Chapter 5 - Maeda Atsuko

Underneath the Spring Colored Sky

Before, I would never look forward to school. I only view weekdays as a routine: wake up, school, homework, sleep. Now, after being friends with the formerly obnoxiously loud Yuko, and the awkwardly hilarious Minami, I wish I can just live in school.

I walk into the classroom and shout “Good morning!”  I smile and everyone awkwardly greets me back. I understand. It’s my first time greeting people like this.

I go to my seat and I don’t pull out my book like I usually do. I just sit there kicking my feet restlessly, waiting for Yuko. Any minute now, she’ll walk through that door and announce her arrival. Before it was dread and now it is anticipation. Hurry up!

“Good morning.” Yuko comes in and smile. She didn’t shout it like she usually does. What happened?

Instead of waiting for her to come up to me and greet me, I go up to her. “Hey, what’s the matter?” I ask.

Yuko shakes her head. “Nothing’s the matter. I’m just tired.”

I look into her red eyes, “Did something happen last night? That made you not sleep well?” I ask.

“No,” Yuko shakes her head. “Just too excited about today.” Yuko takes out her phone. “You should give me your number.” She hands me her phone. It’s really strange. One of the first things we’d do is to exchange numbers after becoming friends. It’s funny how we just skipped right to inviting each other to our house.

I take her phone and added my number. I texted myself so I can add her number later.

“Thanks.” Yuko smiles.

“Hi guys!” Minami puts her arms around us. “How is the morning treating you?”

“Excellent!” I say. We look over to Yuko.

“Ah, good! I guess.” Yuko says.

“Why don’t you put your head down and rest for a while.” I tell Yuko. She nods and goes to the closest seat to her and puts her head down.

“You know what happened?” Minami asks.

“She said that she was so excited about today that she didn’t sleep well.” I tell her.

Minami just lets a breath out and she goes sit down.

I don’t believe Yuko to be honest.

After school, I run out of the building to see if I can catch Yuko. I don’t see her around. Maybe she’s not out yet. So I sit on a bench close to the entrance and wait for her to come.

I’ve never notice this before. I look up and the trees are covered in calming pink, and the sky is a nice blue color. It’s beautiful. Why haven’t I noticed such beauty before? Maybe because I was always looking down and never bothered to look up.

Then I see Yuko coming out. I get up, “Yuko!” I say. I gesture her over. She runs over but she is slower than usual and her smile seems tired. I don’t think she’s tired like she says. I think something is bothering her.

“Yuko, please talk to me. You don’t seem like yourself.” I tell her. I feel like crying. She’s so energetic, so happy all the time that it really pains me to see her force happiness onto herself.

“I told you, I’m just tired.” Yuko says. “Don’t worry about it.”

I grasp her arms. “Please! Tell me! We’re friends right?” It’s the first time I called her that, called anyone in this school that and suddenly, she’s crying.

“Atsuko,” She says looking down. “I’ve always wanted to hear you call me that. So why aren’t I happy about it?”

I hug Yuko and she continues crying. I whisper into her ears, “Tell me everything.”