Fancy Meeting You

You turned my world upside down

 

My first day of work.

 I had to be on location of this group I was hired to handle. It’s now 3:30 in the afternoon. I’m heading to a hotel… the location of the press conference. Anyway, I got there in time, and talked to the manager. I’ve known him for only a few days actually but he’s really nice to me.

“Good afternoon, oppa.”

“oh hey, Yui. You got here early.”

“well, yeah. it’s my first day… so…”

“haha. That’s a nice start.”

“hehe. Yeah. so uh, where are the girls? Or are they guys?”

“oh yeah, you haven’t met them yet, huh? Well, they’re guys. I’ll introduce you to them once they get down from their rooms. Here’s the schedule for the day. pretty tight. Do well, Yui.”

“wah. They’re really busy. Beast? Is that their name?”

I scanned through their schedule. This will be one hell of a road trip. What got my attention is their group name. Beast. I’m not really that familiar with boy bands and groups now a days, what can I say, i’m pretty weird. Their name sounds familiar, though.

Joon Oppa nodded in agreement.

“oh… okay. Well, uhm, I’m gonna go through this, I’ll just make a quick stop to the ladies’ room. I’ll meet you back in a bit. Thanks, oppa.”

“okay, sure. They should be here any minute. The press conference’s up in 3o minutes. I’ll meet you by then so that I could introduce you to the guys. We’ll be heading to the next schedule once they’re done.”

“oh, okay. I won’t be long.”

 

I went to the ladies’ room to prepare. I fixed my slightly crumpled clothes and put on a little powder. I wouldn’t want to look like an ahjumma on the first meeting, right?

So anyway, I went out the moment I finished but much to my disappointment, I bumped into someone so hard that I fell flat on my bum.

“OOOWWW!!!!!!!. What the—“ I said, wincing as I felt the pain on my back.

“oh God. Miss, are you alright??.” The guy said.

“if it’s not any trouble, could you watch where you’re going next time? ‘cause you’re seriously gonna get somebody hurt if you don’t.” I said as I opened my eyes.

He looked so worried. He reached out for my hand.

“I’m so sorry. So so sorry. Here, let me help you get back up.”

“thanks.” I said as I took his hand.

The hallway by the comfort rooms were dim lit so it took me a few minutes to figure out his face. When I finally got a clearer view of him, my expression changed.

“are you okay? Are you hurt somewhere? I’m really sorry.”

“no, I’m okay. My back kind of hurts a bit but no worries, I’m fine. don’t worry about it.”

“seriously, I’m really sorry.”

“stop saying sorry, I said I’m okay. Well, if you don’t mind, I have to get going. Thanks for helping me up, though. and oh, be careful not to bump into people anymore, okay?”

I said as I turned my back on him. I heard him say “okay, I promise” before I got any further. He looked kinda cute. Gee, I don’t know. He looked like a kid. He was wearing a suit but he still looked like a kid. I think I’m older than him.

Anyway, I passed by a vendo machine and saw *gulp* coffee, my favorite drink ever. I’ll probably die without it. I couldn’t resist looking at it without having one so I eventually got myself one. I was figuring out how the weird looking vendo machine worked when somebody ran so fast behind me. woah. Somebody’s in a hurry. I finally got the coffee, checked my watch, 5 minutes left ‘till the press conference of the guys so I headed over. I looked for Joon Oppa around, only to find him by the door to the conference room.

“hey oppa, I’m back. Is it starting already?”

“about to. Yoseob ran in a bit late.”

“one of the members I bet.”

“yeah. well, c’mon. let’s go inside.”

“okay.”

We went inside and I saw a sea of interviewers and a blinding sight of camera flashes. Woah. So this is what it’s like. Joon Oppa and I settled in on our seats by the corner. I was too preoccupied by the scene that I failed to notice that the guy I bumped into was actually one of the guys being interviewed.

I turned to him with a shocked face. Luckily, he wasn’t looking my way. Before I could even say anything, my thoughts got interrupted by Joon Oppa’s voice.

“first time, huh?”

“eh?”

“press conference.”

“oh. Oh yeah. it’s this crazy, huh?”

“well, not really. This is just normal.”

“oh. I see.”

“there are the guys. You really haven’t heard of them? girls your age are crazy about them. i’m kinda surprised you haven’t heard of them.”

“well, I’m not really one of those girls. They seem familiar. Maybe I have heard or seen them before. I don’t really remember.”

“well, you really should be familiar with them from now on. You’ll be everywhere they are.”

“oh. Right. So uhm… the late guy’s Yoseob?”

“yeah. he’s the one in the middle. He’s the main vocalist of the group.”

“oh. I see.”

I looked at the Yoseob guy as he answered the questions asked by the press. No wonder he was wearing a suit. Gee, I made a total fool of myself. What am I gonna do now if we all get introduced to each other?

I sat there beside Joon Oppa, looking at the other guys as well. Yoseob was done answering the questions and now it was the blonde guy’s turn. He looks kind of foreign. Anyway, I turned my gaze back to Yoseob only to find him looking back. I bowed my head quickly and looked away. Oh damn, he probably remembers me.

 

YOSEOB’S POV

I was looking through the crowd when I saw a familiar face… isn’t that… the girl I bumped into earlier? She just bowed at me and looked away… but why is Joon Geon Hyung talking to her? They know each other? I wonder who she is.

She left some kind of an impression to me when we bumped into each other. I don’t know, she didn’t seem to know who I was. Well, she doesn’t look Korean, so I guess she really doesn’t know us. But hey! Joon Hyung doesn’t know English! Why are they… how are they… aish. What am I thinking. She’s probably Hyung’s friend. She looks really young to be his girlfriend. Aigoo. Whatever. She looks cute. I’m probably older than her.

YUI’S POV

Oh gosh darn it. what am I gonna do now? Thing’s will surely get awkward between me and that Yoseob guy. What the hell, I don’t know.

“hey oppa, how old are the guys?”

“well, that blonde guy over there’s 20. Same age as you. the guy next to him, the one with the fancy glasses on is 22, same age as that guy with the black hair next to Yoseob and the brown haired guy next to the foreign-looking guy who’s the same age as you. Yoseob and that guy showing off his abs are the same age. They’re both 21.”

“eh? All I heard was the word “guy”. Haha. Oh. So Yoseob’s older than me…”

“yeah. why? You know him?”

“well, uhh… I kind of bumped into him earlier. I think that was why he was late.”

“oh really? Were you hurt? What did he say?”

“no, I’m fine. he kept saying sorry the whole time.”

“well, that’s our Yoseob. He’s very caring, actually. He’s the most sensitive out of the 6.”

“really? Well, I thought he was younger than me. well, at least he looked younger.”

“haha. He gets that a lot. He just looks like a kid.”

“yeah, I know. I hope things won’t get awkward between us.”

“don’t worry ‘bout it. Yoseob’s pretty friendly.”

“yeah, I hope so.”

 

 

The conference ended at 5:30. Now, I’m gonna meet the guys. Uh-oh… judgement time.

Oppa led me to their room.

“hey guys, your Road Manager’s here…” Joon Oppa said as he opened the boys’ room.

Before I could even show myself by the door, I heard voices screaming “jinjja?” “where?” “is it guy or a girl?”

“annyeonghaseyo.” I bowed as I entered the room.

Everybody froze for a while before greeting me back. I saw Yoseob, who sat by the bed, stand up immediately.

“I’m Yui. I’m actually just the assistant road manager but since Oppa went for a leave, i was assigned to take care of your schedules. Nice to meet you all.” I said then bowed once again.

“so guys, you’ve all met Yui. She’s younger than all of you, except Dong Woon—“

“oh, annyeonghaseyo, noona. I’m Dong Woon. I’m the maknae.” Dong Woon said.

“aigoo, Dong Woon-ah, let Hyung finish talking first! You pabo!” the other guy said, hitting Dong Woon slightly on the head.

“oh, mianhae, hyung. Please continue.” Dong Woon said, gesturing for Joon Oppa to continue talking. Oppa was just laughing at the guys.

“haha. Dong Woon-ah, Yui’s not your noona. She’s about the same age as you are.”

“oh? Jinjja!. Assa! Nice to meet you, Yui~” Dong Woon exclaimed.

“nice to meet you, too, Dong woon.” I replied, smiling.

“so anyway, Yui, this is Doojoon, he’s the group’s leader.” Oppa pointed to the guy who hit Dong Woon earlier. He walked up to me and shook my hand.

“annyeonghaseyo Yui-ssi.” He greeted.

“annyeonghaseyo Doojoon-ssi.”

“oh please, you can call me Oppa.”

“oh. Ne. oppa.”

“next is Jun Hyung, he’s the group’s rapper.” Joon Oppa pointed to the guy behind Dong Woon.

“annyeonghaseyo. Please take care of us.” He greeted warmly.

“annyeonhaseyo. Yes, I will.”

“then there’s Hyunseung, the main dancer, also the vocalist.”

“Ki Kwang, one of the lead dancers of the group, also part of the vocals.”

“and finally, Beast’s visual maknae – Yoseob. He’s the lead vocalist. You guys have met before.”

Before I could even say anything, the rest of the guys went “really? You’ve met her already, Yoseob-ah?” “how come?” “since when?” “why didn’t we know about this?”

 

“oh, no, uhm… I bumped into him by accident, earlier. That’s all.” I defended.

“yeah. I’m sorry ‘bout that, again.” Yoseob looked at me apologetically.

“forget about it. I’m fine.” I looked back at him he smiled, and so did i. we looked at each other like that for a few seconds.

“okay, so you’ve all met. You guys get ready, we’re gonna go straight to your next schedule.” Joon Oppa said.

“oh yeah, you guys are gonna be guesting on a radio show tonight. It starts at 6:30 so we better get going.” I said as I scanned through their schedule once again.

I heard everybody say “ne, arasso.” In agreement. I smiled with a thought that everything went quiet smoothly… that it didn’t become awkward between Yoseob and i. I looked up from the paper and saw Yoseob looking at me. he looked away immediately and started fixing his stuff. Oops, I spoke too soon.