Turning Human

Robot Boyfriend: Insanity Level 1000

For the next couple of hours, everything passed in a blur for Haejung. She didn't remember what was happening to the exactly detail, all she remembered was pain, anxiety, and the stain of Luhan's blood in her hands.

Once Agent Kim and his squad rushed in (a little too late I might say myself, but at least they turned up), Luhan was immediately sent to the hospital. Haejung sat in the ambulance together with Mr and Mrs Lu, holding onto Luhan's hand and gripping it tightly, wishing with all her heart that this wasn't the end.

The other EXO-K robots were too sent to the hospital while the scientists and Yang Joowan was arrested for their inhumane behavior, albeit their knowledge was still needed because the doctors at the hospital had to know how to transfer those beating hearts into these human's bodies.

Haejung remembered waiting outside the operating room together with the EXO-M boys, and pacing around so many times that she would have covered a distance of at least 3 kilometres and exactly zero displacement.

Mrs Yoo soon rushed over when she got Haejung's news as she was too worried for the boy she had come to recognise as the son she never had.

The bunch of them waited outside the operating room, their hearts thudding in their chest.

It was horrible to watch, really, because it seemed like the doctors hadn't seen anything like this before. Operate on a human, call a doctor. Fix a machine, call a mechanic.

But Luhan was a human with a generator in place of his heart, how were they going to fix his heart back into his body without harming him?

And the worse thing was that while these anxious friends and families were waiting outside, there were a dozen other doctors and nurses that kept walking in and out of the emergency room, fetching other doctors, in need of more professionals.

Was the operation going smoothly? Was Luhan still alive?

The doctors couldn't even stop to give them answers and Haejung's mind went wild with a million things that could have happened to Luhan in the operating room, all with the same result of him dying.

She was scared, scared beyond belief. She thought she would die too, if he did.

He was so willing to give up his life for her, without hesitation, without even thinking it through. And that was when he had just learnt about how much life had in store for him, the unopened areas in his world that he never got to see. He had just known he was human, and he so readily gave up all that for her.

"Haejung noona...stop crying." Tao whispered, passing her another packet of tissue. "You're killing all the trees and one day the mountains won't have any more trees and I don't have any place to meditate." he tried to joke but his face was too dull and solemn for the effect.

Haejung sniffled and took the tissue from him. "Thanks for trying, Tao." she murmured, dabbing at her wet cheeks.

She glanced at the operating room again and bit her lip. "Why aren't they out yet? Has some sort of emergency happened or something?" she asked, scared. "What if that gun shot hit some vital organ or something. What if Luhan's already dead as we speak?" she gasped, looking deathly pale.

"Haejung." Mrs Yoo frowned. "Don't scare yourself."

Chen nodded. "Ahjumma's right." he whispered. "There's nothing we can do now but believe you know? Believe that it's going to be alright." he assured. "You don't want to look haggard with your tear stained face when Luhan walks out of there alive and kicking right?" he teased.

Haejung sniffled, rubbing her cheeks and wiping the tears away. They soon fell again.

"I should have told him I loved him more." Haejung murmured in regret. "I didn't say it enough. I didn't show it to him. I shouldn't have wasted so much time in the beginning trying to be cold to him and ignoring him, dismissing him from my life. I shouldn't have wasted so much time." she groaned.

"You're going to have the rest of your life with him, Haejung." Kris said firmly. "And once Luhan hyung comes out of there well, you can say you love him as many times as you like. Like an incessant radio that sounds like Xiumin or whatever, you can do that."

Xiumin didn't even bother correcting Kris and didn't acknowledge the insult. "Yeah Kris is right. Chen is too. We've got to believe that Luhan is going to be okay."

The group of them waited four another two hours, when a family came running towards them. "Hi, are you guys the EXO-M boys and Haejung?" A woman asked.

Lay blinked. "Yeah."

The woman flung her arms around Lay and Kris, hugging them both. "Thank you thank you thank you!!!" she heaved, the guy that had arrived with her, which would apparently be her husband, patting her back soothingly. "Thank you for saving our Sehun."

Haejung's eyes widened. "Sehun is out of the operation?" she asked.

The woman nodded. A younger lady, looking a little older than Haejung, smiled with her tear stained face. "Yeah." she nodded. "Thank you so much for saving Sehun from that evil guy. You don't know how frightened we were when Sehun disappeared all of a sudden one day. We filed a police report but we didn't manage to find him."

"How is he now?" Xiumin asked, wondering if Sehun's operation ended would that mean that Luhan's one was ending soon too?

"He's still unconsicous from the medicine but the doctor says the heart transplant back into his body was a complete success." The father, Mr Oh smiled in relief. "We just thought to say thank you before everything. You saved those boys from being captive. You saved our son."

"It's nothing." Kris pinked. "We're saving our friend as well. How are the other robo-I mean, boys?"

"I heard Baekhyun's already out of his operation two hours ago and he regained his consciousness." Sehun's elder sister told them. "And the police have found a bunch of antidote to the memory cleaning pill things and are currently testing it in the lab. If it works, Baekhyun will have his memories of being a human, back in no time." she smiled.

The gang heaved a sigh of relief. That means there was hope for Luhan.

"Yeon!" A cute looking guy came running over and tugging on Sehun's elder sister's hand. "Yeon, Abeoji Omonim, you've got to come. Hun's woken up!"

"Really?" Mrs Oh shrieked. "Quick Yeobo, Jooyeon, we've got to go!" she smiled at the gang tearfully and bowed once more. "Thank you so much!"

The gang watched as they family left, running towards the ward where Sehun was resting. Haejung gripped her mother's hand tightly, biting her lips. "Do you think Luhan's operation will be a success like that too?" she asked, uncertainly. "I'm scared, umma."

"Well I'm sure he's going to be alright." Mrs Yoo murmured. "Luhan's a strong boy isn't he?"

 

 

 

It wasn't another two more hours before the operating room's door finally opened themselves to reveal a team of four surgeons and six nurses, looking tired out from the twelve hour long operation.

The gang had taken turns sleeping outside, but Haejung never let her eyes shut for more than neccessary. She wanted to be the first to know when the operation ended.

The gang rushed to the doctors and their lips nervously. "Doctor, how's our son?" Mrs Xi asked anxiously.

"So far we've successfully transplanted his heart back into his body." one of the doctors told them. "It seems to be working okay right now, and we have to monitor to make sure it's going to adapt to the body. Meanwhile, the gun wound at his back didn't pierce anything important so that's a relief. Just few months of strictly no strenous excercise."

Everyone heaved a sigh of relief.

"Okay but the thing is," another doctor continued. "There's something really tricky here. Apparently this patient has eaten these memory cleaning pill things for a much longer time than the other boys, and these pills had infiltrated his system. These pills have an adverse impact on the body in long term, and we don't know if he's going to wake up."

Haejung's eyes widened. "You mean, Luhan's going to be unconscious for life?" she squeaked, feeling faint.

"Possibly." The third doctor nodded solemnly. "But we hope not, since those ultra vitamin pills may have upped his immune systems a bit. If the patient doesn't wake up in a week, there might be danger of him not waking up forever."

The gang gasped.

"Isn't there anything you can do about it?" Chen asked desperately.

"I'm sorry. "The fourth doctor shrugged. "We haven't seen this memory cleaning pill before and it would take a while for lab tests to determine the exact causes of the adverse effects. By then, it might have been too late. Whether or not the patient wakes, it depends wholly on his determination."

The doctors bowed and left with the nurses, leaving a group of depresssed people.

"What if our Luhan doesn't wake up for the rest of his life?" Mrs Xi whispered in fear. Mr Xi hugged her sadly, closing his eyes in grief.

Haejung swallowed, tears cascading down her cheeks. *Luhan....please wake up. I love you. Please.*