Love at First Sight

I Fell in Love with a Mermaid

Jonghyun’s P.O.V.

It was a night like any other. A black cloudless sky with twinkling stars, and a moon, lighting his path to his usual swim for the night.

Something felt different as he neared his favorite stream. He froze as he heard a soft melody. “Splish, splash, splash all over again.” A feminine giggle sounded as she sang that little line. Awestruck by her soft voice, he snuck closer. He crawled underneath a bush as he laid on his stomach. His jaw dropped as he couldn’t believe the sight in front of him.

The girl looked like in her late teens with long jet black-blue hair. What he could see of her skin was pale and smooth. Her hands were dainty and seemed so fragile.

His breath caught in his throat as she turned. The water up to her chest, the water reflected into her eyes. He inched closer as he rubbed his eyes, thinking his eyes were playing tricks. Her eyes glowed hazel as it glowed blue. He let out a soft sigh that belonged to a lovestruck man.

As he rearranged his arm, a twig snapped under his arm’s weight and broke in half. The girl gasped and looked toward his direction. She moved back slightly then dove under. Alarmed, he waited as he thought it was a defensive mechanism only. Panic kicked in as she didn’t resurface. He shed his shirt and kicked his shoes in random directions as he dove in. He swam to the bottom and back, filling his lungs with air each time. Little did he know about the girl sitting on the rock nearby watching with interest. It wasn’t until he climbed onto the bank with exhaustion that he finally saw her with a smile on her face. He stared, speechless and mouth slightly agape.

She giggled. He felt his cheeks heat up. She smiled softly as she motioned him to come closer. Now turned to mush, he stepped closer as he half dragged and half stepped out of the stream. His gaze on her, he stumbled a few times before making it to her. She placed her hands on his shoulder gently nudging. He warily laid on his back. She smiled softly as if to ease his wariness. It worked as he relaxed somewhat. She placed the tips of her fingers gently on his eyelids, slowly closing them. His heart began to beat as if he just finished running in a marathon. His fingers twitched in anticipation.

Softness met his lips. He let out a soft sigh as he lifted his head, seeking more contact. The softness retreated as he opened his eyes. She was no longer there. He gasped. He scrambled to his feet, frantically searching for the beauty. He glanced at the rock as something shined. He stepped closer cautiously and picked it up, examining it. It was a pearl bracelet tied at the end with a pink ribbon into a small bow. He held it close as he read the note it rested on. ‘Find me.’