Sweetness and Consequences

Friendship & Love

Minho shrugged nonchalantly. “I guess it is because . . .” he said, thinking carefully of his choices of words, “. . . because I want to get to know you. You’re quite unique, you know.”

“Unique?” Boo Yee didn’t get it.

“I mean, you don’t treat me like I’m famous. I mean, I may still be a trainee but everyone already seemed to know who I am and all the girls are after me like I’m some prize,” he elaborated. “You talk to me as me, Choi Minho, the normal person.”

She nodded, satisfied with the answer. “Well, you are normal,” she replied. “I mean, yeah, you’re famous and every girl wants you like you’re up for grabs. But sometimes, there’s more than fame and money to people.”

He nodded, glad that that was how she felt toward fame and idols. “That’s the reason why I wanna hang out with you. By the way, please call me Oppa.” He gave her a wink.

Boo Yee blushed.

 

Back at the SHINee’s dorm in the kitchen, their manager, Choi Jin, asked Key, “How was the first day of school?”

Key grinned. “Great. I made some new friends,” he told him.

“You should invite them over sometime to hang here,” Jin said, smiling.

“My friend Hae Rin might come tomorrow to help me with history,” Key told him, not realizing that he had this dreamy look on his face, which, unfortunately, the maknae of the group, Taemin, noticed the moment he stepped inside the kitchen boundaries.

“Ohh,” he said with a look of understanding. “Key hyung’s got a new crush!”

“I do not,” Key protested.

Onew came inside. “Taemin, leave Key’s love life alone.”

“Oh, fine, yeesh,” Taemin muttered to himself, obviously upset his fun was ruined. “You know how to ruin my fun.”

Key rolled his eyes as Onew turned to Jin. “Hey, what’s the next game plan?” the leader asked their manager.

“You boys have a show this Saturday. You are invited to see Super Junior’s concert and could make a show of yourself there.”

Key had a brilliant idea. “Can I invite my friends to watch?”

Jin shrugged. “Sure. Will you invite that girl you’re talking about?”

Key nodded. “Yeah . . .” He blushed when Onew and Taemin smirked. “Yah, sikkeureo!” he yelled at them even though they did not say anything.

“Okay, well, now it’s time for you to do your homework!” Jin said with a grin. “Man, I haven’t had homework in ages.”

“You can help me with mine,” Key suggested hopefully.

Jin pulled a face. “Fat chance. Now, shoo!”

 

Back at Hae Rin’s house, Jonghyun yelled from the living room, “Are you done yet?!”

She brought the tray of food to the living room. “I made lasagna and salad,” she said, setting the food in front of her brother. “Western food for you today.”

“Okay. Appa won’t be home until next Thursday,” Jonghyun told her. “Anyway, go do your homework and no phone calls or else . . .” He left the threat hanging.

“Okay.” She walked to her room and closed the door. “At least I won’t see Appa for a while,” she murmured, sitting on her desk and opening up her book.

An hour later . . .

 

Cause you're hot then you're cold

You're yes then you're no

You're in then you're out

You're up then you're down

You're wrong when it's right

It's black and it's white

We fight, we break up

We kiss; we make up (you)

You don't really want to stay, no (but you)

But you don't really want to go-o

 

“Crap it!” she cursed, grabbing her cell phone, fumbling to press the green button to answer the phone. “Why didn’t I put this on silent mode?!” She answered the call. “Yeobosaeyo?” she whispered in a strangled voice.

“Hae Rin?” the caller said through the other end of the receiver. He sounded a bit confused, wondering if he had gotten the right number.

“Who’s this?”

“It’s, uh . . . Key . . .”

She frowned in confusion. Kim Kibum? The new kid in school? “How’d you get —?” she started to say before realization hit. “You asked Boo Yee, didn’t you?”

“Well, yeah,” he said, sounding sheepishly to have asked her best friend for her number. “Am I disturbing you?”

“Not really . . . why’d you call?”

“Well, uh . . .” Over at the other line where Hae Rin couldn't see, Key rubbed his neck. “Do you wanna come watch Super Junior’s concert this Saturday?”

“Uh . . .” Hae Rin had to think quickly. “I guess I could but I’ll have to ask my oppa.”

“Boyfriend?”

“No, he’s my older brother,” she replied just as Jonghyun entered the room. Speak of the devil, she thought grimly. “Uh, Key, I have to go. Bye.” She hurriedly hung up and looked down to the floor.

“What the hell did I say about phone calls?” Jonghyun shouted.