Chapter 1 - Maeda Atsuko

Underneath the Spring Colored Sky

“Good morning.” A teacher says to me. I nod and I walk down the familiar white corridor and reach my classroom. I walk in and see my classmates talking among each other. It’s just like every other morning.

I go to my desk and sit down and take out a book and start reading, waiting for homeroom to start. Any minute now, one of the loudest people I’ve ever met will burst open the doors and announce her arrival. It annoyed me at first but I’m used to it now, especially since we’ve been in the same homeroom since freshman year.

“Good morning!!” Yuko shouts. I don’t know what gives her so much energy in the morning. Coffee? I think she said once that she doesn’t drink coffee. I’d like to see her morning routine just to solve this mystery.

“Good morning, Atsuko!” She places her hand on my desk. I look up from my book and I see her wide, toothy smile. I nod.

I hear a sigh from her and her smile is gone. “Oh, come on! Say something.” She says. I start reading again, ignoring her. I hear another sigh and she walks away. Finally some quiet, even if it’s only for a few seconds.

“Good morning! Good morning!” Yuko greets everyone. Nice, and energetic. I guess that’s why people like her so much. Me on the other hand, quiet and apathetic or at least, that’s what I hear. I agree.

“Good morning, class.” Mr. Johnson says. “Please be seated.” I close my book and leave it on top of my desk and everyone shuffles to their seats and await announcements. “There isn’t very much to say,” Mr. Johnson looks at everyone. “Just remember that there is an assembly during sixth period today.” Of course it has to be sixth period or as everyone calls it, the useless period. It’s our elective period and everyone had to choose Writing. It was the only choice on the sheet too, well at least for the Tuesday, and Thursday electives.

“Well that’s it. Yes, Yuko?” Mr. Johnson says. I turn around and see Yuko with her hand all the way up in the air and her eyes are full of eagerness.

“Since announcements are over, can we go back to talking and walking around the room?” Yuko says with her usual wide smile.

“I don’t see why not.” Mr. Johnson says and Yuko shouts with excitement and everyone goes back into talking and walking. I open my book and start reading again.

“Hey, Atsuko!” I put my book down and turn around to see who said my name. I see Yuko waving. “Come!”  She gestures me over to her group of friends.

“Uh…no, thank you.” I say though I’m positive that she didn’t hear me. I barely heard myself. I see something to her friends. She gives a nod to them and walks over to me.

She takes my hand and I look at her. “Come over, talk with us.”

“No, thank you.” I pull my hand away from her and continue reading. Why is she so insistent on talking to me? I hear the familiar sigh and footsteps. I wonder if her friends are making a bet with her. I can imagine their conversation with Yuko: If you can become friends with the loser, we’ll give you a 20!

Sixth period arrives and we all go to the auditorium for the assembly. I take a seat and wait for the assembly to start.

“Mind if I sit here?” I turn to see Yuko standing there.

“Go ahead.” I gesture. She sits down next to me. I can almost imagine her scream with excitement.

“What do you think this assembly will be about?” She asks.

“I don’t know.” I say. Maybe if I keep saying: I don’t know, she’ll ignore me for the rest of the assembly.

“I think it might have something to do with all the stealing that’s been happening.” Yuko says. “I heard that Maria Taylor’s phone was stolen. They tried calling it several times but no answer.”

That could be it. Not only Maria Taylor, but Eric Daniels also had something stolen from him. I think it was one of those expensive calculators.

The assembly starts when we see Principal Akimoto step up to the podium. Sure enough, it is about the stealing. We know: stealing is bad. Even if the culprit is among us, I doubt he’ll turn himself in when Principal Akimoto already said that he’ll suspend him or her.

The assembly is finally over and so is my “time” with Yuko Oshima.