Love Game

It Must Be Fate [semi-hiatus]

 

Why do you act like nothing’s wrong?

Why do you act like you’re fine with the situation we’re in?

Why do you act like you love me when you say you dislike me?

 

“__________, ‘sup?” I felt a familiar arm wrap itself around my neck. An arm that used to belong around my waist.

“Nothing much Jaeseop, except that I’m going to be married to a stranger,” I said sarcastically at my ex-boyfriend, who was now my best friend.

We were best friends before our relationship, and when we broke up, we decided not to let it ruin our friendship. So we had somehow become best friends again. Well, I was comfortable being like this.

He stopped dead in his tracks, pulling me to a stop too. “What?” he asked with an incredulous expression on his face.

“Yeah. My parents’ idea.”

“You’re kidding. In this kind of era?”

“Well apparently they don’t care. And I found out this morning that my future in-laws were actually high school friends of my parents.”

Jaeseop’s mouth hung open in shock. “Close your mouth you idiot. Let’s head for classes, we’re going to be late,” I said and pulled him into the classroom.

 

After school, Jaeseop and I walked out of the classroom together, his arm around my neck once again. Not that I really minded, I was quite fine with it in fact.

When we reached the school gates, Jaeseop let go of me because we had to go our separate ways home. “See you tomorrow!” He waved and turn the opposite direction.

“Who was that? Why was his arm around my fiancée?” A voice whispered in my ear.

I spun around in shock, only to face the mischievous grin of Dongho. My eyes narrowed. “What are you doing here?”

He laughed and s his left arm around my waist. “Nothing much, just bringing you somewhere. I got your school’s address from your mum so that I could catch you before you went home.”

“I want to go home. Let me go.”

“I won’t let go since you didn’t answer my question. Who was that guy? Is it Jaeseop? ‘Cause I think he’s the same guy in your photo. Why was his arm around you?”

I punched Dongho and unwrapped his arm from around my waist. “Yes, it’s Jaeseop. He’s my best friend now, so technically speaking he can wrap his arm around my neck and shoulders!”

“Relax. Hurry up, let’s go on our date.” Dongho linked his hand with mine, dragging me down the sidewalk. I sighed in defeat. This guy was too strong, and besides, I did not feel like going home to see my parents’ faces at the moment.

“I really hate you, you know that?” I scowled.

“Yup!”

“Don’t you hate me? I just took away whatever chances you had of marrying a girl you actually loved!”

“Oh just shut up. Of course I would dislike you. I liked this girl in my school and actually had my chances of being with her until you came into the damn picture. Anyway, look, an ice-cream stall! Let’s get you something to eat so you can keep quiet,” Dongho smirked and dragged me into an ice-cream parlor nearby. Not only was he thick-skinned, he was also impolite! I couldn’t believe I was supposed to marry this guy.

“One chocolate and one strawberry ice-cream, please,” Dongho ordered at the cashier.

I fished out my wallet, pawing through it for cash, when I was stopped by a hand. I looked up at Dongho, who just replied my silent question with “My treat.”

I rolled my eyes. He actually had some gentleman manners somewhere in him. I let go of Dongho’s hand and took a seat at one of the booths in the ice-cream parlor. A few minutes later, Dongho slid into the seat opposite of mine, handing me the strawberry ice-cream.

“I want the chocolate one.” I took the chocolate one from his hands.

“What!? That’s mine!”

“Too bad,” I snickered and scooped up a bunch of the creamy goodness.

Dongho grabbed my wrist suddenly, and before I knew it, the spoonful of chocolate ice-cream was brought to his mouth.

I glared at him. I seemed to be glaring at him all the time. “Fine! It’s yours! Argh, stupid spoilt brat.” I grabbed the cup of strawberry ice-cream and scooped some into my mouth. It wasn’t that bad actually…

“Silly, you have some on the corner of your mouth.” Dongho reached over with a napkin in his hand and gently dabbed my lips, wiping off whatever pink cream was there.

I felt my face heat up. “I can do that myself,” I snapped at him and snatched the napkin from his hand. However, there was nothing left to wipe off so I just placed the napkin on the table. Dongho chuckled to himself.

I must be rather entertaining to him.

Within the next five minutes, I finished my ice-cream. Grabbing my bag, I stood left and prepared to leave the ice-cream parlor, when suddenly I felt a hand on wrist restraining me.

“What is it? You’ve had your ice-cream,” I sighed heavily and looked at Dongho.

“Let me walk you home.”

“O… kay…?” I raised an eyebrow at him. Despite being rather rude at times, this boy did have some gentleman-like manners.

We walked down the street in silence, since we had nothing to talk to about. Or mainly because Dongho was carrying his unfinished ice-cream and eating it while walking.

“How did you finish your ice-cream so quickly?” he asked around a mouthful of ice-cream.

“I don’t eat as slowly as you.”

“I savor my food.”

“I savor it faster than you.”

“Or maybe you’re just a pig.”

“Yah! Shin Dongho!” I shouted and ran after him as he was already running away from me, disposing his empty cup into a nearby bin on the way.

“It must be true!” Suddenly, he was behind me, arms wrapped around my waist, poking my belly. “It’s so soft!” I squirmed and started screaming and laughing. My stomach area was very sensitive.

“Yah… Shin… Shin Dongho… ahh stop! Oh my god… hahaha!” I clawed at his hands.

Finally, he complied and let go of me. “I was right, you’re a pig. Your stomach is so soft. Like jelly.”

I puffed out my cheeks in annoyance. He was still so rude.

We reached my house ten minutes later. “Well… thanks for walking me home. And for the ice-cream, too.” I smiled at him awkwardly.

“Anything for my fiancée,” he simply replied. Before I knew it, he bent down and planted a soft kiss on my cheek.

I stood frozen on the spot. Didn’t he say he disliked me? Why did he kiss me on the cheek? I watched him walk away into the distance until his silhouette disappeared. I trudged into the house, tired and confused.

 

“Shin Dongho… what game are you trying to play?”