Untold Secrets and Love (Part Two)

Friendship & Love

Aish! Arraso!” Key pulled Onew out of the hospital and into the car.

“Good boy, Key. Now drive off. Forget about her,” the stranger went on.

“Andwaeyo. I can’t forget her. She needs me.”

“She needs her biological family, Key, not you,” the stranger said.

“Biological?”

“Hae Rin is adopted, Kim Kibum. She’s not a Kim. She’s Lee Hae Rin, daughter of Lee Soo-Man, owner of your record label.”

“But Uncle Lee doesn’t have children.” Key was confused. What is this nonsense? His mind was spinning too much to process it all.

“Key, Hae Rin’s mom was his girlfriend. Before he got married, he was with her. Then he ended it when he got married to his wife. But at the time, Hae Rin’s mom was already pregnant with her.”

“Who are you?” Key demanded to know. “How do you know this?”

“You don’t need to know who I am, or how I know that. Just tell Lee that Hae Rin is his daughter. Tell him her mom’s name is Nam Hyun Mi. He’ll deal with everything else.”

“Okay, will you stay away from my family?”

“Drive away and I will never call or harm you and your family every again.”

Key ended the call and turned to Onew, who was feeling as though he was missing something important. “Let’s go.”

“Who was that?”

“I’ll tell you later. We have to go to Uncle Lee right now.”

Onew shrugged. Key will tell on his own time. “Okay. Whatever you say, I guess.” He started the car and they drove off to SM Entertainment.

 

At the SHINee’s apartment, Boo Yee was still in shock and was still crying. She could not stop imagining the image of her best friend lifeless in the middle of a puddle of blood.

“Why would she do that?” she sobbed.

Minho wiped her tears away. “Boo Yee, she’ll be fine,” he reassured her.

“Did you see all the blood?”

Taemin came in with the rest of the family. “Any call yet?”

“A – anniyo,” Boo Yee wailed, hugging Minho’s torso as she cried into his chest.

Minho winced in pain from his girlfriend’s tight grip.

“The mess in the bathroom is clean,” Jin said. “Boo Yee, Hae Rin will be fine. She’s a strong girl,” he added.

Ding dong!

“I’ll get it,” Taemin said. Anything to get me out of seeing that girl cry. He walked over to the door and opened it. There was no one out there except for a box out on the front step. “Um, okay?” He carried the box into the living room after closing the door behind him.

“Who’s that from?” Jin asked.

Taemin put the box down and kneeled beside it. “I don’t know; it was just at the door.”

“I’ll open it,” Jin suggested. He opened the box to reveal a bunch of papers and photographs. No bomb.

Boo Yee let go of Minho (much to his relief) and picked up a picture from the box. “This is Hae Rin’s mom, Aunt Hyun Mi,” she said.

Jin looked at the picture. “I’ve seen her in another picture before, but where?” he mused. “She looks familiar.” Then he gasped. “That’s Soo-Man’s college sweetheart, Nam Hyun Mi.”

“So Hae Rin’s mom was Uncle Lee’s girlfriend?” Taemin asked, kneeling beside Boo Yee.

Jin picked up a piece of paper that fell from the box. He gasped. “It can’t be . . . she can’t be . . .”

“Who can’t be, hyung?” Taemin asked.

“This is Hae Rin’s birth certificate,” Jin told the rest of the them. “Boo Yee, what’s Hae Rin’s last name?”

Boo Yee looked up. “Kim. Why?”

“On this birth certificate, she’s Lee Hae Rin,” he told them.

The pieces began to fall together.

“So does this mean,” Boo Yee spoke up slowly, not believing, “that Hae Rin’s dad is . . .”

“Lee Soo-Man, owner of . . .” Minho started.

“SM Entertainment?” Taemin finished for him, shocked.

All eyes turned to Jin, who nodded. “I guess it does. This certificate is original.”

Taemin looked through the rest of the papers in the box. “Some of these are letters addressed to Uncle Lee,” he said. “Some are pictures of Hae Rin as she was growing up. And this . . .” He lifted out a necklace with a silver locket and a silver ring on it.

“That must be Hyun Mi’s,” Jin said.

“We have to let Hae Rin know, right?” Boo Yee asked.

Jin nodded grimly. “Yes, we have to let Hae Rin know the truth.”

 

At the hospital, the doctor went into Hae Rin’s room, holding a clipboard. “Miss Kim Hae Rin?” he said.

Hae Rin sat up woozily. “Yes?”

“It’s a good thing you were taken here early,” the doctor said. “You lost a lot of blood.”

Hae Rin knew that. “Okay,” she said. “When can I get out?”

The doctor sighed and looked right into her eyes. “We ran your blood for another test we have to carry around here. And . . .”

“And . . .?”