his father's company, and so he couldn't pursue his dreams." Kyungsoo said.
 
"He changed because his father won't let him dance?!" Baekhyun asked.
 
"Not just that. He knew that he had to take over his father's company, but he loved dancing. So he asked his father to at least let him dance as a hobby. But his father wouldn't let him dance, and even told Kai that even a toddler danced better than him. He gave Kai a lot of work to do, and put a guard beside Kai so that he couldn't dance at all. Kai's roommate is a dancer too. His name is Sehun, the guy that tripped you this morning. The two slipped past the guard and went to a club to dance. There, they met some people of the Evil that manipulated them. Made them do bad things, changed them. Since then, they've changed. They rebelled against all authority. One day, Kai's father died. It was murder. Everyone accused Kai of being the murderer, even his own mother. I guess that was what really changed Kai, and all hints of the old Jongin was erased completely, only their passion for dancing remained the same. He spent time only with Sehun, and he never contacted us again." When Kyungsoo finished, Baekhyun couldn't help but feel sad for the boy. Although Baekhyun never had a family, he knew that it must be really painful for Kai when his own family didn't believe in him.
 
I need to help Kai, Baekhyun thought, and I will.
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I meant to update this last night but it was already past the internet curfew time. (Yes, I have an Internet curfew). I spent a long time thinking about how to describe nature but man was it tough. I hope you all enjoyed this chapter! Thanks for reading and subscribing!