A Piano Lesson with Him

Smile

 

                “Ya! Hyung, what are you doing?” Melody found Henry in the music room. He looked up at her. He looked like he was composing.

                “I’m washing the dishes. Wanna help?”

                “Huh?” Melody frowned. “You know how corny you are hyung? Don’t do that again.”

                Henry sighed but he’s smiling. “You’re such a stone, do you know that?”

                “No,” she answered. “But I know I’m really pretty.”

                “HA!” he laughed. “See that, you keep on calling me hyung and then you would attack me with your words like that.”

                She grinned. “Why not? I’m the only one who could praise myself like that so why would I deny it?”

                “And that also. Why do you think so low of yourself?”

                “No, I’m just being realistic.”                 

                “Being realistic now means degrading yourself?”

                “I’m not degrading myself. It’s just that, this is me. This is how I grew up.”

                “Has nobody ever praised you while you were growing up?”

                “Yes, there were. But here’s the thing – if people praised me because of my talents or because of my intelligence, I’d definitely feel overwhelmed and flattered. Because there is proof, and because I worked hard to develop that. But if they praised me because of my physical appearance, I’d say ‘thank you,’ I guess. Of course I would really appreciate it if they think I’m pretty. But the thing is I couldn’t take too much credit for that because I didn’t do anything to look this good.” She grinned. “Do you get my drift?”

                There’s still a knot on his forehead even when he said, “I think so.”

                She sat next to him. “Okay, change topic.”

                “You are really one weird fella.”

                “I know,” then she looked at what he’s doing. “You’re composing?”

                “Yeah,” he answered.

                “How do you do that?”

                “Do what?”

                “That,” she pointed at the music sheet. “Do you write the lyrics first or do you create the melody first?”

                “You’re name is Melody,” he seemed to be reminding her.

                “Yeah. So?”

                “And you don’t know anything about music?”

                “Of course I know something about music. I could even write some lyrics if I want to. And I know how to sing. But I don’t know how to play any musical instrument or read that music.”

                “Hmmm… Do you want to learn to play the piano?”

                Her eyes lit up. “Will you teach me?”

                “I have a very expensive talent fee.”

                She pouted her lips like a little kid who was not allowed to eat her favorite candy. “I’m teaching you Japanese, Spanish, and more French.”

                Henry laughed because of her facial expression. “Arasseo, arasseo. Listen well because I will only say these once.”

                Her face brightened up again. “Don’t worry, I’m a fast learner.”

                “I kinda figured that out already. Okay, let’s start…” then he started teaching her how to read the notes on the music sheet. He also taught her about the different keys in the piano. But after some time, they heard the door opened. It was Leeteuk. He looked at Henry.

                “Henry, are you busy?” he asked him. Henry looked at her then shook his head. “Manager hyung is looking for you. You better see him first. It must be important.”

                “Arasseo, arasseo,” he stood up then looked at her again. “I’ll be back. Or…” he must have thought of an idea because he suddenly smiled mischievously. “Hyung!” he called Leeteuk before he could go out of the room.  “Melody is asking me to teach her play the piano. Why don’t you teach her instead?”

                “Hmmm,” Leeteuk seemed to be really thinking about it. “It’s okay. I’m not really busy.” Melody was shocked by what Henry did. He even winked at her without Leeteuk noticing when he went out of the room.

                So now they are left alone. She could feel her heart palpitating when he sat next to her in front of the piano. She hoped he wouldn’t hear her heart beat.

                “So you want to learn to play the piano?”

                “Yeah. I never had the chance to learn it in the past because we couldn’t afford it. Besides, I focused on studying languages.” How come she’s becoming talkative when she’s nervous? To hide the loud beating of her heart beat? Perhaps.

                “It seems to me that you really like music. I still remember when you sang ‘Insomnia’ and ‘The Alphabet Song’.”

                “I can’t live without music.”

                “Nado.”

                She smiled. “Obviously. Without music, you wouldn’t be this famous.” And I wouldn’t have known you, she wanted to add.

                “You could be famous too, you know. Your voice is really beautiful.” Wasn’t that the nicest and sincerest compliment she ever got?

                “Oh, I don’t think so.”

                “Why not?” he asked.

                “Because I don’t have enough confidence to sing or do anything in front of so many people,” she answered.

                “Don’t you think you should share your talent?”

                “I’m already sharing my talent to you, right? If I become a singer, I wouldn’t be able to teach you anymore.” She just wanted to look into his eyes but she’s afraid he would know her real feelings.

                “You know what, you’re right,” he agreed to her. But after a moment, “But you can’t be with us forever, right? We can just wish you can stay with us for as long as we want. But… even though you might not be thinking about it now, even if you teach us all the language that you know, the time will come that you would want a new environment or a new job,” he looked sad while he was saying that.

                “Let’s not talk about those kinds of things,” she said. “Anyway, that would be a long time from now. You’re here to teach me play the piano, right?” she smiled at him. But his nearness is making her shiver!

                Her smile must have been infectious because he smiled also. But after a while, his smile changed into a sheepish one. He even scratched his eyebrow. “Actually, I know how to play the piano, but… I don’t know how to teach you.”

                She didn’t know if she would laugh or knot her forehead because of what he said. She just decided to do both.

                “Hey, don’t laugh at me.”

                “Sorry,” she said when her laughter subsided. “Why don’t you play something first? I think it would be easier for me to learn if I see how you play it. I could familiarize myself to the sounds of each key. Anyway, Henry has already taught me how to read the notes and about the different keys in the piano.”

                “You seem really close to Henry, huh?” He was smiling but she could almost feel the bitterness in his voice. Is he really jealous? She doesn’t want to get her hopes up that’s why she’s just keeping from the back of her mind that he indeed likes her.

                “Yeah,” she answered.

                “And you are closest to him among all of us,” it was a statement.

                “You could say that.”

                “How come?” he asked again. “I mean, we all get a chance to spend some time with you because of your tutorial lessons. But Henry doesn’t need much of that. He is already good in most of the languages that you were teaching.

                “That’s exactly the same reason why we became that close. Back in the days, when I first came here, you were still uncomfortable in talking with me because your English was not that good. And I required you to speak in English whenever you’re with me. You were not avoiding me but you were not talking with me that much either. With Henry, he is comfortable enough to talk about any topic with me. Not to mention, we are just of the same age.”

                “Hmmm… I wish I spoke better English then.”

                “But you speak better English now.”

                “Yeah, but then is so much different from now. We could have been closer.”

                “Huh?” What is he saying? Did he really mean it?

                “What do you want me to play? He suddenly changed the topic. He put his gaze at the music sheets as he seemed to be looking for something. Why is he like that? He would open up a topic that could probably bring their relationship to a different level and then he would suddenly leave her hanging in dead air. He would fill her heart with so much anticipation and then he would suddenly avoid her. What does his every action mean? What was inside his every action and statement? She has so many questions in her head but she just couldn’t bring herself to ask him. She’s so damn afraid of rejection that’s why she never tries to get closer to anybody unless they make the first move. She never wanted to get disappointed that’s why she always keeps herself from assuming or expecting for things that might not come her way. And on top of that, she’s afraid of getting hurt.

                Her wandering brain suddenly went back to her brain when she heard some sound. Leeteuk was playing the piano. She almost forgot where she was and what she was doing. The only thing she probably wouldn’t forget is that she’s with Leeteuk.

                “Do you know this song?” he asked as he was playing. He was looking at her. And then she recognized what he was playing and she laughed. “Don’t laugh at me. Look at the piano.”

                “Arasseoyo seonsaengnim.” He probably liked what she called him because he smiled happily. Oh my God! I’m really doomed, she screamed inside her head. She decided she won’t look at him anymore because she might do something reckless. Like kiss him.

                “Stop, look, and listen. You will learn how to play the piano.”

                “You sound like a stoplight,” she commented.

                “Shhh…” then he cleared his throat.

                “You’re gonna sing the song?”

                “Shhh…” he asked her again to quiet. Then he started singing. “Doe- a deer, a female deer. Ray- a drop of golden sun. Me- a name I call myself. Far- a long, long way to run. Sew- a needle pulling thread. La- a note to follow so. Tea- a drink with jam and bread. That will bring us back to do oh oh oh…

                She couldn’t help giggling. The song didn’t match his manly voice but he looks so adorable. Would he be this adorable when he sings this kind of song to his future children? Somehow, she can picture herself raising a family with this guy as her husband. But then, she shook her head. What was she thinking? That is way too impossible! She just settled her gaze at the piano. That’s her objective after all.

                After three repetitions of the song, he stopped playing. “Did you see how I play?” he asked.

                “Yeah.” Actually, she already memorized it.

                “Now, can you play on your own?”

                “I’ll try.” She put her fingers on the piano keys. She pressed the first key of the song but then, he held her hand and she almost fell from her seat. Thankfully, he didn’t notice her surprised reaction. Or did he just pretend he didn’t notice? Whatever it was, the sensation of his hand on hers sent shivers down her spine.

                “That’s not how you should position your hands. Place it as if there is an egg under your palms.” She did what he said. “Now, try again.” She started playing again. Slowly at first. She was nervous as she was playing because he sometimes holds her hand if she was about to make a mistake. She tried to focus on the song. She repeated the process over and over until it was almost perfect and he told her to stop.

                “Wow!” he said. He looked really impressed. “You are a fast learner. Do you have a photographic memory?”

                She chuckled. “I wish I have. I wouldn’t make any mistakes if I have a photographic memory.”

                “Tell me then, is this really your first time in playing the piano?”

                “Yes, it’s my first time.”

                “How come you get it so easily?”

                “You know my mottos in life? ‘Try and try until I succeed’ and ‘Practice makes perfect’.”

                “But still, you were only practicing for a short while.”

                “Maybe because I have a good teacher,” she tried to compliment him.

                “You’re trying to be humble. I haven’t taught you anything yet.”

                She chuckled again. “Hmmm… maybe because that piece was so easy. It’s not complicated at all. I only have to know the Do-Re-Mi and I could play it. Try playing something more complicated and I wouldn’t be able to follow anymore.”

                “Hmmm…” he thought about it for a moment and then suddenly, he took a music sheet from the pile of papers. “I’ll play my song. This is actually a duet but I like the piano arrangement of it.” He started playing. “Do you know this song?” he asked after a while.

                “Grumbling,” she said as she easily recognized the song. She wouldn’t forget that song because she felt so jealous of the girl he had a duet with. She wished she was in that girl’s shoes.

                “Do you know the lyrics?” he asked again. She nodded. “You know I love the lyrics of this song,” he said as he kept on playing.

                “Nado,” she told him. It was true. That song mirrored her real feelings. For him.

                “Sing with me then.” He started again from the intro. “It’s your part first.”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZvvGI446pI

She waited for the right timing and then she started singing. “I feel frustrated. How can you be so foolish not to notice! The way you speak shows that you are not impressed with my charm. I’m beginning to lose my courage.”

                 Leeteuk sang his part. “That's not because I'm foolish. I only look at your face and my mind turns blank. I don't know why. I've been practicing to speak tenderly and beautifully for the whole day.

And they sang together. “Trying to express honestly. I will stop being timid. And take step by step, get closer to you. You'll become my last love, I believe so. Forever with you.” Don’t they sound really good together?

She sang the female’s part again. “I'm disappointed that you're not concerned. How come you don't understand me? And sometimes, with those straightforward words, my strength has gone.”

That's not because I'm foolish. I only look at your face and my mind turns blank. I don't know why. I've been practicing to speak tenderly and beautifully for the whole day.” Is he singing the song from his heart?

Now, I'll be your only one, only one heart will beat for the two of us. Even though the time would pass by, we’ll cherish this beautiful moment forever.”

He just looked at her when the song finished. He was looking at her eyes like he was trying to read her mind, like he was trying to know the depths of her soul. And she was mesmerized by the look in his eyes. “That was really beautiful,” she barely heard him because her attention was focused on his head that was moving toward hers. He was looking at her lips. Is he really going to kiss—

“Hyung!”

And the spell was broken. Both of them almost jumped in surprise as they looked at the person who disturbed that precious moment. It was Eunhyuk.

“Oh Melo, you’re here also,” she smiled innocently at him. She knew she was blushing though. Eunhyuk almost caught them in a very compromising situation. But how she wished he didn’t come!

“Hyung, our manager is looking for you. You better see him first. It must be important.”

“I know that line,” Letteuk said. She laughed as she realized what he meant. It was the same thing that he said to Henry. He looked at her. “I won’t tell him to teach you instead though.” He stood up. “We will continue what we were doing before he came and interrupted us.”

You mean, we will continue with the kiss, she almost asked as she continued looking at him. His eyes were glinting with amusement like he just found something interesting. “I’ll see you later,” he said as he walked to Eunhyuk.

“What was that all about?” Eunhyuk asked but Leeteuk just pushed him out of the door. And she was left alone. She sighed in utter disappointment.

               

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Does it seem pretty long? It's almost ending..

Comments?

Suggestions?

Violent reactions?